Where Art Thou Garuda?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

• Anonymous

LeTigre
    Participant

Hi All,

All the news of Garuda multi-buying A330s has reminded me of what a large airline they are becoming. I heard inklings recently that they were after some LHR slots. So…

-Why did they stop serving London?
    -Why haven’t they returned?
    -Will they start again?

timothy222
    Participant

why they pulled out I am not totally sure but maybe economics… Were they not operating classic 747s from LGW to Jakarta via the middle east?

They havent returned from what I am aware because GA was banned from operating into the EU. When they received permission to return to the EU obviously historically Amsterdam and Holland were the first choice due to Indonesia being the former Dutch East Indies.

It has been stated that London is on the list of cities to return to when they have enough aircraft in their fleet

RichHI1
    Participant

WEll it says they are going to join Sky TEam and they are one of the most improved airlines. Apparently they have stopped crashing and the EU let them back in (I wondered if A330 deal was linked to this but thye say they are buying B777’s as well so maybe yes maybe no, let’s see if they fly into US).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda_Indonesia

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I think they currently operate to AMS.

They were banned from the EU for safety reasons and their old 747s were probably accidents waiting to happen. I friend travelled on one many years back and reported that after a stop in the gulf it was the norm that people sat in the aisles even during take off and landing. When, after a stop in SIN my friend was asked to move so his seat belt could be used to secure a door he decided to get off.

Much investment later and they are a very smart airline competing well in SE Asia and if they come to London they will add to the competition on the route which is always a good thing.

I believe their A330s are very smart and their 737s though getting a bit old now are still in excellent shape.

sparkyflier
    Participant

For a while their safety record was really not good, but have heard good things about them lately. They have been operating A330 flights from AMS via DXB to CGK for a couple of years now. I imagine that LHR would be on their wish list but getting slots may be tough. Maybe they could try LGW again, and join Korean, LH, TK Hong Kong etc.

I wonder if Dave discussed flights into LHR to use these new planes!

I do believe it is crazy that there are no direct flights between UK & Indonesia, and have spoken with many Indonesians who agree.

I am hoping that with all these new slots BA will start one, and I think a 777 service to Kuala Lumpur daily, with a tag to Jakarta 4 times a week, and Denpasar the other days of the week, could not be anything other than popular and commercially rewarding.

Binman62
    Participant

Fl domestically last year and was very pleasantly surprised. The new aircraft I flew one sector on had the new business cabin and was really very very good. Their safety cord however remains a concern and that cannot be underestimated.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Interviewed in Jakarta on Channel 4 News tonight, about the lack of direct flights between the UK and Indonesia, David Cameron indicated that his government would arrange that GA be given landing rights, slots etc in London.

But by “London” it could be any of our capitals designated airports, not necessarily LHR. The interviewer, who had previously questioned that the lack of a third LHR runway would prevent GA from returning, did not pick up on this fact.

LeTigre
    Participant

Great news indeed, LondonCity.

Even from LGW (most likely, they operated there before anyway) I’m sure they can make it work. If Vietnam Airlines can make that work, I’m sure Jakarta is a possibility. Plus Garuda’s network is becoming quite formidable, including in Australia.

So now we have:
    -The Kangaroo Route
    -The Canton Route
    and the Nusantara Route!

Vertrek
    Participant

GA is indeed a very good airline, flew them last year in their new aircraft domestically and between Jakarta and Singapore, both sectors have personal AVOD and offered hot meal. Although service is not as polish as SQ, MH and CX, product wise for regional flight (intra SE Asia) is better than MH and of course, if you include value on top of it all, I think they beat those 3 easily, especially for intra SE Asia flight, can’t comment for long haul.

prosborn
    Participant

It was not a misdemeanour by Garuda that led to their being banned from EU space. A series of accidents and poor management errors in other ID airlines led the EU to place a total “blanket” ban on all ID carriers, including GA.
    During the ban, from which GA has long been exempted, GA continued to fly to non-EU destinations.

I have always found their service to be correct, their atmosphere/ambience superb, and their schedules proper and respected. On the domestic routings, the full meal service offered in the lounges at, for example, Jakarta and Denpasar is superb.

Quite frankly, one of the best airlines in the world of the 21st century. Really.

– Paul Osborn

paulkaz
    Participant

I agree GA are really very good.They have a daily 330 to CGK and to DPS from SYD.Their J prices are cheaper than jetstar and virgin for for a far superior product.A great feature in J that i ve not seen elsewhere is they have an immigration official on board who does the usual visa and passport checks mid flight so straight to baggage claim on arrival.
    Imagine the luxury of that service arriving in LHR of JFK after a long flight!

CrazyCanuck
    Participant

Hi,

Garuda is making huge strides. I have been flying with them for the last two years in SEA. The A330’s are very good and the 737 NG’s are also good. Service is good in J/Y. No reason not to recommend them.

LeTigre
    Participant

canucklad
    Participant

I flew Garuda quite a few years ago from AMS to MEL—took advantage of the Bali deal too…apart from the IFE not working it eas one of my most memorable flights ever…..

AMS-FRA…Plane was filthy -cabin crew attentive..Big Sandwich served

FRA-SIN…Lunch-huge Spring Roll during movie -Dinner- noodles..Highlight of the journey was the obsession with spraying the toilets with spray….We sat opposite the 4 over the wings…tat one stage spraying under the door whilst a man resplendent with long African robes was in doing his biz..

SiN -DJK..Change of crew and even more obsessive behaviour with the loo’s…and another dinner

DJK-DNP…Huge Breakfast and the final most genius part of the flight…Flaps down ,pretty much on finals, the big Frau ignores the seatbelt sign and heads into the toilet…stewerdess checks and locks doors for landing, knocks on Frau’s door, no answer..opens door to check and see’s big Frau sitting doing her business…In shock say “OH OH” and shuts door…Remembers she hasn’t sprayed the cubicle opens the door enough for her arm to reach in and sprays the fragrance all over the woman..Frau not a happy bunny returns to her seat with about 10secs to go before touchdown…Genius entertainment !!

Great Airline..brilliant service…

On a final note..when we met our pal at Bali airport, who followed on the same flight a few days later..there was not so much a Hi or good to see you..His first words were

“Is this island full of cannibals”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls