Where Do You Change Your Currency?

Back to Forum
Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

When I need to buy some Euros I tend to pre-order from Travelex at LHR T3 but I check around first and price match cheaper rates if I can find them. All travelex web purchases offer Price Promise VK. I also watch the currency movements. Currently I would wait as long as possible. I am only looking at small change for Taxis and tips for each trip. Used to use American Express but they seem to have tried to move out of this space. They will not longer accept cheques from Platinum or Centurion card holders so you get penalized by Debit or credit card companies and they impose a 200 or 300 UKL minimum.
    All other currencies (except UKL) I take Dollars and change locally.

As an aside, I am old enough to remember the devlauations of sterling in the 1960’s and 1980’s. I remeber walking into a main office of Lloyds Bank in Los Angeles (WIlshire I think) in teh 1980’s and they did not want to change my sterling. Took half an hour of arguing with managers and phone calls to New York before they would and even though spot was virtual parity I think I got 90 cents to the pound.
    I say all this as I find the current near collapse of the Euro soemwhat troubling and hope it does not become difficult to get Bureaux de Change to accept Euros. I was interested in Fortaleza airport Brazil in 2009 they would accept Euros and USD but not UKL for conversion. I wonder what the reaction woudl be now?

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls