What's going wrong with baggage at HKG?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• frustratedflyer
    Participant

I fly to HKG regularly and the time it takes to get the bags seems to be getting longer and longer. It used to be so quick. Three months ago it was about 40 mins at the carousel, last month an hour, this month about 1 hour 20 mins. No information, a few bags appear then nothing. There also seem to be some flights where it does say bags delayed (although not mine) so something seems to be wrong? Anyone got an ideas or is it just bad luck on my part?

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=833355]I fly to HKG regularly and the time it takes to get the bags seems to be getting longer and longer. It used to be so quick. Three months ago it was about 40 mins at the carousel, last month an hour, this month about 1 hour 20 mins. No information, a few bags appear then nothing. There also seem to be some flights where it does say bags delayed (although not mine) so something seems to be wrong? Anyone got an ideas or is it just bad luck on my part?
    [/quote]

I often fly to HKG and to be honest I think it’s just bad luck on your part. Waits of 40 mins. and 1 hour 20 mins. seem very unusual to me for HKG. Sorry to hear about your delays, I know it’s really frustrating [and anxiety-inducing when it happens to me].

Craig Bright

I’ve been seeing this a lot more recently when flying into HKG as well, though not quite as long a wait (40 minutes has been the longest I’ve waited). Particularly been the case that bags have been delayed yet no notification appears at the carousel indicating as much, and this has been across multiple airlines. Could just be bad luck, though maybe HKIA’s constant passenger growth is catching up to it and the baggage handling procedures aren’t able to keep up as they used to.

stevescoots
    Participant

been flying in and out every other week past few months and not had it myself. depends if you are getting off at the satalite terminal or main hall

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m flying there in a few weeks so I will watch with interest and report bag.

I wonder if it depends on the carrier and therefore the handling agent?

frustratedflyer
    Participant

Thanks. Maybe I am just unlucky. The last two trips were with BA although I can’t remember who the one before was with. I spoke with a person from my hotel and he said that the handlers (not the airport) are having staffing shortages.

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=833463]Thanks. Maybe I am just unlucky. The last two trips were with BA although I can’t remember who the one before was with. I spoke with a person from my hotel and he said that the handlers (not the airport) are having staffing shortages.
    [/quote]

Thats a good explanation.Have noticed an increased wait in the last few months, recently the crew/first had to wait over 30 minutes so it looks like a handling problem.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

When are you guys measuring the delivery times from? Is it from the time you personally arrive at the carousel to the time you actually got your bag, or is it from the time the aircraft arrived at the gate until you got your bag?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

When things go well, I use the former. When things go badly, I use the latter.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

No other airport I have found matches Changi, Singapore. It’s almost become a race to deplane and get through immigration before the bag arrives. I have managed deplaning, through immigration , collect bag and into a taxi in 20 minutes. As far as HKG is concerned I have rarely experienced any delays

K1ngston
    Participant

Agree totally Cathayloyalist2 that is definitely the case, albeit should it thunder when you are waiting they will suspend service until the storm passes, as happened to me recently and waited over an hour! This was the first time however in over 7 years using the airport ……

canucklad
    Participant

Without a doubt the quickest delivery time I’ve experienced is at YVR. Bags normally going round and round by the time I’ve cleared Immigration-also normally quick!
    And I’d rate HKG as just as good as YVR, so I’ll be aware of this the next time I head to HK in the near future.

As Tom mentioned, it might be that it the carriers choice of handler. Back in the day, BMI’s choice of handlers at LHR was scandalous. It use to take longer for the bag to travel the final 500 yards than it took to travel the previous 500 miles!!

Tamsin Cocks
    Keymaster

I have definitely noticed an increase in baggage arrival time at HKIA. My latest experience was last week, travelling on Hong Kong Airlines. I arrived at the carousel and was met with a “Bags delayed” sign yet again. It took 30 minutes for the bags to start arriving. It’s particularly frustrating because getting through immigration is super speedy at HKIA (for residents anyway), however this is completely pointless if you then have to wait around for baggage…

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Arrived on an SQ flight from SIN 3 weeks ago and baggage wait for baggage was minimal, which to be fair has always been my experience of HKG.

Nothing beats SIN though. My record is 10 minutes from deplaning an MH flight, through customs, collect bag and into a taxi. Quite incredible. (Helped by the arrival gate being the closest to the immigration desks).

BMI at LHR could be a total shocker. I have memories of CDG being pretty poor as well with them.

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=834708]I have definitely noticed an increase in baggage arrival time at HKIA. My latest experience was last week, travelling on Hong Kong Airlines. I arrived at the carousel and was met with a “Bags delayed” sign yet again. It took 30 minutes for the bags to start arriving. It’s particularly frustrating because getting through immigration is super speedy at HKIA (for residents anyway), however this is completely pointless if you then have to wait around for baggage…
    [/quote]
    Immigration is also fast if you use a frequent visitor sticker on your passport, worthwhile if you visit more than three times a year. In fact you literally walk through immigration!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls