Which airline serves the best food in business?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)

• claredankj
    Participant

2 years ago i flew 1st class with emirates to sydney and back (first time)and the food, drinks and sevice was fantastic
    next on my list comes virgin upper class
    and then business and 1st class with BA

JoshuaP
    Participant

Jet Airways domestic flights – the curries are incredible. Even for breakfast.

excessbaggage
    Participant

I had heard good things about the satay speciality on Malaysia airlines flights, but have to say i was disappointed with the quality of the meat. Best food for me was on Air New Zealand business class – good piece of lamb.

Nuremberg-Blue
    Participant

Cetainly don´t agree with B.T on United Airlines (flight check Jan 22)The food was awful and the service in December 2008 was terrible. flew from Chicago to Amsterdam. I would pick British Airways for it´s food.

domperignon
    Participant

I have to disagree, on BA club mru-LHW, this was the worst food I ever had, my fellow passengers agreed it was a joke and not edible, we tried the snacks in the open kitchen and it got worse (melted chocolate snacks, frozen cheese sandwiches ) . shame on you BA.

Waddsey1
    Participant

I have had great food with BA in Club Europe – Club World and First (the latter having high quality fish courses and cheese plates) and Lufthansa business.

I believe the food in premium cabins is to a good standard across many airlines but economy will always be poor given the number of passengers to feed, the limits of the galley and the speed within which the on board service needs to be completed.

andrew007
    Participant

IIn recent times I have flown business long haul with BA, Emirates, Lufthansa, KLM, SAA and TAP and on regional routes with Austrian, BA, BMI, LOT, Lufthansa and TAP in Europe and Air Burkina, Air Ivoire, Kenyan and Senegal International regionally in West Africa.
    I generally enjoy eating when I fly though my diet is slightly restrictive, not least by my need to avoid cream. BA (my most regular carrier) has become disappointing and undergone what seems a noticeable decline in quality during the last 9 months. My last 6 long haul flights have seen a choice of 2 starters feature smoked salmon or a veggie alternative, less imaginative than the offerings such as crab, mains also seem to have been limited to a narrower pool of dishes. Desserts are usually tasty if not dumped in cream in advance but the allocation of oatcakes to go with cheese plates is dire (and according to the crew directly linked to the numbers who fly in the cabin). Emirates provide an incredible 5 course feast, usually too much for me, but offer a decent lite option. Lufthansa always seem to offer a good quality meal with good selection whilst SAA failed to have a single choice free of cream on my last flight and TAP was very disappointing (dry fish parcels of some type) and offered no choices. Ironically TAP (in Lisbon), together with Emirates (at Gatwick) offer some very good pre flight dining options.
    In Europe BA is fair but I feel eclipsed both by Austrian and Lufthansa in terms of quality and quantity. BMI has greatly deteriorated in recent years whilst LOT (though providing a menu and choices) is also somewhat disappointing against the first three mentioned and TAP in the same category. Meanwhile in Africa Air Ivoire (on any flight over an hour) stands head and shoulders above all others in the food department with some super French inclined with Senegal International and Virgin Nigeria dismal. I am yet to find any offering more attrative bet but portions sure.

MrPJBrangan
    Participant

In the last five years that I have been flying with Gulf Air the food in J Class has just been geting better and better and I would now say that it is out standing. It is so nice to have fresh scrambled eggs for Breakfast.

M.Moose
    Participant

Flown business (all long-haul) on Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific and British Airways. I must say, Singapore Airlines is my pick. Food is warm and fresh, looks like it’s just been cooked (as oppose to being heated up).

drwayne
    Participant

I agree with several of the above threads regarding curries and stews on board. They are more resilient to reheating and usually tastes fine when served. I had some lovely vegetarian curries on Air India business class.

I travelled BA First last year and I found the food to be disappointing. The presentation was great, the service superb, but the taste was not quite there, except for the risotto, which, again, is resilient to reheating.

judynagy
    Participant

I agree with many of you – certain foods are always delicious on an airplane. Why can’t the airlines figure this out and just consistently serve food that is good “warmed up” or cold? There must be hundreds of dishes that would fit this category. Continental now serves the most delicious soups up front, as well as a shrimp salad, for instance. And I remember not too long ago … you couldn’t even eat the food in first class on Continental!

CaliforniaDreaming
    Participant

Gone are the days when First Class meant getting a 30g jar of Ossetra caviar as an appetizer with multiple samplings of the main dish if one is not pleased with his choice (Lufthansa First Class SFO-FRA).

I like Singapore, Korean, Asiana, and Cathay. Clearly, the Asian carriers pay much more attention to their food than others carriers. Korean’s bibimbop is really fantastic. I was actually quite shocked by the poor quality of food on Air France’s Business Class recently. It was simply inedible!

BA and Lufthansa have palatable selections, but you eat out of boredom not out of enjoyment of the food.

I make a point to eat at the hotel or have them pack up a “picnic” lunch for me. It’s much more preferable to the airline lounge (albeit the Asian lounges are somewhat acceptable).

PeterWilson3
    Participant

My wife and I regularly travel Business class. Our worst experience was with Delta airlines through Alanta. My wife is lac/int which we let the airline know beforehand. All she got going out was first the standard salad,…followed by another salad!!
    We complained on landing. we were told to cancel the lactose free meal for the return flight and talk to the chief steward on the return flight before take-off. We did and she told us, we should have eaten before getting on the plane! then proceded to serve everyone else first.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

MrPJBrangan
    Participant

I have found flight after flight Gulf Air to be miles in front when it comes to food, they even have a on board Chef to over see the service. What more can you say.

BA’s club world food is patchy; sometimes good and sometime not. But there is one overriding problem with food on BA (which stretches up to FIRST); they only know two temperatures; hot and cold. Anything that should be served at ambient/room temperature is invariably served too cold. Except when it is too hot.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls