Which airline serves the best food in business?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)

• CaliforniaDreaming
    Participant

I just got back from Shanghai on United, and the normally shabby service is now worse than ever! United served Mumm Napa in Business Class and hot unattractive and unpalatable (though not inedible) goop on a tray. I think the choices were chicken chunks w/ rice, “filet mignon” like meat, and fried fish in sweet sticky sauce.

What is the point in serving such garbage? I understand that United is losing money by the fistful, but the frugality instituted by the carrier is really bordering on ridiculous.

DavidPeace
    Participant

Simply Emirates

MatthewDavis
    Participant

Singapore Airlines for sure. When departing certain ports you can even pre select meals through ‘book the cook’ which is an additional menu to the standard meals available on board. This is available to First & Business Class passengers.

pat_travels
    Participant

I am a frequent BA Club flyer. The food has certainly deteriorated in the last few months and I wholly agree with Andrew007 who commented in Feb about the poor quality of BA food.

Not only quality but choice, on BA 138 BOM-LHR 17APR there were only two choices for mains, an indian dish and a fish dish – not very imaginative and I ended up having a crew meal. On the return leg BA199 LHR-BOM 25APR the choice was 2 Indian dishes or Lamb cutlets, of course the lamb cutlets went in a matter of minutes! BUT worse was the seasonal salad……it was a sad, sorry plate of lettuce. Not even a selection of varieties of lettuce!

Three points to make, BA is obviously cutting back on quantity and quality. Although these were Indian routed flights, it does not mean Indian cuisine should be the predominant flavour. This is BA after all and if passengers want the Indian delights they can choose Jet, Kingfisher or Air India who all ply the same route and I am sure they serve up lots of Indian food. Thirdly BA should cut fares if they are going to cut service. Final point I love Indian food!

Cameron
    Participant

First Class with Gulf Air was truely excellent. All food was prepared by an onboard chef, who took time after take off to speak with all passengers on meal preferences. Some of the dishes were then prepared freshly onboard.

AAAli58
    Participant

I have travelled with most Airlines across the 5 continents and must admit menus vary from flight to flight. But in general with Singapore Airlines I have never been dissappointed. European Airlines fare better than its US counterpart in this category too. In ME Etihad and Gulf Air improving and offering better menus than Emirates now.

AlexanderJ
    Participant

I think the worst I’ve ever had was BA Club Europe – absolutely disgusting.
    BA Club World is generally OK but not as good as Emirates.
    Ethihad is far above all others in my opinion, love the menus and way of ordering.

Jet is quite good as has been said but you have to be a curry lover!

aviationfan
    Participant

If you like Indian food, Jet Airways serves up great business class meals. Nice to wash down with Dom Perignon too.

bmidcfan
    Participant

KLM business class food is rubbish. had two nasty experiences, one recently from Lima to AMS and another sometime back from SIN to AMS. Like Malaysian – better satay than SQ, Austrian on borad chef is good. Some years back on AF had great food but no choices of movies in English on a 747 from Paris to Mexico – told by the chief steward that the plane was fom Paris and they speak FeRench and in Mexico they speak Spanish, so only movies in thosse two languages! That put a stop to my adventures on AF! had really bad meal on SQ from the Maldives to SIN. A rotten sandwich!

MarcusUK
    Participant

The answer is that British Airways serve HALF the amount of food in Business Class long haul.
    Follow the sign to “Fridge” for yr and meal, where you can help yourself to pre-packed sanwiches .

(BA to discontinue 2nd meal service on long haul premium flights &no food on flights less than 2.5 hrs).

Singapore appear to always have the finest foods & retain “Book the Cook”. Their SIN lounge array of foods are also impeccable.

Etihad also has fine food, menu a-la carte as & when you like, served in an individual way in Premium classes. No trolleys, everything individually prepared. Excellent choice of savoury as well as sweet dishes, healthy snacks, or meal.
    I agree, most European airlines don’t come close to these standards.

RHMAngel
    Participant

Virgin in Upper Class is v.good…order on demand – and their ethnic food choice to the destination is excellent, never turned down if I know I’ll like it…(plus I always get to their Heathrow lounge early, as that onsite restaurant is superb)

Singapore Airlines also v.good…But worst ever was biz-class food on BMI, yuk (experienced only once, thank god)… but overall – sorry no offence to Americans, but biz class food on any US airline is the dog’s dinner 🙁

Like others, I marvel at how some airlines (named above) can serve restaurant quality food from tins…even if they do deliver it on china with silver cultery…

Hess963
    Participant

For most frequent flyers, it really depends on how good is the onboard meal on your flight at that moment. They are certain factors which help to minimize certain bad experiences, for example “book the cook” of SQ, F class pre order special meals of TG or certain food/beverage managers on board the aircraft like EY, GF.

Just let me give my personal opinion regarding which airlines gives the best catering in

First Class: -Swiss Airlines/Lufthansa
    -Etihad Airways
    -Gulf Airways
    -Singapore Airlines
    – Emirates
    Business Class: -Singapore Airlines
    – Etihad Airways
    -Emirates
    – Air New Zealand
    Premium Economy:–Air New Zealand

GerryHodes
    Participant

Having tried most of the mainline carriers, Etihad, on a recent flight to Sydney, stands out. Why? Because they’re trying harder to please and that’s why BMI comes second, even in economy short haul.
    BTW, the (British) sandwich on BA economy I had last weekend, flying Tegel-LHR was a perfect product and nicely served too. Perhaps they finally have the message and I can return to BA, after years of boycott?

BeanoCat
    Participant

Having worked in the Airline Catering industry for 12 years i would never eat economy meals at all!
    BA economy meals for LHR are made in Holland and sent by freezer truck several times a week

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls