What Giveaway do you want in F and J

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

thansk Ishmael, yep, tried that but I have strange ears! I cannot use the inner eartype eaphones either as they fall out as well! I cannot use most types of headphones either as they hurt my ears after a couple of hours. Used to have a nice set of B&W but they were not comfortable, now i travel with my Bose all the time, when I want a nap I slip them on with the noise reduction on but not plugged in, kills the engine noise but a bit hard to sleep with! think i will go down the custom ones instead

Bullfrog
    Participant

@Binman62

I understand your question about ‘what giveaway’ would I like in F or J Class. Some of the vanity kits are a waste of time.

PJs are useful for those that wish to sleep, and to be honest, I’m happy bringing my own toothbrush, but one supplied by the airline is always useful in case I forget.

I’d be happier if the airline forgot about giveaways & concentrated on the essentials. An optimum meal service in terms of choice and quality, together with a seat/ bed providing optimum comfort whether I wished to recline with a book or sleep the night away.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Maybe when I retire Binman, I’ll have the time to put them on ebay. Might pay for a few flights and help keep the old gold card a bit longer!

Have to agree with Steve about people leaving the bathroom floor wet. I always hope it is water from the tap and not a bad aim! I travel with Timberlands, so tend to slip those on before heading for the bathroom.

I also have a pair of Harrods Travel Slippers, bought about 20 years ago for £100. They take up the same space as the freebies they hand out in F, but are really great for hotel rooms and on board.

Also great to see many of you use the pyjamas for lounging about in hotel rooms or at home. I do the same and for some reason they seem more comfortable than shop bought ones!

BlackTower
    Participant

The original zip up Hindmarsh print washbag on First with BA was great.

Like towel handy for Gym. On BA most of all I want decenty food in F and CW

Has anyone picked up on the promised improvements? I have’nt been longhaul in a while?

stevescoots
    Participant

I am taking BA to LAX and HKG to LHR in a few weeks, will let you know!

RHMAngel
    Participant

Well this is cheerful thread 😉

I agree with others, I go for the PJs, a long haul flight, nothing extra to carry on and Virgin’s come in 3 sizes. I change immediately to be honest, so I at least look fresh even if I don’t feel it.

I take them with me after a flight (in fact encouraged to…not pilferaging). Definitely wouldn’t be bidding £50 on eBay for them *laugh* but they’re great for guests at home who’ve forgotten their own. And I sure use my sets (quite a few now) til the wear out… to slop around in on my own.

I too noticed a down-shift in the quality of items now though (sadly). Socks are a complete waste agreed, no size ‘fits all’ – they’re no better in this class than economy I found (that’s when socks were even being supplied). Its not like their ‘special DVT combatting ones’, they were difficult to fob off even on a dodgy uncle.

At one point Virgin had Oswald Boatang tie up, I had some nice cuff-links and other goodies – but these days seem gone – but the flight price stayed the same or even went up, I note 😡 what a surprise. So washbags sadly aren’t worth taking now a days 🙁 But my family sure had a fair few given to them, when they were worth keeping.

Good quality toothbrush & branded toiletries are welcomed.

Small face/hand towel airline monogramed would be nice. Perhaps a tiny book of a city destination (on their route, if they can’t do the city that flight is going to).

@Bullfrog – while I agree with on airlines getting the basics – its nice that the extras are noted, and that F&J customers are treated to upmarket tiny extras, afterall the ticket price is far from a “tiny extra” $£$ 😉

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

While the giveaways are nice I wonder how many people open a washbag after they get off the plane? Many are probably thrown away as most of us have far more of them than we could ever use. I have an old TG F one in my gym bag and it’s great for that and has years of service left in it.

PJs in F & C would be good along with a towel but I would echo others, what about getting the basics right first. There are obvious things on most airlines that should be a lot better than they are in F&C e.g. on BA it’s the food which is pretty lamentable and never something to look forward to whereas on LH F for years it was the seats but the food was great.

Delsurrey
    Participant

Nothing will beat the Concorde gift. I appreciate where VK is coming from with regard to over generous cabin crew (BA security are known to monitor eBay!) but I think it is safe for me to say that I used to gather a few extras from the crew who knew some of their regulars were not interested in the gift.

Recordman
    Participant

A decent razor would be welcome such as a Gillette Mach 3. When I have visited the arrivals lounge I have had to ask for a razor and the only type BA has is the disposable BIC type which do a great job in ripping ones face to pieces!

RHMAngel
    Participant

Personally, I didn’t throw away the wash bag, adding to a junk mountain…

But now they’re not worth keeping, I simply don’t take them, but chuck the toiletries in my bag, travel size is always handy.

ps, they won’t give out decent razors because of the ‘damage’, self-harm, or threat or sue-you element 😉 on a plane…(sure in the lounges maybe)

Decent takeaway nibbles crew let me chuck in, when you get to a new city, it could be a while before you eat or find somewhere local to get something, staves off that hunger.

Binman62
    Participant

RHMAngel ….ps, they won’t give out decent razors because of the ‘damage’, self-harm, or threat or sue-you element 😉 on a plane………..

What irony…..the BIC type razor is probably the most dangerous piece of shaving kit every invented. Recordman was quite right it is only useful for tearing your face apart….in other words…. for self harming

travelgirl
    Participant

I too love the old BA Anya Hindmarch hard ladies wash case and still use it today for jewellery when travelling. Most wash bags are left on board unless v.special. There should certainly be F & M versions – combs, socks mini toothbrush are a waste of time – an exotic super hydrating cream (Elemis/Liz Earle/Prescriptives) would be good, breath mints, eye drops, wet wipes, Boroccas or similar to take as a health drink on arrival. I used to love the old days on CX when a bottle of Dior was incl. I think if the wash rooms were clean/better equipped with hand cream, mini-mouthwash, deodrent etc they could make the wash bags more interesting. I’ve used the shower on the Emirates A380 and the fab towel is yours to take if you wish. I hate the pj’s – some cabin crew call them PPU’s – passengers prison uniforms!

RichHI1
    Participant

Two things spring to my mind both of which have added value in flight and also afterwards as a memento. Firstly as some posters have said would be a nice pen (biro or fiber tip for preference in black) as you always need to fill out customs and landing cards and getting your carry on out and hunting for the pen is a pain.
    Secondly I notice when you fly often times some British travelers feel awkward changing into pajamas particularly young ladies who wish to preserve their modesty. I think a lightweight dressing gown or cover up (I have a full length cotton Yakuta I bought in Japan which works well in Hotels where the bathrobes are too short.) would be valuable. It could be worn to and from the seat and also be used poolside etc in propertes where they encourage appropriate dress in lobbies and public areas. (Just make it unisex (similar colors to BA Pajamas) or offer men (L or XL) and women (S or M) .

Guesswho100
    Participant

I was in CW to New York (JFK) last week – food was terrible, as always in BA, no sign of any improvement. Wine list looked impressive when first read, but as usual it was ‘sorry sir we don’t have that one today’. BA in flight catering continues to be a joke

Inquisitive
    Participant

I did not realize that BA Pjs are GBP50 worth. Now I know what to do, if I am short of cash. I have a number of F pj and I use them regularly at home. I have also a good collection of SQ Givanchy sets – how much those will be worth?
    Nowdays my F travel is curtailed and in business my favorite airlines are not supplying pjs any more. This could be reinstated. Qantas and Virgin still provides this – but very poor quality.
    In addition to pj,a good moisturiser and lip bum is very essential. I would like to include a small pair of trimmer scissors. I missed this when I am only with hand luggage (not allowed), I then have to get one at destination from hotel or supermarket as I sport a moustache.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls