Where do they go

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

• Anonymous

HongKongLady
    Participant

Saw a cruise ship actually 2 one at each side of the passenger terminal at Sydney, two days later they were back, where had they been in that short time ? Any ideas ?

NTarrant
    Participant

Did you see the name of the ship or company?

Wasborntotravel
    Participant

Hi HKL P&O do a series of 3 day cruises out into the Ocean that are themed so Comedy Cruises, Food and Wine etc. There are no additional ports of call

NTarrant
    Participant

Wasborntotravel – which P&O ships are you refering to? The only P&O ships visiting Australia are Aurora and Arcadia and they don’t arrive until 22nd and 27th respectively and they are only on one day visits.

Papillion53
    Participant

Good morning HKLady – hope this finds you well! 🙂

Here’s a link – http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_operations/cruise_schedule

Looks like the Pacific Pearl, (a new P&O ship – well I shall qualify that as “new” to their Australia brand, having sailed under other names previously) left on the 7th, back on the 10th – probably as wasborntotravel said on some sort of “themed” party cruise or so-called “booze cruise”! Not recommended but highly popular for obvious reasons! I think they just head out to sea and come back – no other destination.

I see my favourite ship (so far in my limited cruising experiences!) – the wonderful Seabourn Quest there also – now if you ever want to be pampered at sea, she’s the one! :-)))))

HongKongLady
    Participant

It was indeed the Pacific pearl she was also joined by the Pacific Jewel, they seemed to arrive and leave together. A very short cruise, although here in HK we have one Star Cruises that goes out every night and back the following morning.
    Papillion53 I also saw the Seabourn Quest, it is a very busy port for cruises. I stayed at the Shangrila with a perfect view of the action.
    I have never tried a cruise, I like the idea of visiting different places and only unpacking once, but lots of people at such close quarters does not appeal.
    Thanks for the information everyone.

Wasborntotravel
    Participant

NTarrant

If you follow the link below P&O have 3 ships based in Australia

http://www.pocruises.com.au/pages/default.aspx

and it shows the 3 day trips they do

NTarrant
    Participant

Thanks for that Wasborntotravel.

Hongkonglady – cruising is a great way of having a taster of places that you possibly might not think about going to on a holiday. If you go for the smaller ships then whilst there are a number of people it is not as bad as one of the larger mega ships.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Yes I agree that would be better NTarrant. I saw the Queen Mary 2 today she is docked in Hong Kong.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

QM2 is an amazing ship. Only done Southampton to New York in November a few years ago but what an experience. Can’t wait to try the ship again on one of its warmer cruises out East.

My dream trip is the Round the World in First. 120 days I believe Southampton to Southampton!

Papillion53
    Participant

HKLady – we did a transatlantic cruise on the Seabourn Quest a couple of years ago, and it was truly fabulous. There was I think around 350 guests and it never, ever felt like it, at times it was like being on a private yacht without all the expense! I’m like you I hate crowds of people especially the thought of being “trapped” with them all and some of those huge cruise ships with 3000 pax fill me with horror. I can honestly say the only time we maybe saw most of our fellow sailors was on one afternoon at sea when the staff held a “tug of war” competition and everyone was lined up around the pool and decks – I remember saying to the DH “where did all these people come from!”

It was true pampering at sea, with beautiful suites and the staff and crew could not have done more for us.

We have two cruises booked for later this year – I am so looking forward to those lovely, lazy days at sea and exploring new ports of call!! :-))))

Good evening papillion

I have never cruised and my mum is forever trying to convert me. I love ferries and the idea of always being on the move appeals to me, but the thought of having to make polite conversation with strangers every evening does not. Any thoughts?

Papillion53
    Participant

Good evening to you to Mr A!:-)))

Well us too! But the lovely thing about the so-called “luxury lines” and some other lines now, is that they don’t have set dining on set tables, so you can dine when you want, where you want and with whoever you want, or not! We like each others company so we do quite like a table for two, but in saying that we have had lots of fun and made friends just by a chance comment over cocktails pre-dinner and ended up having dinner with our “new” friends.

What we found was that we travelled with like minded people who appreciate a good conversation, but don’t feel the need or even want to make new best buddies for the whole trip. In saying that we did make friends with one couple who we still keep in touch with and did sail on another cruise with, but we were not attached to the hip all the holiday. In fact some days we didn’t see them at all! On that cruise, we met up with another couple who we had briefly met at the pre-cruise hotel – and the 6 of us regularly had the “naughty table” in whichever restaurant we were in! It turned out the two couples had mutual friends and lived quite near each other in California!

We have met some very interesting and entertaining people from all over the world whilst cruising and although we like visiting new places, the long, lazy days at sea when all you have to worry about is what you’re going to have for your next meal or shall I have another glass of champagne – there is something absolutely mesmerising about watching the sea – and if a dolphin or two passes by, then that truly is magical! I like being “lazy” as I never get a chance to be so “lazy” at home!

We’ve sailed with Silversea and Seabourn and are trying out Oceania later this year, so will be interesting as that will be a new experience for us on slightly bigger ships but they do have a reputation for the best food at sea! So that’s a done deal!

The other thing I really like is unpacking once – and your “hotel” moves without you having to – and if you choose Silversea, all the suites have butlers so they will do it for you, if you so wish. I prefer to do my own unpacking and packing, but my friend just arrives in her suite, and opens the case and leaves it to the butler! No thank you, I prefer to sort out my own Rigby and Pellers!! 😉 🙂 Please don’t tell me you had to google R&P! I bet VK didn’t have to!!!

Anyway, don’t Mums always know best??? 😉 :-))))

VintageKrug
    Participant

When an over the shoulder boulder holder is required, there’s really no place else to go, is there Mme Butterfly! 😉

I’ve not done a Seabourn, but I like the idea of it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls