What aircraft to expect from BA when we travel again?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• DavidSmith2
    Participant

We had flights from Accra to London in May which were obviously cancelled. Using my vouchers, plus some extra cash, I have now booked the same flights for mid-December, for a 5-day London trip. Outward in CW (night flight) and back in WTP (day flight).

In the old days, it would have been upstairs on the 747, but it is still unclear what model they will be using yet for Accra flights (assuming the flight happens at all). But with all the changes to crew, catering, lounge access and check-in, I am not expecting it to be quite the relaxing journey we’re used to, so interested to hear how people’s experience of the new BA service compares and any hints as to what to expect.

Interestingly, my new booking still shows us in 64J & K, but now with no check-in baggage allowance. I assume that will be updated in due course!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1004270]In the old days, it would have been upstairs on the 747, but it is still unclear what model they will be using yet for Accra flights (assuming the flight happens at all). But with all the changes to crew, catering, lounge access and check-in, I am not expecting it to be quite the relaxing journey we’re used to, so interested to hear how people’s experience of the new BA service compares and any hints as to what to expect.[/quote]

Interesting. You might anticipate a 777 or 350 or similar, but BA does have history in putting SH planes on some of the mid haul routes in recent times…..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Whilst the technology of each aircraft is different, i do not envisage any major difference between the 350, 777 or 787 for long haul, apart from the new club world seating. Space and passenger experience is likely to be the same.

Only difference could be if the 380 comes back. the 2 club world upstairs sections certainly provide extra space by the window, with the old seating. I wonder how the new seating will sit… re additional space….

Unfortunately, post Covid 19 midhaul/longhaul reviews for BA are few and far between, especially with a flight with busy passenger loads…

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Accra was previously a daily 747 (7 days a week). Obviously passenger numbers may well be lower in the future, but most days it was pretty full (and pretty expensive). A 380, maybe then going on to somewhere further south, (e.g. Cape Town) would be an interesting development.

FrDougal
    Participant

Traumatised and even more demoralised staff are probably going to be the most obvious change.

1 user thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

CPT cannot accept A380s without major modification of the runways, taxiways and terminal.

J_Pathmore
    Participant

CPT will need something with more capacity than a 772, and can’t handle a380. Any thoughts?

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1004323][/postquote]

I suppose that with the A380 moving into history, it’s not worth expanding anything to handle them, and it’ll have to be 2 flights if one 777 isn’t enough.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1004323][/postquote]

BA doesn’t have anything bigger than 777 as far as I’m aware. If so it would need to be frequencies rather than size.

SimonS1
    Participant

The other thing here is I thought CPT was extending the runway to allow for A380 in the coming years. Perhaps Covid 19 has bought some time, in the short terms BA may be able to service the city with a combination of 777, A350 or 787 and by the time traffic is restored (perhaps in 2023) then the airport may be ready?

J_Pathmore
    Participant

I think that in EU winter 2 x 772 will not be anywhere near enough capacity unless they manage to squeeze a 773 on but seems unlikely. Note from experience BA fill 2 x 747’s every night from Nov – March. A350-1000 / 787-10 would be prefect but is too modern for such a leisure route with relatively low competition (although LH do use an a350 to MUC). Just my two cents!

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Well, the answer for now is the 777. Accra airport re-opened a week ago and BA is now running a nightly flight using a 777-200. Won’t be the same as the 747, but better than nothing. Mandatory testing on arrival in Accra for all passengers and they claim results will be given within 30 minutes. If negative, then no quarantine required. We will see how that goes.

cwoodward
    Participant

[quote quote=1004306]CPT[/quote]

Runway to take A380’s
    Plans are approved and work was starting when I was there in January. It’s unlikely to be 2023 though.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/cape-town-international-airport-r7-billion-expansion-2019-2

JDTraveller
    Participant

Have just had my flight times adjusted for HND in January and it has shifted from 777 to A350. Had resigned myself that it would be a couple of years until I could experience Club Suite, but now could be sooner than I thought.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1010676][/postquote]

Snap! I have just re-booked my Accra-London flight in December (now only coming for 3 days, rather than 5) and discovered that it will now be a 350 with the new Club World Suite. Still not as ‘romantic’ as the 747, but looking forward to experiencing the flagship product.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls