What is the ping on an Airbus 15 seconds after take-off?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

Intheair
    Blocked

Can someone help my curiosity?

What is the “ping” that goes off 10-15 seconds after take off when travelling on an Airbus?

I am quite a nervous traveller and presume that it is some form of indication that a particular part of take-off has been successful.

I flew on Friday on an A319 – there was no ping! The aircraft didn’t climb as usual and there were two fairly forceful movements of the aircraft, first one way and then the other. A few minutes later the aircraft climbed as usual.

Does anyone know what all this means?

From a nerdy traveller!

Ekond222
    Participant

…It’s the microwave for the hot towels …or Chicken…they taste the same…

mkcol74
    Participant

Something to do with it having reached a certain height or that the gear have retracted IIRC.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think it’s to indicate the landing gear is fully retracted.

openfly
    Participant

When the gear is up and locked, the emergency exits lights go off, ping, and are then disarmed until the gear is dropped on the approach, when you get the ping again.

kevin46
    Participant

The rate that an aircraft climbs is governed by ATC depending on the traffic in the area. The side to side movement was most likely caused by clear air turbulence. When in doubt, keep an eye on the cabin crew, if they look nervous then it’s time for you to worry.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

I agree with all the above. It indicates that the landing gear is retracted. Similarily, on approach on landing, when the gear locks down, the “White” Emergency lights come on near the Emergency exits. This is mainly on the A380 and the B747, but it is a similar position on smaller a/cs, but perhaps not so noticeable!

pheighdough
    Participant

kevin46 – What you say is not strictly true. ATC give a clearance to climb, and the amount of level change does depend on the rate of climb for the aircraft. A 1000ft change of level will never see the aircraft have an optimum climb rate, but a 10,000ft level change would.

Apologies that this response is a bit off topic compared to the title and a ‘Ping’

FDOS_UK
    Participant

pheighdough – 07/08/2015 12:50 BST

I’ve heard ATC request a ‘good rate of climb’ on occasions, but not always, suggesting they don’t want a cruise climb.

craigwatson
    Participant

kevin –

As he is taking the first few minutes after take off you are in the initial stages of the SID, a route that is planned and often mandated by the regulators to cover noise abatement. You also will not get clear air turbulence in this phase of flight (CAT is most often associated with entering or exiting the jet stream). What was felt was most likely wake turbulence from a preceding aircraft.

kevin46
    Participant

I stand corrected.

planegeek
    Participant

It’s my trouser elastic going at the thought of the first gin and tonic. Have a nice weekend all

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls