When It All Goes Right

Back to Forum

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  canucklad 16 Oct 2018
at 16:08

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• bluemooner
    Participant

Thursday lunchtime arrived on a Jet2 flight from Venice into Manchester.
    ETA 13.35 Arrived 13.01 – Tailwinds
    Depart Aircraft 13.05
    Arrive Terminal 13.08
    Through Passport 13.12 (nobody in passport control hall other than those on our flight – my wife and I were 5th and 6th through the e gates))
    Luggage collected from Carousel 13.18
    At Taxi rank 13.22 (no queue)
    4 mile journey home took 10 minutes …little traffic – all traffic lights on green.
    Arrived home 13.32 ….3 minutes before ETA
    Isn’t flying wonderful

4 users thanked author for this post.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Well that’s it, no more for investment from MAG, if they read this “it’s job done”
    Like you I lived very close to Man airport, it’s great when it works.

capetonianm
    Participant

Sounds like my last trip to CPT on Edelweiss.

Arrived 25 minutes early. Was about the tenth person off the ‘plane because I never rush, about 5 people ahead of me at immigration, bag on carousel when I got there, straight through customs and was in my car on the N2 10 minutes before STA.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

…that is the norm everyday at Changi Singapore. There is a competitive spirit amongst some passengers as to whether they can get to the belt before the bag arrives!!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Would “bluemooner” have been so lucky had he used the train services at MAN’s rail station ?

I ask because there are endless reports of queues as passengers wait to buy tickets. It’s not helped by the fact that there is more than one TOC (train firm) with each having its own pricing.

Now that MAN claims to be a global gateway (many overseas travellers now arriving from the Middle East / Asia / China / Australasia) this is something which must be sorted out.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Would “bluemooner” have been so lucky had he used the train services at MAN’s rail station ?

I ask because there are endless reports of queues as passengers wait to buy tickets. It’s not helped by the fact that there is more than one TOC (train firm) with each having its own pricing.

Now that MAN claims to be a global gateway (many overseas travellers now arriving from the Middle East / Asia / China / Australasia) this is something which must be sorted out.

I wouldn’t say it’s any worse than experienced at LGW, TBH. Also, it is becoming much easier to buy eTickets these days, thus avoiding the queues completely, though I appreciate that may not be easy for foreign visitors who do not know their way around the TOC websites (I buy all my rail tickets via Virgin, which has a easy to use website and app). Again, not everyone knows that one can buy services for nearly any UK train via one TOC site.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Agree with CathayLoyalist2 about Changi. I travel with carry-on and moment my flight land at Changi, I know when I will reach home. After I text my Wife, she knows when to put water to boil so that I get my tea (bad habit after a trip) exactly when I reach home.

On Manchester now. Recently I travelled Singapore to Houston via Manchester and I found everything about that airport is bad (as transit). While coming back our flight was exactly on time, but we were on tarmac for one hour as no gate available? How is this possible? They know that plane will arrive at least 8 hours in advance! We got a lot of apologies from the Captain but the airport management about aircraft planning was terrible.

Then the security check. Although they were polite but condescending. I asked if I have to take out shoe, the answer was no, but after the machine I was asked to take out shoe; that was okay, but one security personnel started stroking my knee area and I was about to ask what was that but he stopped and I did not pursue.

I was also asked why I did not take out all my liquids (I took out all liquids but after shaving cream was inside), when I indicated that was not liquid, but it had to go through X-ray again. It was discussed here many times but the thing is about consistency. My stuff stayed inside at USA during check. Not sure if this airport using low technology machines and that’s why the liquids has to be taken out.

And regarding lounge (Aspire), it shall never be called a lounge, Waiting room would be a more appropriate term.

bluemooner
    Participant

Not sure how responsible MAN airport are for rail services – suspect not at all.
    As a Business Traveller, you probably buy air tickets on line and look for a competitive price, why not as FDOS_UK suggests do the same for the rail ticket.

Different pricing – isn’t that competitive?

There are huge plans to rebuild T1 at MAN, these are in progress. Perhaps best to judge the airport when modernised.

canucklad
    Participant

A couple of points ……..

On the Manchester Railway Station, see my thoughts below….written a few months ago, definitely relevant to the above comments

Welcome to Dirk Turpin Britain

On the original subject, a few years ago due to a tailwind, a very speedy departure after gate closing time. I arrived into Edinburgh just as I should have been taking off from Dublin.
    The Ryanair trumpeter definably had his lungs exercised that day .

FDOS_UK
    Participant

On the Manchester Railway Station, see my thoughts below….written a few months ago, definitely relevant to the above comments

To be fair to Manchester, the situation would be exactly the same, anywhere else, if a passenger bought a ticket restricted to one company and tried to use it on another one; I travelled from Lancaster to Euston yesterday and the train manager kept announcing that tickets endorsed NW London Railway were not valid on Virgin.

Certainly the same applies at Gatwick, try using a Southern only ticket on The Gatwick Express, for example.

This is a fault of the over complex rail setup in the UK, nothing to do with an airport.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Certainly the same applies at Gatwick, try using a Southern only ticket on The Gatwick Express, for example.

There will be confusion at Heathrow after Crossrail arrives.

Fares will differ depending on which operator you use and, in line with TFL pricing, there are expected to be different peak- and off-peak tariffs. Fares may also differ if you use Oyster.

And then there is the Piccadilly Line …

More changes ahead at Heathrow Express

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
BTUK October 2018 issue
BTUK October 2018 issue
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls