When to check in for chance of upgrade

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• Anonymous

MrJBizz
    Participant

Due to fly with BA soon, LGW-MRU and this is one of those few occasions where I’d like to punt for a last minute upgrade (paying for it if need be, not just to blag for one).

I can’t pay in advance as the booking is via an agent.

Should I check in online then pay a visit to the check in desks, or should I avoid checking in online, in case the booking becomes finalised some how?

DavidSmith2
    Participant

My advice would be not to check in before but go directly to the Club check-in desk – be honest and just say you are booked in economy but would like to enquire about a possible (paid) upgrade before you check in. I doubt you would get a free one (unless you are GC) but they may be able to give you a price.

Do it all with a smile and the worst will be that they will probably still check you in at the Club desk, provided there isn’t a serious queue.

MarcusGB
    Participant

According to the Forum’s negative reports about BA in Europe, the seats are no different in space or numbers to Economy? they are being reduced and vacant seat removed?
    Is there really a point with BA Business Class in Europe anymore?

Few offer much these days, but KLM still have 2/3 seats, much more space, and a good meal & overall service. It remains a fully functional Business cabin in Europe.
    Sometimes it would seem better to go Low cost, and pay for a better seat, decent food on board, and more space that way, with a low cost carrier.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

The on-board difference between economy and club Europe is marginal but you do get a free middle seat, fitted with a tray for drinks etc., a decent hot meal (depending on route and time of day) and better service. For me, I would say it’s not worth more than 100 EUR but I am sure others would say its not worth even that.

But flying to Mauritius on Club World, I would pay a decent amount for an upgrade. I did that flight in economy and its a bit too far for comfort.

TominScotland
    Participant

MarcusGB, with respect, MRU is hardly Club Europe territory so I am not sure of the purpose of your post?

openfly
    Participant

Going from Y to J on LGW-MRU is a double upgrade through WTP and will probably have to be constructed by the ticketing section. It’s beyond the capability of a check-in agent. It will certainly be very expensive, otherwise every passenger would do this. I’m afraid the check-in computer can’t see your smile!
    Your booking is on BA.com. Go to the upgrade section and get an idea of the cost of the upgrade. You might get a shock….

MrJBizz
    Participant

Im afraid the booking is external, i.e. via travel agent therefore not permitted to see even the start of the upgrade process via BA.com …

openfly
    Participant

……I think if you phone BA give them your details and card number they will will give you the PNR. This will enable you to check the price. Alternatively you could ask them to price the upgrade for you.

Have you asked the agent to price it for you? My agent at Dial-a-Flight is excellent at this sort of thing. It’s wierd, sometimes if you throw in a car rental they can get a better deal.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

“It’s wierd, sometimes if you throw in a car rental they can get a better deal.”

This usually involves transferring the flight to BA Holidays and can cause some major changes in fare rules – so check that out first.

But the prices oare often keener, as the tickets are often more restricted.

DerekVH
    Participant

Slightly off-topic but on a recent return from SFO travelling on a restricted J ticket I asked if a paid upgrade to F was available. The check-in agent gasped when he looked at the system which was showing an upgrade cost of $10,600. Not surprisingly I stayed put in CW!

cotswoldsw
    Participant

I’ve paid to upgrade from the lounge before so even once you’ve checked in, it’s not too late. On that occasion I was booked in WT to TLV and offered seats in both WT+ and CW. From memory, WT+ was approx £200 and CW £800.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Generally speaking, I’ve found with Emirates that – if you ask at check in whether a paid upgrade is available and you’re suitably dressed / polite – they will give it to you free if they’re looking to op-up passengers due to overselling. In that sense, EK check in staff seem to have more control over the upgrade process than most airlines. BA used to be the same but now it’s all automated I think.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

You have not mentioned what cabin you are booked in.
    If trying to get Club from an Economy ticket, forget it, best to hope for yould be WT+, which of course is the old product. If that’s what you are booked in already then you must do all possible to move up!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls