Where BA First class has gone?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

And I am not a fan of the Middle Eastern. I’ll be in a couple of days in the QR B787. Let’s see what the latest product looks like.

BA First class is what it looks like, I flew it last month.

YellowBelly
    Participant

I flew BA First last Saturday out of Heathrow on a B747 (four years since I last used the First cabin). My impressions:
    1. The service was good and certainly better than Club World.
    2. Food and drink very good. Excellent Malbec and a good Malt.
    3. The seat is a little better than Club World and certainly more private (I had a side window seat).
    4. The overall condition of the interior was OK but could have been better/cleaner.

My biggest disappointment though was the cramped feeling once you left your seat. I had forgotten just how small the First cabin feels with fourteen seats crammed in.

I am EC Gold so use the First lounges regularly and as I departed T3 I did not get the benefit of the Concorde Room in T5. (If BA is to continue long term using Terminal 3 at Heathrow should they not consider installing a Concorde Room there?)

So no complaints and a step up from Club World but should probably be rebranded Premium Club World rather than First.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Yellow Belly, very fair and balanced review.

YellowBelly
    Participant

Thanks FDOS_UK. I am back home on an overnight departing tomorrow and seated in CW in the bubble of a B747 so will see how that goes.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

WHy would you pay for F, on an overnight flight, when you have a J seat in the upper deck?

Good call and have a safe journey.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

[quote quote=760739]
    I am EC Gold so use the First lounges regularly and as I departed T3 I did not get the benefit of the Concorde Room in T5. (If BA is to continue long term using Terminal 3 at Heathrow should they not consider installing a Concorde Room there?)[/quote]

Surely a solution more in keeping with the way things are done at BA rather than open a Concorde Room in T3 they should just close the one in T5 and extend the F lounge?

I don’t understand why no one has yet implemented this cost saving, heads should roll. 😉

Swissdiver
    Participant

Agree, FDOS. But to be fair, the B787 business class products goes beyond the normal QR business class. QR itself promoted it initially as a business/first.

[quote quote=760397]And I am not a fan of the Middle Eastern. I’ll be in a couple of days in the QR B787. Let’s see what the latest product looks like.

BA First class is what it looks like, I flew it last month.

[/quote]

Flightlevel
    Participant

Yes, Ba CW is competitive and sometimes at good fares too. 1st is really only for Gold cards because their data is on crew Ipads, better are 2 centre seats in CW, you can share with your partner or if alone you have two screens (map and movies?) and 2 tables (drinks and meal!) and plenty of room for magasines, newspapers too!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Where window seats are a definite advantage, in CW, is upstairs on both the 747 & 380 (cant remember if the 787 benefits as well).. as you have extra space width due to the floor level storage bins between the seat and window.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

oopps the above post should have been made on the “My first flight on BA on Club class! Need advice” – not sure what happened there…

Welshman
    Participant

Just back from Bos in F and can’t comment on food as had dinner in lounge beforehand which was excellent. Service a bit iffy (all 14 seats occupied so very profitable flight for BA assuming all had paid?) as had changed into PJs before take off but then had to go looking for bedding/mattress as only one member of staff helping pas after take off while rest stayed in galley!! When I tried to help myself one of the girls offered to help!!

Flying next week to Joburg via DUB from MAN on EK in J so will be interested in comparison with CW but afraid only one flight on 380 as all other on old 777. Looking forward to trip to Sydney with Sing in F in new year but will probably then never want to fly BA F again after trip???

oneworldflier101
    Participant

I must say I am a bit gutted. I am going to HK in (paid) F on the A380 on 5 November. I have just looked at the pre-order meal choice, although you only chose the main course the menu is hopefully attached.

My thoughts are:
    – What a terrible menu.
    – No tasting menu, has it gone?
    – Smoked salmon I like but surely a normal Club starter?
    – No Fish main course? Just cold prawns?
    – Won ton soup sounds nice but on Qantas J a “snack” not part of the main menu

Am really disappointed. I know the amuse bouche has gone but the main menu has been seriously downgraded. Surely a (small) lobster starter and a fish main course used to be standard.

I tried to pre-book a T5 spa treatment availability only 6 hours before my flight in T5A or C.

I wish I had booked Cathay now and as in transit in HK will look forward to their lounge for a decent meal on arrival. I don’t feel this is BA bashing, I have travelled BA F many times over 15 ish years and this is a very poor cheap menu for tickets if I booked today £12k return.

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=760179]BA First will always be with us. It is where all the BA managers and their families sit when going on holiday, on their “free” staff tickets!
    Sometimes there is space for fare paying passengers….

[/quote]

Oh little note of bitterness there…..?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=769341]I must say I am a bit gutted. I am going to HK in (paid) F on the A380 on 5 November. I have just looked at the pre-order meal choice, although you only chose the main course the menu is hopefully attached.

My thoughts are:
    – What a terrible menu.
    – No tasting menu, has it gone?
    – Smoked salmon I like but surely a normal Club starter?
    – No Fish main course? Just cold prawns?
    – Won ton soup sounds nice but on Qantas J a “snack” not part of the main menu

Am really disappointed. I know the amuse bouche has gone but the main menu has been seriously downgraded. Surely a (small) lobster starter and a fish main course used to be standard.

I tried to pre-book a T5 spa treatment availability only 6 hours before my flight in T5A or C.

I wish I had booked Cathay now and as in transit in HK will look forward to their lounge for a decent meal on arrival. I don’t feel this is BA bashing, I have travelled BA F many times over 15 ish years and this is a very poor cheap menu for tickets if I booked today £12k return.

[/quote]

The tastng menu went a while ago.

I do agree, it would be an uninspiring menu in business class, but as a first class menu, it’s a joke.

Hopefully, your crew member will remember it is a dine on demand service and not just present you with a fait accompli.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Yes a lot of money for a very small bedroom on the A380 (atleast you sleep well) though you can get 6 Jclass tickets for that money and at some times a one way upgrade to 1st! Enjoy the comfort!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls