When is an exit row not an exit row ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

A curious experience last week on a TAP flight from Lisbon to Brussels. I checked in on-line for the flight and noticed there was the opportunity to choose two exit row seats on A320, these were shown as row 9. This surprised me as rows 10 and 11 are the usual exit rows on the A320 but the TAP seat map stated very clearly it was 9 and 10. I even had to tick a series of boxes saying I was over 18, spoke English and had the physical strength to deal with the door. I was therefore somewhat surprised to discover when boarding that row 9 was not an exit row and worse is a fixed non-recliner seat. I raised this with one of the crew who laughed and said,
    “yes that happens all the time, hard luck”

I should also say that the seat was extremely uncomfortable with little or no padding with what is claimed to be a 30″ pitch but which feels smaller because of the magazine holder. .

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I always avoid the emergency exit rows on the BA airbuses (shorthaul). The seat backs are rigid and do not go back and I find them very uncomfortable.

DiamondDad68
    Participant

I had a similar experience with my one and only BMI Baby flight from Birmingham to Amsterdam. I booked and paid extra for an emergency exit row seat only to find out that once on board I was two rows behind the exit rows. The flight was full and boarding chaotic so I took my business elsewhere after this experience.

canucklad
    Participant

Another thing to look out for is airlines that classify the last row as an emergency exit seat.
    In other words the aft door is behind you.

I’ve been caught out with that ruse in the past.
    Successfully requesting an EE seat at check-in, only discovering once I was on-board and scrutinizing my boarding pass that I was sat right at the back.
    And of course, technically they are right !

goalie11
    Participant

Hi Canucklad

It’s a good point, BA do this with their Embraers out of LCY but I don’t think Flybe with their Q400s do, given they sat a disabled passenger next to me in the last seat by the aisle on a recent flight.

Whilst not an expert, is it true to say they are technically right? There is a fixed bulkhead behind you, leading into the rear galley with a crew member in attendance. I have never had a briefing by any member of staff on what is expected and no one seems to bother how physically capable you are to sit there.

IMHO they would be hard pressed to make any case for these seats being emergency exit any more than they could for row 1.

Not one you would pay for if they tried it.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

On a recent flight with Maluti Sky I was nominated by the sole cabin crew member as a relief crew member, that should she pass out or be otherwise incapacitated I would inform the pilots and help should an evacuation be necessary!

That was a first first me!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@LP, what kind of aircraft was it?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=768701]“yes that happens all the time, hard luck”[/quote]

On a Y class ticket, that’s about as close to an apology as you can expect.

I’m not familiar with TAP configs, but I guess they may have changed aircraft or otherwise, the seat map is just wrong.

The seat in front of the EE row is the worst of all world.

Tramor01
    Participant

I had the same issue on an American Airlines internal US flight last month.
    I selected when booking what was supposed to be an exit row seat, agreed to all the terms etc. When I boarded the gate person stopped me and said you know you’re in an exit row seat are you OK with that etc. etc. Got on board to find out that the row in front of me was the exit row, not mine. This was on an A320

icenspice
    Participant

[quote quote=769039]

“yes that happens all the time, hard luck”

On a Y class ticket, that’s about as close to an apology as you can expect.

I’m not familiar with TAP configs, but I guess they may have changed aircraft or otherwise, the seat map is just wrong.

The seat in front of the EE row is the worst of all world.

[/quote]

Perhaps the aircraft was substituted with an A319?

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/TAP_Portugal/TAP_Portugal_Airbus_A319.php

icenspice
    Participant

Or an A320 or A321!

(Why is it not possible to edit our own posts?)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, it was a Bombardier CRJ200. I think it was being chartered by SA Express as they have a few aircraft out of service at the moment.

Despite my initial reservation that we were all doomed and I was on the flying equivalent of the Titanic, the plane was very clean, some decent legroom (all economy) and very friendly cabin crew – all one of her!

The pilots gave plenty of info particularly when we hit an iceberg – err I mean turbulence – saying how long it should last etc.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Well, first point is that if there are two contiguous exit rows you should never pick the front row, because they will not recline. It sounds as though you fell right into this trap by picking row 9 so you would have been stuck with the recline issue anyway.

Whichever row you were in the seat would have been equally uncomfortable as regards the padding (or lack thereof).

Don’t take the above as lack of sympathy – I really do empathise!

But now the really crucial question – what is the correct pronunciation? Is it BomBARDee-eh (French) or BOMberDEE-er (English)?? Being a Canadian company I’ve never been quite sure!

Wai Wah
    Participant

You should tell the crew that you have neck problem and with that it could worsen your sickness. Write on a paper and ask he/she to sign on it. You may get an immediate upgrade!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls