What has happened to T5 BA First Lounge!!

Back to Forum

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dutchyankee 18 Oct 2012
at 14:11

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

Goldcardsaplenty
    Participant

The First Lounge in T5 is one of my favourite lounges in the world. Of that there is no doubt.

I hadn’t been through LHR for a while but a couple of days ago I found myself with a couple of hours to spare in T5 so I headed for the lounge.

Even though it was late afternoon on a Wednesday and the rest of the terminal was quiet the First Lounge was absolutely packed.

The usually appetising food display looked as if it had been hit by a swarm of locusts and the tables were covered with debris from previous passengers foraging.

A few disinterested staff were trying to cope with the demand but failed miserably.

I have never experienced this wonderful lounge like this and I hastily left to soothe my shattered calm with a pint, or two, in Huxley’s (will someone please change the Fawlty Towers DVD that plays constantly on the screens behind the bar) and as I was leaving I heard one very irate passenger complaining about the state of the lounge. He was told that the reason that the lounge was so busy was that BA had given away Gold Cards to BMI Gold holders.

As BMI Gold cards were given away to anyone with a pulse (I was given one when they found out that I held 5 Gold Cards with other airlines!) this may explain it.

Anyone know if this is true??????

PerthWA
    Participant

Gold cards… I agree, I was there on a late Sunday morning two weeks ago and it was awful. Not a seat to spare and as the coffee isnt that great, headed downstairs to gordon ramsay. It was actually oddly enough much more interesting and fun to people watch for a change!

dutchyankee
    Participant

I was in the First Lounge this past Saturday between 16h00 and 18h30, and on Sunday between 13h00 and 16h00, and on both occassions I would say the lounge was decidedly busier than I had known it to be, but I found seating in my favorite area (the terrace), the staff at the entrance were incredibly friendly (much improved over my last stays), food offering was excellent, and this time I chose to order from the menu instead of eating from the extensive buffet. I ordered the BA burger which was actually very good, and loved the chips in the mini fryer basket. Champs a plenty, nothing wrong at all. I would say, the clearing of plates and tables was a bit slow, but I also have to say, I am always shocked at how some travellers do make an absolute mess of the areas they sit in, and just leave all their rubbish lying around when they leave. It is a disgrace, and I would hate to see what some of these people’s homes look like.

I did venture on Sunday to the Galleries Lounge Northside as I went for a stroll through the shops and as I had never seen it before. I was met by an absolute circus, so happily trotted back to Galleries South and back to the First Lounge luxury.

All said and done, my last two visits to the First Lounge were excellent. And compared to the vast majority of lounges within Europe and the USA, BA’s lounges are by far superior.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls