WHEN WILL IT END? (100ml liquid ban)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello fellow posters, if this question has been answered in a previous thread and I missed it then I apologize for the duplication.

Do any of you have any idea when, if ever, the ban on liquids of more than 100ml in hand luggage will be reviewed or come to an end?

The reason that I ask is that I travel through Tel Aviv on a regular basis where I can take through whatever liquids I want, I do not have to remove my shoes or belt or comply with any of the other regulations that seem to apply in other airports around the world.

Please do not get me wrong, I take security very seriously but I do not understand why if the Israelis can satisfy themselves that none of these things are a threat if properly screened before passengers can travel other countries cannot do the same?

There was, I believe talk of some changes here in the UK but they never happened. All I know is that even with large queues for security at Ben Gurion airport I have never waited as long there as I have at LHR, JFK, FRA, CDG or AMS for example.

Does anyone have any idea of whether or not things will ever change here in the UK or is it all driven by the demands of the USA?

capetonianm
    Participant

Because the Israelis do things properly without paying lip service to political correctness, they don’t give a damn what the rest of the world thinks, and they don’t follow the fuzzy thinking of the rest of the world.

They racially profile, they interrogate, and they discriminate. If only more would have the backbone to do the same.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

JC

There is a difference between Israel and EUrope, in that we rely on technology and they prefer a human solution.

The EU started working towards the removal of the ban in 2103, but progress is slow and the USA has expressed concerns with this approach in the past.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/air/security/aviation-security-policy/lags_en

Personally, I prefer the Israeli approach – the technology rarely finds bombs and when it does, let’s just say the response was less than stellar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-40795369

MartynSinclair
    Participant

No liquid worries in HKG (at least in transit). They rely on machines.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

No liquid worries in South Africa either for internal flights. Long haul they do not allow containers more than 100ml.

I agree with the Israeli approach and agree security is paramount, but in Europe the authorites seem to want to cause the maximum inconvenience for passengers. Maybe it’s deliberate to raise revenue by getting people to pay for Fast Track lines?

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

MartynSinclair, just transited through HKG and forgot to take my contact lens stuff out of my flight bag and had to point out what it was when the operator questioned it. Maybe it was random check but as I transit HKG a lot I’ve seen attention to liquids frequently. Laptops can definitely stay in the bag.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I’ve found Hong Kong to be one of the most pedantic when it comes to security checks at the airport.

I once bought some grocery items in a supermarket there and when going through security for my flight back to Manila they picked out several items that they claimed contained liquids or gels. Among these were cheese, Marmite and some canned food that contained a very small amount of water inside the can. Having agreed which items were unacceptable I returned to the airline desk and they agreed to take them as check-in baggage.

I went back through security once again, but in a different lane, and they started going through my bag again. Incredibly they picked out a couple more items that they had previously told me were ok and tried to say I couldn’t take them. So what was ok 10 minutes before was suddenly now unacceptable. Fortunately, a supervisor who had seen me go through the first time saw what was going on and intervened.

Globalti
    Participant

That’s what happens when you take away people’s ability to make sensible assessments and give them strict rules to follow. Unfortunately we are learning that in all walks of life there will always be one individual who can’t be trusted to make a sensible assessment with the usual result being a disaster, the subsequent inquiry then decides that employees can’t be trusted and more procedures are needed.

capetonianm
    Participant

Reminds me of the retard at LTN who tried to stop me going through security because my clearly marked 100ml bottle of aftershave, which was not even half full, ‘looked like more than 100ml.’ to him and he insisted I couldn’t take it.

Supervisor called, situation resolved. Pathetic.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Cathayloyalist2 and Chris – I am next in transit through HKG in December. I remember in previous threads complimenting HKG at the speed of transit security when I was told in no uncertain terms, no need to take anything out of my case.. (and I only travel with hand luggage, so there were bound to be liquids).

Will see what happens in December…

Globalti
    Participant

My brother had the same problem with an almost-empty rolled-up tube of toothpaste:

“Sir – it says 75ml!”

“Yes, but it’s almost empty!”

“Sir – it says 75ml!”

K1ngston
    Participant

Globalti I had the same issue in T5 sometime ago, it did not end well for me and for her but thats a whole different story not for this board

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I solemnly had the triple-blade razor head from my Gillette removed. I’v got a beard now, so that won’t happen again.

Oh, and the little mini tube of Colgate from the in-flight vanity bag – I’ve had that impounded, as well.

On the other hand, anyone passing though Medellin (MDE) airport on a domestic flight will find, as I did, that airside there is a shop selling all sizes of hunting knives, plus throwing stars, nunchuks and other such weapons. Amazing. And yes, you can take them on board. I imagine nobody tries to hijack an Avianca flight on a domestic route, because the passengers are probably all armed to the teeth.

esselle
    Participant

Just come through security in HKG. Liquids in hand baggage, plus iPad, plus toilet bag from QR, all went through without me having to get them out, and without drama. Even got a smile from the agent with the electric wand.

Now in the CX Pier; calm, serene, and a nice glass of fancy pants Italian red.

Life is good.

Stowage222
    Participant

and another thing…….why do I have to take my laptop out of its neoprene cover to get x-rayed? Can’t UK x-rays see through this material????? I’m stopping there before I see my soapbox.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls