What happens after BA Gold?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

chriswiles
    Participant

I’m currently BA Gold, enjoying the perks including the better lounge access. But, I’m using my Avois points travelling to various destinations through 2015 and 2016. I’ve only paid for a single flight, so far, so my tier points collected this year are something like a lowly 230. This is unlikely to change before my Gold expires next March.

What happens when Gold expires? Do you just drop down to Blue? I read somewhere – perhaps falsely – that Gold members drop down to Silver, whatever number of tier points they’ve accrued (or not accrued in my case)?

If you went from Gold to Blue, overnight, I’d potentially question my future use of BA, I think, such would be the shock value of the drop!

first_class_please
    Participant

You will drop to silver if you do not earn the 1,500 points required to renew gold.

Then you have 1 year to earn the required 600 points to remain at silver, or drop to bronze.

chriswiles
    Participant

Cheers first_class_please. That’s what I read somewhere, but could never find it again. Definitely won’t get near the 1500 this year as I’m only using my Avois (for the moment).

Silver is acceptable. Gold is preferable, but Silver is fine.

NTarrant
    Participant

I think BA are quite fair on this, unlike Hilton who banged me down to Blue from Gold when I only did two stays one year!

WillieWelsh
    Participant

I was comped to BA gold when they bought BD. There was no way I could retain it and dropped to silver, I retained silver but will be bronze very soon as I haven’t retained silver.

I understand though that to get the soft landing you need to have completed four paid sectors in your membership year otherwise it really is a swift route back to blue or bronze if you have completed at least two.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

I am mindful that some either don’t have the time, or the inclination or even the dosh for such a self-indulgence, but lest you have any or all of the afore-mentioned, courtesy of FlyerTalk, there are some spectacular deals that come up that will go quite some way towards retaining your BAEC Gold card. Such as the DUB-LHR (BA J) LHR-JFK (BA/AA J) JFK-LAX (AA J) LAX-HNL (AA F) and return for around £1,200 and something like 1,060 TPs. It’s worth having a sniff around the site for the occasional bargain/steal:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls