What do you for a living that allows you to travel?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)

• Senator
    Participant

Oh dear, it looks like I have stirred up a (small) hornets’ nest. Not intended. I think it is the cultural element kicking in here. As you know, in Scandinavia we are less focused on privacy, and have a higher threshold of trust in Government etc. I sense people thought I went on a fishing trip to get certain people’s credentials and are taking the cynical/suspicious view of this. It was intended merely to understand what sort of people spent time travelling, reading this forum, and taking a keen interest in its topics. No hidden agenda at all I am afraid.

What thought would be interesting to know was if we are a true homogenous group; business leaders or if there were aid workers, diplomats, couriers etc. among us.

I am sorry to disappoint the conspiracy theorists out there 🙂

stevescoots
    Participant

Senator, people will say or they wont 🙂

robsmith100
    Participant

I am an IT Services Consultant for a global IT firm and reside in the South East of England and concurrently do work for some independant software houses providing consultancy and bid/sales support. This has involved some travel across major parts in mainland europe.

Current Travel Pattern;
    UK Wide using a mixture of trains, car and very occasionaly by air.
    East Cost Trains Rewards, Hertz #1 Awards & Continental OnePass.

Sadly not as hardcore as some of you lot, but aim to full that part of my life at some point soon 😉

More of you should really try and come to our Posters Forum get togethers they are good fun and great for networking.

Senator
    Participant

stevecoots,

Absolutely, that is anyone’s right to do. I was not expecting that all would, or as I say hoping for “certain” people would. Just a “straw poll” of the group that is it… And I now know you are an International Man of Mystery, that is more than I knew before 🙂

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Senator: One more for you here.

I travel for work (an unconventional business man) and even more so for fun ( a gentleman of leisure) as travel is in my veins now, having grown up traversing the globe since at a tender age

Many of my friends found me rather mysterious too as I do not conform(I have the advantage of being able to hide behind a bamboo curtain at times!)

Happy travel! .

BABenji
    Participant

32 Years old. UK based.
    Entire professional career (since graduation in ’02) in medical sales. 2 companies. One capital equipment, one consumables. Always in International Sales
    Have visited approx. 60 countries
    Approx 60 – 70 sectors per year
    First ever business trip was to Cairo
    Most recent was KUL, SYD, AKL, SYD (arrived home this morning)

Current travel pattern: ZRH, IST, DXB/AUH, SIN, KUL, SYD, AKL (and everywhere inbetween in Oz and NZ), CAI, DUB

BA Gold
    Priority Club Platinum
    Hilton Gold
    Accor Gold
    Hertz Gold

ekond111
    Participant

Senator – what a lovely thread – it allows basic profiling of fellow subscribers to this forum – as opposed to the to the “me me me me Martyn Sinclair bigoted self opinionated, I’m feeling lonely today and I’ve just turned 50 blah blah – please give me some tea and sympathy” trollop.

Born in London
    Reside in Chelsea
    250 days spent oversea (that’s the average for the last 10 years)
    International Mergers and Acquisitions consultant
    70+sectors per year (average for the last 15 years)
    BA Concorde Card
    Platinum Air France
    Gold Air Astana Card
    Diamond Hilton
    …and few others

Regular commute to the US and Far East and Australia

Next 3 weeks back and forth from the UK Sweden, Russia, US, Australia

PatJordan
    Participant

ekond111,

have to disagree with your opinion of Martyn Sinclair. Part of this forum is indeed sharing experiences and tips, etc. An equally important part is the sharing of personal thoughts and experiences.

Sure, some might not like this aspect, that is human nature. But to launch a personal attack on a poster serves little purpose is (in my opinion) uncalled for.

Pat

ekond111
    Participant

Actually PJordan – I agree with you – when MS does share his experiences and tips – he’s excellent –
    Re read entry 7 of this thread (there are many other examples of comments of this ilk and worse that have been submitted by MS) – it’s not a personal attack on MS – just a substantiated observation.

Again I was complimenting Sentaor on the topic of this thread.

HappytobeSilver
    Participant

Senator

39 year old medical doctor who’s consultancy work for European organisations takes him from Dublin in the west to Tbilisi in the east..
    Was born and live in Scotland and favourite indulgence is ‘travel up the front’, for which I always pay the upgrade costs from econ to business.

Find BA Amex 2 for 1 offer great value and usually manage one longhaul trip in F with my wife each year on account of that. .

Recently been to IST, TBS, AGP, AUH, DXB, SIN and about to go to MLA, CPT AND SFO in coming months.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Senator, Great Topic.

46 Years old. Born in the USA but we moved to Jakarta when I was under 1 year old. Have lived throughout Asia, Africa and the Middle East as my father was in the hotel business. I now own three hotels, one luxury B&B, and two major 4 star chain branded. I live in both Belgium and the Netherlands, and tend to fly exit BRU or AMS.

I have been BA Gold since 1995, and have a number of hotel loyalty cards. I don’t fly many other airlines with the exception of Swiss for european travel. I fly every 6 to 8 weeks between AMS and MCO on BA in Club, and do at least one inter europe business trip per month and three long haul vacation trips with my other half, 1 or 2 of which are in First. Most popular destinations for us are MCO, JFK, MIA, BGI, EZE, DAR, JNB, HKG, and HNL.

pinstripes&airmiles
    Participant

@Senator – agree, great topic

– 31 years old, male, UK national
    – Born and raised in London and the South East
    – Reside in the North East of the UK
    – Lived, studied or worked in the UK, Netherlands, Belgium and Denmark
    – 9 years at a global manufacturing organisation, mostly travel within the EMEA region
    – 5 years in a commercial leadership role where travel has averaged around 90-120 days per year
    – Don’t normally travel in premium cabins or on FF fares
    – Most frequently visited locations are: AMS, DUS, LYS, GVA, DUB, CDG, LUX, WAW, LIN, BAR, IST, CPH
    – BAEC Silver
    – BDDC Silver
    – AF/KLM FB Platinum
    – Priority Club Platinum
    – Hertz #1 Gold

MartynSinclair
    Participant

ekond111/Peter – martynsinclair @ hotmail.com you are more than welcome to criticize or make observations about me direct, rather than hiding behind a name/cyberspace.

Great thread Senator

ekond111
    Participant

Martyn I’d rather do that face to face – rather than hide behind an email address – let’s get back to the thread ….

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I hope we are now one happy cyber family!!!!!!!!!

Irrespective of one’s background, race, age and sex.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls