What is inappropriate content on the Forum?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m an ex-poster but someone who still keeps a great interest in what happens on the Forum, and who still keeps in touch with quite a few participants privately.

In “lurker” mode, I’ve seen quite a few posts which have been “reported for inappropriate content” without it being at all apparent why. The latest is example is on JoCo’s topic about “Do we get value for money?”

Both FDOS’ and bluemooner’s responses have been flagged up as having being thus reported, but I can’t see for the life of me why. Can someone please explain?

I expect some smart so and so will report this post of mine in the same way…. šŸ˜‰

Regards and safe travels,

Simon

K1ngston
    Participant

I agree Simon, very strange. The only explanation is the report button is next to the reply button and gets pressed in error?? I would like to think thats the only reason ….

stevescoots
    Participant

when the new forum came on line i did hit the wrong button once or twice, now i am careful to be sure. If someone does do it by mistake it would help if they just dropped a message about it.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,
    It’s either people pressing it by accident, or to annoy the poster, or to genuinely alert us when someone has gone off topic or lost their temper and said something inappropriate or it’s just spam.
    I look at it most mornings and either “unpress” the button or delete the whole thread and ban the spammer as I did this morning on a few threads.
    Nothing very high tech, I’m afraid, but it helps us when there isn’t chance to read every word of every thread.
    thank you
    Tom

PhilipHart
    Participant

@K1ngston is correct, this particular aspect of the UI is very poor. The “Report” button shouldn’t be right next to the “Reply” button, as it is way too easy to click the wrong button.

About a month ago I did offer to write the tiny bit of code that would provide a bit of guard against this, but Tom Otley didn’t get back to me šŸ™

Here it is (if there is someone at BT who knows how to edit the code) …

(The “report.html” would obviously need to be replaced by the URL which triggers the particular reporting action)

capetonianm
    Participant

I don’t know much about website design but would it be possible to programme in a check message such as :
    “Are you sure you wish to report this posting for inappropriate content?”

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The whole website is being relaunched in a redesign in the next fortnight and this problem will I hope be solved.

I’m sorry I didn’t get back to you PhilipHart but I didn’t see the original post, and if I did, I forgot.

I have tried to upload a picture of it but the software only allows me to do this if I stand on one leg, rub my tummy and think of something else.

travelworld2
    Participant

Ah, Tom- I have that software too….:-)

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I am confident that pretty much everyone who contributes to this forum knows when they have crossed, or are about to cross, the line. Sadly we live in a world where political correctness supersedes common sense. In that regard I find myself sadly agreeing with Herr Trump. Would that meet the criteria for “inappropriate comment”? Tom I hope the web relaunch suffers less troubles than the last one and to finish on a light hearted note I have seen Tom standing on one leg rubbing his tummy and that will probably get him a spot on “Britain’s Got Talent”

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

No, you are allowed to agree with Trump and calling him Herr implying in a light-hearted way that he is a dictator (he wishes!) is only mildly offensive.

I’m not encouraging bare knuckle arguments, but we aren’t the snowflake generation, are we? We don’t need trigger warnings. Facebook ensures we only see what we want to see. A forum is somewhere to exchange opinions and learn something new, I hope. Although I’d prefer it if this one stuck to travel !

And thank you for putting up with this software. I’m hoping the new website loads much more quickly and is better on mobile devices.

Hope springs eternal, however….

Flightlevel
    Participant

Please can we be non-pc when there’s an election,a little satire or irony is good for politics!

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Have just got off a flight and wish there was a button I could press for ‘inappropriate seat’. 3 hours of 29 inch pitch for 195cm rotund fella like me ain’t pretty. Now to find somone to report them too!

New BT website design sounds interesting!!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=826587]I am confident that pretty much everyone who contributes to this forum knows when they have crossed, or are about to cross, the line. Sadly we live in a world where political correctness supersedes common sense. In that regard I find myself sadly agreeing with Herr Trump. Would that meet the criteria for ā€œinappropriate commentā€? Tom I hope the web relaunch suffers less troubles than the last one and to finish on a light hearted note I have seen Tom standing on one leg rubbing his tummy and that will probably get him a spot on ā€œBritainā€™s Got Talentā€

[/quote]

Indeed. PC has gone mad.

K1ngston
    Participant

I agree Simon, but as a lot of people dont know the actual person they are speaking to so being a little “tongue in cheek”with someone you know is a whole lot different if you dont ….

But I agree a little satire and irony is good ….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

“New website” fills me with fear. Just got used to this one – finally!
    Following on from Capetonian, perhaps if we had to add a reason why we’re reporting it it would highlight to the poster a mistake has been made, but also, if not an error, make him/her explain their reasons.

Diverting as others have done from the original thread, I hate this PC world we now live in. Where I have to be careful about what I say in case I offend someone, and everyone seems to be so easily offended nowadays. Where I have to ignore a young child who chooses to play near my seat in a lounge or restaurant in case I’m seen as a pervert, molester or worse for either engaging with them should they choose to speak to me or show me something, or asking them politely to go away if they start to pick up my phone or Tablet. Bring back the old days I say – or were they worse???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls