Which airline serves the best food in business?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)

• Cashsuds
    Participant

Certainly not SQ. I have had “rotten” salads, and their “Book the cook” was a real joke. Asked for a nice piece of salmon and got something real salty, unedible and good to throw back at the cook. The normal fare was plentiful but its something out of “Tacobell”. Of late they have reduced their quality of their wines!! so now, you can’t pretend to be sloshed enough to appreciate their food. Cannot understand how BT ranks them so highly in their surveys..

Yes, BA is excellent. Sure they do not have those “sexy” looking Singapore gals, Hey, folks, I just wanna get from A to B well fed and rested..

Hess963
    Participant

Hi again eveyone !!

Wow-cashsuds–that must be” a hell of flight”–but do not generalize your picture of ” Book the Cook”. In most of my flights I used this service–have not experienced such aspects which you have pictured.
    Instead I always have the meal I wanted and never served ” inedible” food–but one of the best catering regarding the quality.

Why do not you forward your experience to SQ and share us their answers !

Cashsuds
    Participant

Hi-everyone, including Hess,

This is the reply on another incident I had on BTC on SQ. I must add that specifically my comments are about the service from Sydney, Singapore and London just two weeks ago.
    ==================================================

Thank you for your email dated 2 October 2009. I am writing on behalf of Ms Goy Hsu Mae as she is currently on maternity leave.

I would first like to thank you for giving us more details on the Book The Cook meal that was served to you on SQ233/13 September 2009. It is most concerning to learn that the chicken rice was served cold and no chilli sauce was provided with the meal. Please be assured that I have personally highlighted your comments and observations to our Food and Beverage Manager.
    He will follow up with our caterer in Singapore to improve the dish.

In addition, our cabin crew have also been reminded to heat up the meals at the correct temperature to avoid overcooking the meals.

Turning to your other query, as you already know, we do not have our own Silver Kris Lounge in Seoul. Thus, we have contracted the use of the Asiana Airlines lounge for our First and Business class passengers as well as our frequent flyer members.

I regret that our staff would not be able to invite you to the First Class Section of the Asiana Airlines Lounge. Kindly allow me to explain that we have an agreement with our Star Alliance partners that only passengers who are traveling in First Class on any Star Alliance carrier are allowed into the First Class Section of the Star Alliance lounge. Due to the limited seating capacity in the First Class lounge, this access policy has been implemented out of fairness to passengers who have paid premium fares to travel in First Class.
    In addition, we have a mutual agreement with our partners to maintain the exclusivity of the lounge for our First Class passengers. I seek your kind understanding on this matter.

In the case of our own Silver Kris Lounges, our Solitaire passengers are invited to the First class section of our lounge, no matter what class of travel they are flying with us.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to correspond with you, Feedback from our Solitaire PPS Club members will certainly keep us up-to-date with our customers’ views and expectations as well as to take appropriate action to improve on our improve on our services. Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to your continued support of our airline.

Yours sincerely

Felicia Phua
    Customer Affairs Manager

=============================================

That’s another matter re: Solitaire PPS privileges which I have taken up in another section of the forum which is more appropriate…

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

Hess963
    Participant

Hi again everyone !!

Cashsuds–thanks for sharing us your reply letter from SQ.
    Believe me I am shocked to read that the SQ crew on that flight are not able to serve you their signature dish — Singapore Chicken Rice properly–how odd ?

Hope not to experience such disgraceful situations when flying SQ again. It does not really fit to its image of an airline which won accolades for decades and regarding to be the industry’s leading airline regarding to the great consistent service praised and copied by other leading airlines–and now this stupid rookie error of not heating up properly and leaving sauces out.

Cashsuds
    Participant

Quote”DavidPeace – 11/10/2009 16:39 GMT
    When I want to buy some bread I go to the chemist, when I want meat I go to the hairdressers and when I want a really great meal and then complain about it I get on an airplane!”
    Did we miss the point here? It’s the airlines that raises the expectations of food quality with their “food expert panels” and “world famous sommeliers” in the first instance! They also need to justify the “high” prices they charge. I would have personally preferred not to eat on board or just good basic food to keep going!!

JackyLek
    Participant

Since is was mention steak here, I must say Continental in BusinessFirst from Manchester to Newark was really tasty, then with Emirates from Hong Kong to Bangkok. The worst food serve in Business I have noticed is with Cathay Pacific, the food is always cold when its my turn to choose from the trolley so the taste is like a micro food. Is really sucks that CX not bring it out when is ready.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi Jacky !!

I had the experience the other way round. CO steak’s on my flight was terrible–it was almost fat and less meat. And with CX whether it is regional or long haul–food was always great–but they can make the main course portion a bit bigger.

Cashsuds
    Participant

I have another “gripe” Bread is basically the staple – correct?? No, I do not know of any airline who can make it or serve it right!! is this a problem?? I think the Germans and the Italians make pretty the best bread around the world. But… even if you fly SQ from FRA, or Milano, the bread served on board is pretty disgusting.. Other airlines try- but to no avail. I can buy good bread at the airport, take it up on board and it beats the airlines bread, time after time.. Something the airline doesn’t understand???

Hess963
    Participant

It is true–about the bread stuff ! I personally eat my meals with bread-whether it is wheat bread, brown bread etc..more important is– they are WARM and not stone cold !! Some airlines do not learn how to serve it rightly. This is only one small aspect of service–but it should be done properly.

JackyLek
    Participant

Hi Hess

How funny I think the portion CX is large ….. hmmmmm maybe we got different trolleys : ) —-

But one thing I know is that one airline I can count on 9 out of 10 is tasty Austrian Airlines.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi Jacky !!

Well, I am referring firstly to the portion on C class. You know that oval plate-it is not big,– isn’t? For me–it depends on my hunger as well–it is just average portion–I do think we got different trolleys…. : ) ——!

Very good comparison here Jacky–OS catering as I have said before is one of the best. The Chef onboard never said no–if I wanted an extra side or did not like my main course and got another one.

Well, I have to confess–I like German/Austrian food–so the food choice and taste as well as portion–hasn’t been a topic-it is always the food like at home.

One example–SQ and CX breakfast option of dim sum–for Asians–3 or four small pieces are okay—for Europeans probably too small( if most of us eat dim sum for breakfast–we probably need double the portion –around 6 or 7 small pieces)–so most Europeans get disappointed, if they get small portions, ’cause normally it is too shameful to ask for more (especially when there is nothing left to ask for) !–it seems so greedy, although one is only hungry.

travelgirl
    Participant

I am surprised at the good reports of BA Catering. I have never had a decent mean on BA and J class to Antigua recently was a disaster. 2 choices and one had run out by the time I was served. Miserable service with moaning between the crew which I do not need to hear whilst trying to relax with a glass of wine. Also I have seen the catering at Gatwick and I would never eat an economy meal, as cost per meal is everything and taste and quality are not a consideration.

VibhasB
    Participant

For me, hands down it’s Singapore Airlines. Consistently of a high quality. I once had a baked Baramundi in Banana Leaf (it’s a fish) and it remains one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten, period.

VibhasB
    Participant

For me, hands down it’s Singapore Airlines. Consistently of a high quality. I once had a baked Baramundi in Banana Leaf (it’s a fish) and it remains one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten, period.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls