What is the luxury?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

EgleGudiskyte
    Participant

Once upon the time, the luxury was defined as what the monarchy and aristocracy consumed: houses in the country, staff to serve you, big cars, caviars and champagne.

But what is luxury hotel now? Is it 4 or 5 stars hotels? Or is it something more then only stars? Which amenities do you expect to find in the luxury hotel room?

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

The definition of a Luxury Hotel is where a place that offers superior facilities PLUS unpararell personalized service to the guests.

Example: The Mandarin Oriental and the Penisular Hotel groups. They have the best CAN DO attitude in the industry,

There are many other individual luxury hotels worldwide which also provide such service standard.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Luxury for me is not to have to think… Not that easy to put into practice for an hotel though. So in practice in a hotel room it would be:
    – large and comfy bed with top cotton quality linen
    – nice bathroom with luxury amenities
    – electronics minimum 🙂 (wifi, iPod dock, large TV)
    – Luxury furniture
    – Balcony with a view
    and of course service, service and service, preferably quick and efficient.

erika08
    Participant

Luxury means a high class hotel, and it’s so expensive. but for sure you’ll be satisfy in their service.

1 Altitude

RichHI1
    Participant

Luxury for me is pushing the enjoyment envelope until you get your first pangs of guilt. So is real luxury highly personal, clubs and properties over hotels and private aviation over First Class? I think luxury is a state of mind. I dare say luxury for someone in a favela in Rio de Janeiro is a different concept to a Swiss Banker.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Rich: Right now in Rio and from your suggestion I am being tempted to search my “inner” idea of luxury by arranging to spend a night in the favela instead of sipping champagne with local royals!

RichHI1
    Participant

Bom dia, tudo bem? Oh I remember Ipanema and Leblon so well. Was meant to go to a wedding this year but clashed, never mind visiting froends again next year. Scrap the favela, scrap the Champagne, I would have a beer at one of the beach bars and watch the volleyball. The people and the scenery, almost as good as Hawaii, almost… Have a great time, I am not envious…..
    I don’t think you would mind having to spend the weekend there? 🙂

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Rich:

Esplendido! Muito obrigado.

I shall gladly take your advice of people watching while sipping green coconut water (healthier anyway) on the beach.

I can take an occasional glance on the favela in between the volleyball game!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Luxury = asking FlyingChinaman to prepare a second glass and getting the jet fuelled and ready for departure…………….

RichHI1
    Participant

This is why AF flew Concorde to Rio, so the coconut did not get warm…

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Thank you Martyn and Rich: I can always rely on you two for giving suggestions for things to thrill!!!

esselle
    Participant

Pol WC 1986 in the old Concorde Room in T4 was luxury.

Not seen it since.

M.Moose
    Participant

I think it’s a combination of hardware (facilities) and software (service).

One such example for me would be St Regis Singapore (the rooms are just fantastic, bedding is excellent, Bose sound system, bathroom and toiletries and of course, TWG Tea and butler service!).

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Last time I was in Ipanema (Leblon end), the guys in a favela shot down a police helicopter 🙁

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/17/rio-favela-violence-helicopter

I haven’t been back since!

Luxury, for me, is kicking off my shoes and sitting with my family at home.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls