Which airline serves the best food in business?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)

• Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

NTarrant
    Participant

I agree 100% VK about the cup of tea on BA, I am particular about tea and how much milk goes in, I can honestly say that I can’t think of when if at all they got it horribly wrong.

It was a pleasure last week returning JER-LGW in CE, probably the best salmon salad I have had in many a year and a great cup of tea to finish, twice.

thertsak
    Participant

I like food served on SQ, TG, CX in that order.

MarcusUK
    Participant

With full high quality restaurant, or cook to order services of SQ at SIN, & MH at KL, few airlines provide much at their home hub.

A great asset to sit alongside on board foods for medium haul flights perhaps…

RahulSabharwal
    Participant

Emirates 🙂

pat_travels
    Participant

Emirates A380 experience was not all about the amazing aircraft BUT the inflight service. Champagne and wine selection was only ok – I felt rather limited, however the food was amazing.

At the bar the pastries, tartlets and nibbles were just perfect both savoury and sweet offerings.

David
    Participant

Whilst I agree that BA offers a very fine cup of tea, I have to say their coffee is a major, major weakpoint. On European short-hauls (in J class), I don’t even bother ordering coffee onboard any longer, and tend to take a proper cup of java with me from one of the nearby gate coffee outlets. It would be a nice touch to be be able to take a take-away cup of coffee from either the FIRST lounge or Concorde Room!

Back to the primary discussion, my vote goes to Qatar Airways (an amazing meal, even on the 40 min flight between Doha and Dubai).

PAMPASBULL
    Participant

Most airline food no matter what class of cabin one is in is pretty poor to be honest.
    Business Class food especially has taken a bit of a dive recently, in quality as well as in presentation. Although Emirates still seem to be able to manage good standards compared to the rest of the major carriers.

andrew007
    Participant

I do not know which flights the defenders of BA take but they are certainly not on the West Africa route. Never more than 2 starters to choose from and a more limited choice for mains. I voted with my feet since my last post (February) and now use one of the alternatives, almost all of which bar Emirates offer a far more attracttive C class fare. Since February I have recently used Ethiopian; even they offer 4 mains including meat, fish and veggie options. In addition, on daytime flights out of Addis you can have the additional option of an Ethiopian plate between the appitiser and main. So much did I enjoy this that I took a second portion of this and skipped the main offerings. Accepted, that food is not for all but I believe the airline is to be credited for their immagination.
    In the last 6 months I have had another dismal experience on SAA where choices have been cut to just 2 mains and in my mind quality has taken a similar dive to BA. I have flowen shorter regional sectors on KQ in both business and economy and, perhaps oddly, they offer a bigger meal to Y class passengers than C class on some of these routes.
    Noting the bad experience a previous poster had on KLM I must say that I usually find them very good. I am sometimes frustrated by the fact evening flights have only 2 main choices and both of these a meat – I prefer to avoid meat at this time of day. What I do like though is that they offer a generous light starter plate – usually fish inspired (accept that is no good for a portion of customers either). This I find often will suffice, especially as they serve breakfast just a few short hours later. A word too on their short haul C class offerings. This was revamped a while back and now comes in a box and offers two contrasting dishes. Most recently I was served dried smoked beef on a bed of parmisan cream accompanied with balls of mozerella filled with honey in one serving. The other was scones in a raspberry compote served with fresh strawberries – both fresh, adequate servings for a one hour flight and offered with an excellent cup of coffee and premium quality orange juice.
    Finally, a word on Thai; this is an airline I use to like very much but my most recent experience saw their C class offering make the transition to some variation of nouvelle cuisine with no choice on their regional routes (up to 3 hours).
    Shall continue to follow this thread with interest.

samidxb
    Participant

For me its Qatar Airways on their ultra longhaul route to IAD. The cutlery, food, service was outstanding and more of dining in a 5 star restaurant. SQ is more or less very consistent. As mentioned, most of these airlines concentrate on the ultralong haul and don’t give much importance on short and medium haul flights. The Korean choice on OZ is also very good.

claredankj
    Participant

recently flew to and from trinidad with BA food very good both ways

StephenJWhitworth
    Participant

Considering the cramped conditions on airlines and the sheer volume of food being cooked, all served at 30,000 feet frankly airlines do very well. A few years ago before on demand TV on aircraft, and notebbok computers, the only real diversion from a long flight was a meal or two. Nowadays it is less important. Some lounges enable you to eat a decent meal before boarding a night-time or even day time flight. Many passengers do in any case lounge or not. There is no answer to this question just like a restaurant, sometimes a meal will not be good, sometimes memorable. I am afraid too that in many years of travel I have had my best main courses in economy class! Perhaps becuase all courses are served at once, and re-heating is more consistent ( as in bulk). They cater for wide tastes although you will get some regional varieties say going to or from China or India. Yes I know its fiddly with the foil containers and I never understand why there is a shortage of tissues, but food can be enhanced thinking how much you save compared to the guy a few metres forward, that you can if you wish spend on a slap up meal sometime later on arrival! If you really wanted a great meal you would not choose a restaurant that careers through the air at 500mph in a rarefied atmosphe, sometimes shaking so much coffee/tea service is stopped and in which the aisle is more like a station causeway than a relaxing corner of some Taverna. You get what you should expect, and airlines that do not try to emulate badly 5 star restaurants but take into account the environment food is being served will always do better.

DavidPeace
    Participant

When I want to buy some bread I go to the chemist, when I want meat I go to the hairdressers and when I want a really great meal and then complain about it I get on an airplane!

TominScotland
    Participant

I would not agree that KLM Business Class food is rubbish – predictable, yes; boring maybe but consistent. Be careful, however, in using KL code share flights with partners. China Southern Business Class AMS-PEK-CAN (sold as a KL flight) produced what must be the worst breakfast I have encountered in many years of flight and served with not so much as a “good morning”.

Binman62
    Participant

BA food in First is superb. Best steak I have ever eaten was in August on a flight from Sydney to Singapore. Their food is complemented by a superb wine selection and crew who actually understand what it is they are serving. SQ also very good but service and style is robotic.
    Best Business meal was on QANTAS LHR SIN. The bangers and mash was simply fabulous and washed down with a deep red from Margaret River. The plated service
    (no trays for main meals) also felt very personal. Sadly my last experience on Qantas in First Class and on the A380 was very ordinary. The wine list was dull, unimaginative, written on some A4 and devoid of anything French. The starters in First, I discovered later, were also available Business.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls