What is the best way for me book a complex travel schedule

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

PhilipHart
    Participant

Dear Travel Manager,

I have spotted a very nice Fare Basis through ExpertFlyer – IBWEO4WA – and have concocted a nifty routing to take in two required business stops and a couple of side trips.

However, as it is pretty complex, it is doubtful that I would be able to use any of the Carrier or online Travel Agent websites to make the booking.

So what should I do?

Contact the Carrier by phone? Contact a local Travel Agent? Contact a national Travel Agent?

I would gladly use a local Travel Agent (to provide some business for the local economy), but am concerned that they might find the complexity too daunting, or insufficiently rewarding for the amount of work – although I would happily pay a fee.

All thoughts gratefully received.

Philip.

ps, for those interested, the routing would be: DUB-PHL-MSP-PHX-SFO-PHX/DFW-STL-CLT-PHL-LHR-LCY-DUB in Business Class (First Class in US) for a base fare of £1237 + £150 for stopovers + Taxes.

BigDog.
    Participant

Tim Fitzgerald posts here regularly, always willing to help forum members providing expert knowledge and valuable insights. Suggest you should try contacting him directly…

http://www.tctravelmanagement.co.uk/tim.fitzgerald

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BigDog +1

very knowledgeable and a really nice guy.. always willing to help, even if no ticket is purchased..

Tim2soza
    Participant

BigDog +1

Senator
    Participant

I tend to call the issuing carrier for this and book it over the phone. I have done this with BA and United who have charged me nothing. I have also done the same with Lufthansa and Swiss, who have charged me the equivalent of £25 for the pleasure. I have no issue with this fee, I got what I wanted.

This looks like a mix of US Airways, American and BA. Whichever carrier have at least one of the trans-Atlantic flights I would call. I have great success in getting BA to book for me.

Before I call, I pick my own flights using ExpertFlyer and look for:
    BA short-haul: J-class inventory
    BA/AA long-haul: I-class inventory
    US long-haul: Z-class inventory
    AA/US domestic: A-class inventory

Then I call the carrier.. It does require some planning, but the best $9.99 I spend each month is my ExpertFlyer subscription 🙂

PhilipHart
    Participant

Hi All,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

@BigDog, thank you for reminding me of Tim. I have read his comments on BT, but couldn’t recall his name. And the search capability wasn’t as useful as I had hoped.

@MartynSinclair, @Tim2sms, thanks for confirming @BigDog’s suggestion.

@Senator, I have – as you suggest – already selected the flights I want to make, and have checked inventory, etc. The last step is just to make the booking!

The flights are indeed AA/BA, and I did try to call AA, but there were some (let us say) language difficulties which did not inspire with confidence. One of the flights is on BA, so maybe I will give them a call.

BTW, I visited my local travel agent – no name, no pack drill – and that was an equally unpromising avenue as AA – though for different reasons 🙁

SimonS1
    Participant

I would say you need a business focused travel agent as opposed to a high street (holiday type) agent. Tim is very good and exactly what to look for.

batterytraveller
    Participant

Hipmunk Alloa you to mess around with routing codes to price a complex itinerary. When I’ve done it from the states it completes the booking through Priceline. I discovered a great routing PIT-MEL with a stop in London which ITA matrix could see but no one else could but I was able to construct it in hipmunk and book it. Be careful checking your itinerary, it’s really easy to screw it up.

mkcol74
    Participant

I’d either phone BA or book it on aa.com

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’d also recommend Tim, unhesitatingly.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls