What to expect from Dragonair?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

scott66
    Participant

I’ve got a connecting flight on a Dragonair A320 before travelling on to London with Cathay, what should I expect from Dragonair?

More interestingly an eight hour wait between flights in Hong Kong Airport, would anyone recommend a ‘run ashore’ into Hong Kong?

frustratedflyer
    Participant

Dragonair are not hugely different from Cathay so you can expect similar service, product and food to what you would get in Cathay economy (if that is what you are flying). I fly them between HKG & Shanghai or Beijing and have never really been disappointed.

If you have eight hours at the airport you do have time to go into town on the Airport Express (make sure you buy a return ticket as cheaper than two singles). It is just 25 minutes to Central.

If you don’t fancy that but want to do something else you could go through immigration and walk to the Regal Airport Hotel and spend a couple of hours and get treatments in one of their spa rooms. It’s a great way to relax before the flight back. I would recommend you book this in advance rather than just turning up.

The Cathay Lounges are good if you have access but if not I think there is a better choice of food in Terminal 2 so you could always go through immigration and wander around there.

Senator
    Participant

scott66, which class of service? I was on DragonAir from Hong Kong to Phuket last year in Business. A functional flight with a decent meal, US Domestic First cradle style seats and a good IFE system. Overall, a decent flight.

The airport train runs every 8-12 min, takes about 25min to Central Hong Kong. I would say it is worth it. You should be able to enjoy a 5-6 hour visit. I loved Hong Kong 🙂 Great city!

dodger10
    Participant

Dragon air is fine. Similar to Cathay.
    However I’m not to fond of their smaller jets. Economy can feel a little cramped especially when its a busy flight.

Yes, if you have a few hours, pop into Hong Kong for a walk around as the airport express is super convenient.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi scott66
    My advice if you’ve not been to Hong Kong before and you have about 5 hours to spare is to definitely jump on the Express and get off at Olympic station, and jump on the MTR to east TST in Kowloon. Have a wander, maybe a drink in the Peninsula . Then jump on the Star ferry to Central and the IFC building. Another wander around Central and then jump on the Express back to the airport.

Or if you fancy chilling, and want to get away from the airport…… head to the coach station in T2 and catch the DB02 bus to Discovery Bay Plaza. Lots of restaurants and a beach, though not for swimming. Bus journey 15 minutes.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

canucklad: excellent tour guide

scott66
    Participant

Thank you all for your pointers on a quick look round HK.
    I’ve seen a little you tube clip of the business seat on a Dragon Air A320 – certainly looks way ahead of most European services.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

scott66, from your last comment I assume you are travelling business class. The KA business class seat is identical to the CX regional business class seat (but some way short of the long-haul seat!). Not lie-flat, but with significant recline and IMHO very comfortable. Good selection on the IFE, decent service, although they do run out of champagne sometimes!

Presumably you will then have J lounge access – CX/KA have five at HKG – The Wing, The Cabin, The Bridge, The Pier and G16. There is a good flyertalk wiki on these – I can’t give you the link as the ft website is currently down, but if you go to “Forum”, “Miles & Points”, “Cathay Pacific / Marco Polo Club” you will find it easily. Each has quite a different feel, and different food .You can access any one of these (regardless of which one is mentioned on any lounge invitation you may receive) and you can also visit the QF lounge, which is very popular and tends to be less crowded at most times of day.

Getting into town is very easy as mentioned above. The train leaves from the arrival hall and arrives back at the departure hall. You don’t have to buy a ticket at the airport end (but ticket machines are available at the back of the arrival hall next to, but before, the corridor that leads to the train platform) as you can buy them on arrival at the other end.

If you are a golfer, there is a nice little 9-hole course a few minutes’ shuttle-bus ride from the terminal – http://www.nineeagles.com – and you can rent clubs there (not sure about shoes). They have lockers and decent changing rooms, and no cancellation notice is required so an early booking is recommended. Singletons are welcome and don’t lose priority by virtue of playing alone.

There is also an iMax cinema at the airport: http://www.uacinemas.com.hk/eng/cinemas/Cinemas?id=22.

Have a good trip!

scott66
    Participant

Hi Ian_from_HKG, I’ve done the Cathay lounges before in HKK, much as they are very good lounges, I’ve not been outside the airport only transiting through.

Thank you for the great tip about the golf course, altbough I think I’ll try for the iconic star ferry.

midorosan2
    Participant

We don’t encourage jumping in Hong Kong except for children, suggest you walk like a sensible grown up.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi scot66
    Not sure if its to late for another tip, but if you’re going to do the Star ferry and possibly use the MTR for the short time you’ll be in HK, I’d suggest you purchase an Octopus card , saves you messing about at ticket booths etc. The easiest way to purchase one, although I tend to just re-load mine , is to avoid the queues at the desk and head to the 7/11 shop in the arrivals hall. Sadly I also use the opportunity to buy a couple of cans of beer for the short coach trip to DB. Plus, any credit left never expires, just in case you visit HK again.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

And to add to canucklad’s comments – Octopus cards can be used for buses, minibuses, trams, MTR and convenience stores (and some other shops as well). But not taxis…!

BAfanatic
    Participant

Dragonair are very good .

It’s really worth going into town. I’d get a return ticket on the Airport Express and get off at Central [the final stop], Star Ferry to Kowloon, wander round lower Tsim Sha Tsui e.g. the harbour, Star Ferry back to Central. You should have time to go up to the Peak too, if you have the energy. (With respect to canucklad, I’d avoid Discovery Bay – to me the above itinerary is far better). Have a good trip!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls