What do men want from a hotel?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Anonymous

manabouttown
    Participant

Laundry service, a bar, a mini-bar and a desk, apparently.

http://www.hotel.info/showteaser.aspx?teaser=3635&lng_hb=1&lng=EN&utm_campaign=Newsletter_GBR&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&cpn=25&ccs=2

Women, on the other hand, need parking and a hairdryer. Oh, and a desk as well.

http://www.hotel.info/showteaser.aspx?lng=EN&teaser=3636&lng_hb=1

So women don’t drink or wash their clothes, and men don’t drive. Glad we got that one sorted…

BABenji
    Participant

– two plug sockets next to the bed

– maximum two light switches rather than the 15,000 that are often found and even then the standard lamp in the corner of the room isn’t connected to any of them so you have to get out of bed to turn it off

– an internet connection that is faster than dial-up

– an internet connection that doesn’t require me to phone down to reception for a passcode or some equally convoluted method of getting online.

– an iron and ironing board in the room

– an iron that creates enough heat/steam to remove creases

– an ironing board that has some padding, not so i end up with the criss-cross pattern of the metal on my shirt

– something other than “propaganda tv” that is CNN

– the ability to determine my own room temperature (i’m looking at you Switzerland!)

– a luggage stand that is deep enough so that you can open your case and the lid stays up rather than constantly falling down because there isn’t enough clearance between the stand and the wall.

i’m sure there’s more, but i’ve just worn myself out….

Kaicat75
    Participant

If there was a facebook style “like” button i would be pressing it….
    BA Benji you are spot on.

– one additional one….. if hotels are going to supply tourist guide style books, which do have their uses even on business, can they please not hide them in the bottom drawer / bottom of the wardrobe so i dont find them till i am about to leave.

travelworld
    Participant

BA Benjii that is all so true. The presence of 15,000 light switches per room- plus the standard lamp not linked to any of them must be in a hotel design manual somewhere, they are so common.

I’d add a shower curtain that prevents the bathroom floor from resembling a tsunami- and a shower that can be adjusted easily, without microsurgery and then keeps a constant temperature. Very hot then very cold may give you a good average temperaure, but that isn’t what we are after….

Kaicat75
    Participant

– also a ‘do not disturb’ sign that really means ‘do not disturb’. Not please wake me up just bacause i am ment ot be checking out this morning and there is half a chance i may have left my room already so you can clean it.

ChinaEddie
    Participant

Just to add a couple more:
    – Proper slippers, not just 2 pieces of cardboards
    – Plug sockets that cater for multi-national-plug heads, not just local to that country/area.
    – A spare toilet roll inside; just in case.

😉

Tim2soza
    Participant

Repeating common themes

1. Power sockets that don’t require taking the room to bits to find them.
    2. Quiet room.
    3. Comfy bed.
    4. BBC News 24 or Sky News.
    5. Wifi that works.
    6. Silent aircon.

steveuk
    Participant

Power socket and ethernet port NEAR the desk.

AlanReynolds1
    Participant

Also instructions by the shower on how to operate it, on the assumption that the guest does not have a degree in mechanical engineering

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I turned the “Do Not Disturb” light on once, went to bed, and mid-morning they rang up to tell me my “Do Not Disturb” light was on, but did I want the mini bar refilling?

Kaicat75
    Participant

ok one for the females…

a plug socket near a mirror that is not in the bathroom so hair dryers/straightners etc can be used in the main room.

Hotel the other week involved kneeling on the floor so i had enough wire in the hairdryer to be able to see in the mirror as well.

Binman62
    Participant

WIFI / internet access at a costs that does not drive me out to Starbucks or worse macdonalds!!

robsmith100
    Participant

A pool with adult only swim times or better still seperate pools.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

6. Silent aircon.

Often, noisy aircon is caused by a dust/fibre build up in the fan unit.

It is worth asking reception to send an engineer, who will normally vacuum the fan, hey presto quiet aircon.

Living in a hot, dusty, climate, I do this at least once a year to our units and you’d be surprised how much you get out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls