When is a flight segment not a flight segment (FFP question) ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Luc Jones
    Participant

I am close to reaching Star Alliance Gold status with United Airlines, but have come across a stumbling block – hopefully someone on this forum can help?

One of the key criteia for obtaining Gold with United is that you need to make a minimum of 4 flights with United (the remainder of flights/points can be notched up using any of the Star Alliance partners). Fair enough, I suppose – most FF programmes require this.

I have made 5 flights with United, all of which were booked via the United website, yet only 2 have been credited to my account. My hunch is this is because these 3 ‘missing’ segments were codeshare flights, albeit on a United ticket – the other 2 were on United planes.

My e-mail to United’s MileagePlus progamme asking for the segments to be added was simply replied to with a message “your miles have been added” plus a load of irrelevant infomation telling me how I should fill in the booking forms correctly. They clearly haven’t bothered to read the actual message; my miles were added almost immediately; it’s the segments I need !

Has anyone else come across anything similar – and who is right here; United, or me?! If I am denied Gold due to this loophole, it seems awfully mean (I specifically booked the flights on a United ticket via the United website to gain these segments – it would have been significantly cheaper to book on the partner plane). Sadly, I’m not in a position to just do a miles run; I’m based on the othe side of the globe !!

Any help/advice here would be gratefully received – perhaps someone knows someone senior at United ?!?!

Luc

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I’m sorry I can’t comment on UA’s policy in this regard, however you may get an answer to your query by posting on the United board on FlyerTalk.

1 user thanked author for this post.

first_class_please
    Participant

If a flight has a UA flight number then it’s a UA counted segment. I’d does not matter who actually operated the flight.

2 users thanked author for this post.

FormerBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1228934]

Yes that is true, but the ticket must also show a UA flight number not the code share partner.

UA is not a great airline on any level

2 users thanked author for this post.

MGen
    Participant

My experience so far with star Alliance is that the operating carrier counts. On the other hand on skyteam the marketing and not the operating carrier.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls