What’s gone wrong with Helsinki Airport?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

Over the years, I have always found Helsinki a good place to transit – fast, relaxing, efficient etc. I have just struggled through a tide of humanity on a Saturday afternoon and have, based on today’s experience, fallen out of love with the place. The airport seems to be a victim of its own success, especially its Asia strategy. Trying to make my way from a Shengen gate through to passport control and onwards, I saw 5 tour groups, complete with coloured flags moving in a way that would make Nathan Road on a Sunday afternoon seem deserted. The problem is that the passenger walkways between the retail outlets are far, far too narrow. One tour group meanders, everybody meanders!!

I then arrived at the Finnair Lounge to find a queue snaking down the corridor of folk looking to get into the Business area – even the premium (Emerald) lounge was packed.

Now I have got that off my chest, I will sit back and relax while watching a 4 year old dancing to her personal karaoke on her iPad………

Tallinnman
    Participant

Its been pants for a while, particularly Schengen to non Schengen where I regularly experience bus transfers. To be fair the ensuing rush saves me from the extortionate prices in the airport, as there often isn’t time to even spend a penny.

Sacmatine
    Participant

… and that ‘s why they’ve hidden all the ” mini trolleys” too. A dozen people in front of me mid-afternoon last Thursday queuing up for the Lounge.Not like it was for sure.

BAGoldcard
    Participant

All of the above and building works in September make it much less enjoyable.

esselle
    Participant

Non shengen is being transformed into a shopping centre. Yippee.

If you are flying BA, try the smaller lounge called “Almost at home”, much less busy than the Finnair lounge, even if this has recentl0y been enlarged.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls