What fate awaits Emirates?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• Anonymous

Airpocket
    Participant

While the UAE authorities continue to oscillate between obfuscating the facts, absolving themselves of any responsibility,and, generally coming across as bufoons, the more worrying question that arises from the dust storm is “what fate awaits Emirates?”
    I just caught a report on CNBC that stated that the UAE authorities will not guarantee Emirates’s debt. How ludicrous! Isn’t EK a government-run entity?
    Is there a danger of EK going bust?If the UAE govt. hasn’t got the money to pay the interest on the loans drawn down by Nakheel, how on earth will it support EK?
    And, why is there an almost reverential silence on the topic from BT?This is BT’s opportunity to really pursue a pertinent and ground-breaking story (ok,I admit, we’ve had airline failures in the past so perhaps this really isnt ground-breaking but, given the wider context of Dubai, it’s quite a sub-plot!) rather than churning out glib and interchangeable flight reviews etc.,

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Gosh – turning up the heat on BT now

…..”churning out glib and interchangeable flight reviews etc.,”?

Airpocket – is there anything in the world of business travel that gives you pleasure?

That aside – its an interesting point. Massive expansion fueled (pardon the pun) by debt is surely more difficult in the current climate. The management have always stated that thy have a sustainable business model, but I imagine this was based on the credit conditions of a healthy UAE.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The last headlines regarding Emirates was that it was on track to make a billion dollars next year, so I don’t think there’s much question about it going bust.

As for the interchangeable reviews, I’m beginning to feel the same way about your posts on this forum, Airpocket.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

I think the question is – what is that $1m projection based on? If the debt and banking covenents are suddenly changed, will that have impact on their business model. I think the lessons of the last couple of weeks is that all in Dubai isn’t quite what it seems….

Senator
    Participant

It is a sad day when the moderator/site admin starts sparring with contributors of this forum regardless of his/her “blows”. Yes, I agree there is an awful list of negative remarks in this forum, but would expect the Publisher to stay cool and professional throughout any storm. With the same token, I would expect that if the audience/forum participants are unhappy with the quantity and quality of BT’s publication(s) they simple walk away and find their information somewhere else. The spirit of this forum has turned negative, condescending, and I really wish it would stop.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Its not much of a storm Senator! I think its meant tongue in cheek. We will see though 😉

Senator – do you have anything to add about the topic Airpocket has raised? otherwise his interesting question will de-generate into a long diatribe about posting etiquette

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, made tongue in cheek, but we don’t have emoticoms on this forum software.

I agree we should keep it positive, though recent strings about weighing fat people at check-in probably don’t qualify as such.

I hope everypone likes the few improvements we’ve made to the forum recently – there are more coming in the new year, including, I hope, moderators, so that should help….

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello everyone,

it will be very interesting to see what if anything happens to EK as a result of what is happening in Dubai. I think it very unlikely that EK will go to the wall as whether it is a government owned entity or not they seem to be weathering the storm quite well compared to other carriers. I also think it highly unlikely that the government there would allow it to go under given it is their national carrier and from what I have been reading about them they are tremendous ambassadors for the region.

To our dear site administrator, thank you for the improvements that you have made so far to the site following the feedback we gave you. We look forward to the further improvements planned for the new year.

All that it remains for me to do is wish you all an excellent weekend wherever you are. Me, I am off to Tel Aviv tonight on BA from T5 so watch this space for my thoughts on both.

Safe travels,

Jonathan

Senator
    Participant

I guess I need to have my “good mood” glasses on then 🙂

Safe travel everyone.

Airpocket
    Participant

Gooner, I actually find Business Travel (as opposed to Business Traveller, the magazine) interesting as I tend to travel often on business, like many psoters on here. Does inything in BT (not the magazine) give me pleasure?Sure…efficient airports, good, well-equipped, lounges, smooth flights, edible cuisine onboard, and something interesting to read .
    It’s still early days yet as far as the outcome for EK is concerned. I, however, remain wary.
    Perhaps the Site Administrator could give us a sneak preview of the next issue by hinting at what new and unprecedented stories the magazine will be covering next month?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hi Airpocket,

The December/January issue will be out next week, so you’ll have to wait until then, I’m afraid. Yesterday on the website we broke the Virgin Upper Class story, and were first or among the first for Cathay Pacific to Milan and Emirates to Amsterdam.

We have the largest team of dedicated business travel journalists in the world. There’s lots we could do better, of course, which is why we listen to our subscribers’ opinions and those of the posters on the forum. The recent improvements on the forum were as a result of their suggestions.

However sneering sarcasm of other’s opinions and of the magazine’s editorial efforts doesn’t really add much to either the forum or the magazine/ website. If the other posters on this forum want to see your recent efforts, they should simply type your user name into the search facility . Not very edifying, I’m afraid.

Airpocket
    Participant

Sometimes honest opinion doesn’t make allowances for niceties such as that which overflows from your stories.
    So you “broke” stories about new routes and seat capacity reductions. Big deal. This information could easily have been obtained from the airlines’ websites.
    The stench of regurgitation is overwhelming; you basically repeat what the airlines spoonfeed you in numerous instances. Nothing causes a stink (talk about “unedifying”) as regurgitation.
    What I might say may not be “edifying” but at least I don’t sycophantically follow my paymasters, i.e. the advertisers.
    How about you let me run the magazine for a month an I’ll show you what l can do?

Cashsuds
    Participant

The question is whether BT sees itself as a consumer critic such as T3 is to electronic gadgetry and incude in its forum a general consensus of the consumers of travel and its paraphenalia. I have not seen a review or an editorial from BT that speaks strongly in what it believes in as being appropriate or suggestive of a standard that the Business traveller should expect, or is it because it lacks what it takes!!

All the same,in defence of BT, you guys do give us an excellent platform to inform and be informed, but in the current age of Information Technology,and being human, maybe we seek for something “higher” perhaps??

TonyMP45
    Participant

I have to say that this discussion is yet another example of moaning for moaning’s sake. I think BT provides a superb service to the business traveller and I will continue to subscribe. Airpocket, if you don’t like what they print, don’t bother reading it and do something else with your time. It’s the same as people complaining about tv programmes that they don’t like. Have they not heard of the Off button.
    Keep up the good work Business Traveller!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls