What to do with 100,000 Avios?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• newtothis
    Participant

So my Avios account recently ticked over the 100,000 mark – small fry compared to many of the frequent flyers on here i’m sure, but a milestone for me nonetheless – particularly as they have been accrued with almost no flying (through credit card spend, sign up promos, rewards from Electricity account, etc).

Question is… what to do with them? I’m never going to be in the position where I’m accruing hundreds of thousands of miles, and it seems a bit pointless (!) to keep collecting them endlessly.

Any suggestions? – I understand that the best value redemptions are against business / first class flights, but I’m unlikely to be travelling without my wife and child anytime soon, and wouldn’t want to be spending on equivalent tickets for them.

Hotels? Advice out there seems to suggest this offers poor value, but are there any exceptions? I’m based in London so would be interested in a UK redemption if it offered VFM.

Experiences? Wine? Membership? Something I may not have though of?

Thanks!

SwissExPat
    Participant

Probbaly the best value is……

Get yourself a BA Amex Card… Spend so as to get the 2 for 1 voucher.

Use your 100,000 Avios to get 2 J seats on a Long Haul Flight (you will have to cough for the Taxes per person approx €1200)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Depends where u fancy going..

I would consider northern Europe again and again…. 4500 avios, which is reduced to 4000 avios depending on time of day… pet sector….

I happily pay for long haul to accumulate avios….

nevereconomy
    Participant

You can take a couple of nice European trips in Club Europe with the family with this many Avios and availabilty much better than on longhaul..might even be able to include some hotel nights if you plan well.

mkcol74
    Participant

I second the above comments re: use in Europe. That is where your best “value” will be. So you can have multiple trips, whether city breaks, ski weeks or beach trips.

For “experience” – yes, get a 2 for 1 voucher via the BA Premium AMEX (lower spend level, longer validity of voucher) and do something in a premium cabin long haul.

newtothis
    Participant

Thanks – so seems like you are all agreed that redeeming points against, say, a box of wine or membership of something like English Heritage doesn’t represent good value?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls