What is the point of… an American Express Premium Plus Card?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I don’t think so. It’s been quite a while since Hilton had a UK credit card.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Tom, I have a UK Barclaycard which is Hilton branded.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LondonAndy70
    Participant

I’m off to India next week using Avios and the AmEx 241. I’ve used Avios for many (most?) main family holidays pre-pandemic. Booking well in advance and having some flexibility helps….

Now that I’m Gold Guest List I can get Avios availability on any flight (for four people) twice a year, so are planning to go to Sydney next year.

Clearly your miles do vary, but for me it’s not a bad scheme (although if the taxes were lower it would make it more attractive…..)

LondonAndy70
    Participant

FaroFlyer – I have it too, but that card isn’t available to new applicants…..

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I used to have one but I thought they had been discontinued completely.

I replaced it with an Etihad card (MBNA, I think) and then that was discontinued as well!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

This thread reminds me of the old adage, “Money talks, but wealth whispers”.

I know several UHNWI’s who use just the basic free cards, albeit with extremely high credit limits.
    I also know a well known billionaire family, who don’t have any credit cards and use Revolut exclusively.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Vistaro
    Participant

Foe me AMEX Platinum is incredible value for money as is the BA Amex Premium Plus Card, I have both and easily get my money back year in year out, we all have different views on value but for me on AmEx Plat FOC Travel insurance for me and the wider family (easily worth £200 per year to me), Priority pass FOC for myself and my wife (worth at least £200 / year for lounge access on cheapoair flights -been a bit hard to use at times but overall still great), FOC car hire Excess insurance (worth £80 per year to me), Harvey Nic’s shopping credit (£100 per year to me), £300 of restaurant credit and worth that to me since I’d have been dining out anyway, SHopSmal typically gives me £20-50 per year back, Rewards points on spend (worth 1p per point to me, probably £300 per year), I get the BA Card purely for the companion Seat offer (I’d normally pay for business or First seats so typically saves me at least £1,000 and normally £3-6,000 and another 30,000 Avios worth £300 to me), also get (but have those anyway so zero value to me) $200 cashback on every onefinestay house rental, hotel membership, £120 Addison Lee credit, Eurostar lounge access, Plaza Premium, Delta and Centurion lounge access, so for me I spend £825 per year on these two cards and get more than £3,000 back, for me it’s a no-brainer!

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1228029]AmEx Plat FOC Travel insurance[/quote]

The travel insurance policy benefits from an independent claims handlers, and FOS referral rights. This gives the insurance policy benefit, added value.

FormerBA
    Participant

Ended my BAPP relationship today. 3 x 241 and 2 x Barclays upgrade vouchers.

Where there are seats BA want £1,650 in charges and I’d need to stay for 5 weeks.

There is not a single F seats available anywhere for a year

I can use my avios with 241 on Iberia. I need 40,000 more avios and just £450 in charges. It makes no sense anymore!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I’m with you on this one FormerBA.
    Cancelled my BAPP in April as it has been years since I used a 241. Not being in a position to plan premium class travel 355 days out, lack of J/F availability in general and a return to absurd levels of taxes and charges being main reasons.
    I have a free basic Blue BA Amex card to supplement Amex Plat, which I feel represents a fair deal given their travel insurance, restaurant ‘vouchers’ etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls