What’s in a Name?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

An interesting thread.

I know of a famous American blues guitarist whose favourite on-the-road “axe” is a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard, worth an eye-watering amount (think of a small house in Surrey and you might be part of the way there). Anyway, when he travels, he books and pays for a seat in the name (usually) of “Mr L Paul” or Mr Gibson Guitar” for said axe. He also usually travels in F or J, which may make life a bit easier. I have seen photos of some of his boarding cards and this does appear to be true.Just found one or two and will try to attach them (although he’s is Y on this flight).

My point is, given the concerns raised above about incomplete surnames or missing middle names, I am staggered that the chap in question doesn’t have issues in being allowed to take it on board.

14469592_10154521819564659_6846265216748497984_n

DCd_f7GUMAAaIxB

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Why would anyone report this as inappropriate ?

1 user thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

‘Comfort’ seats

A neighbour of mine regards Ryanair as his preferred airline and found that he could book an extra spare seat, this was after he had been squashed by another passenger ‘overflowing’ into his seat space. Apparently at the booking stage the couple book their two seats plus a third seat in the ‘name’ of Extra Comfort Seat. This enables them to have a row of three seats to themselves, they do have to pay to select the three seats together but reckon that the costs are worth the peace of mind.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1015530][/postquote]

Whilst not claiming Ryanair as my favourite airline, I have also done this. They suggest that you book the Extra Comfort Seat at time of booking, but I actually book it immediately after As Extra Comfort does not need Fast Track or Priority boarding 🙂

You can also do this on BA by phoning the Exec Club after booking and paying for the middle seat to be blocked. You can also book a seat next to you on easyJet.

A crafty way, if travelling alone, is to take a gamble and just book a middle seat and hope that nobody wants to sit next to you.

jsn55
    Participant

I never use my middle name booking air or hotels. First and last name only. Passport had first, middle and last. Have never had any issues, domestic US or international, including many flights through LHR.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

The border agency is often a bit sloppy…. enjoyed a cycle holiday in France years back with a friend (a chap who never shaved that regularly) who only got worried when he noticed just before our return to the UK that he’d picked up and travelled on his wife’s passport instead of his own. No need to worry as there were no questions about the difference between his bristle and his rather pretty wife in the passport…. LOL

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls