Where Art Thou Garuda?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

canucklad – it must be more than “a few years ago.” It must have been in those far off days when GA operated multi-stop B747 flights ex-Europe and when it was a price-cutter on the kangaroo roue.

From what everyone has said, the airline has vastly changed.

But I believe its new A330s do not have the range to operate Jakarta-London non-stop. So as with Jakarta-Amsterdam, the A330s will have to touch down en route. Correct me if I am wrong.

canucklad
    Participant

LondonCity – Youve just made me feel ancient-after a bit more thought -you’re right…We went out to my best mates wedding (me being the best man) in Sydney…They were just doing the final touches to the city before their big sporting event…How time flies–excuse the pun–and Garuda was chosen because they had really good deals and there was quite a big party travelling from EDI..

RichHI1
    Participant

A330 200 would be right on the limit for London at 7250. This is not an ideal equipment for that route.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In those far off days – must have been the 1980s – two airlines stood out for the best deals between Europe, Asia and Australia: Garuda and PAL (Philippine Airlines). Both operated multi-stop B747 flights and both were later banned from EU airspace on safety grounds. PAL is still banned.

Interestingly, in those days even SIA was a “bucket shop” airline which is hard to imagine today. Indeed SIA had a run in with the German government in the early 1980s because of its price-cutting out of FRA etc. In those days, SIA was as agressive in the marketplace as Emirates is today. How times change !

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

IIRC Air India were also up there with the cost cutters. I can remember going to Aus as a student and I flew with SIA but two friends flew with Air India for £20 less which was a significant amount.

I still think I got the better deal as their description of Air India was pretty dire.

RichHI1
    Participant

A330 200 would be at max for that route , so winds could require stops. They have ordered 777w’s which are supposedly for European routes inter alia. B777 200 LR would be able to run non stop to LHR and to US.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Rich- thanks for the info. The B777Ws probably have too many seats for London unless, perhaps, the flight was operated as a tag on from AMS.

Maybe GA would operate with A330s and stop en route in the Gulf as it does with its Jakarta-Amsterdam service.

RichHI1
    Participant

My vote would be Middle East stop over in terms of bith revenue generation and efficient ops. Assuming they get 5th freedom.

Garuda used to be very cheap to Australia, interesting to see if they revise this as a Skyteam LHR-SYD/MEL routing?

Vertrek
    Participant

I would say, that GA will utilise their B777 for direct flight to AMS and CDG for their passengers to connect to AF and KL flight for both inter-europe and East-coast American flight and perhaps use the current DXB stopover allowance to LHR using their A330 to further strengthen SkyTeam presence in T4. in this sense, passenger from DXB can travel to USA with a stopover at LHR in conjunction with Delta.

RichHI1
    Participant

Very long way round for Indonesian traffic, i think ME carriers wiuld lobby against losing traffic to US to Garuda/Delta. Probably viable for JFK, BOS, IAD but for West Coast, Chicago, DFW amd some connections to mexico and central America, pacific route works better. Non stop to JFK
    Would be too far for most PAX but connectin with Delta at West Coast would work.

LeTigre
    Participant

I agree that 77W volume is probably not present as yet for the LHR-Jakarta market.

Dubai would not be a good stopover because it is already a stopover for Royal Brunei and support 5 A380 flights a day plus the BA and VS ones. I would suggest Turkey or Saudi (maybe using the BMI slot!) as a more useful stopover, because the relatively small amount of capacity from an A332 and high demand for LHR services from those countries.

Vertrek
    Participant

Hi Rich,

Yes, that what I was trying to imply, GA/DL flight to East-coast US cities such as BOS, NYC, ATL and IAD via London and GA/DL flight to west-coast cities of SFO, SEA and LAX via NRT/HND, which I think already implemented through codeshare?

ME carriers, sure they will lobby, but i am also sure GA will get a green light for it concerning the “not so good” relationship between the ME and Indonesia, i don’t think they would want to worsen it.

Plus, GA-DL could work really well, especially both carriers offer 180* Flat-bed business class. When their joint venture established well in the UK, perhaps a direct flight to LHR is then introduce.

Another advantage of it will be the product variance offered by both airlines which I personally think would work really well for such a long flight, people tend to get bored when stuck in the same cabin for a day, well, at least for me.

Also, would be interesting if they introduce Premium Economy. 😉

safe travel

RichHI1
    Participant

I don’t see Turkey or Saudi as politically acceptable as stop overs.

RichHI1
    Participant

Never happen but a fliht to LAX or Sfo with stopover in HNLwould be awesome. Connecting Bali to Hawaii would mean some people would never go home..

Vertrek
    Participant

Funny Rich, a friend from the US is already stuck in Bali since last November with no indication to go back home anytime soon…

Bali would be interesting for mixing business with pleasure concept,

“Meeting in Sydney on Monday? Why not fly on friday and do a 2 days 1 nights relaxing stopover in Bali? Fly Between Europe/America and Australia via Bali….”

Forget “The Kangaroo Route” and “The Canton Route”, Here comes “The Golden Sand Route”

Do you see this type of advert happening soon?

Perhaps GA would have this…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohi98bW8RgA

00:15 to 00:27 lol…

hope you all are having a good evening… 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls