What a Beauty! BA Rolls Out 757 RetroJet

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

• NTarrant
    Participant

Gregd75 – it is Queensland And Northern Territories AERIAL Services

gregd75
    Participant

OOOgh OK. thanks for that!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Continental Club

You said “It had nothing to do with paint quantities or weight.”

I remember receiving a newsletter from BA around that time (I was an FQTV with them from 1978 on), where they clearly stated that the savings in weight and paint were significant across the fleet. It may have been b*alls, but they did write that. I think it may have been in response to some people expressing an opinion the the big British looked lousy.

IIRC, it was in the same edition that they launched the ‘Spot the Shuttle’ competition, which showed a Trident about to take off from runway 28 right and you had to tick on the sky to predict where it would be 90 (or some other number) seconds later.

“All of a sudden, BA thought that it should be World Airways”

Could this possibly be because it was promoting itself for many years as ‘The World’s Favourite Airline?”

“And then came the current Speedmarque ribbon and softened titles, along with the infamous ethnic tailfins. As a branding exercise the latter were, without a doubt, commercially disastrous.”

Have you got a reference for this assertion?

I seem to recall that the airline built up its passenger numbers by about 5% in this period and that profits increased, with the resultant fall in profitbility coming in 2000, a year after the decision to remove the world tails was announced. Of course, 2000 was the year when the ‘dotcom’ boom ended and the tech sector and those associated with it hit the brick wall, which might have been something to do with the profit dip that year.

Luxembourger
    Participant

Will nobody else be sorry to see these planes go? Especially in their BA 3-cabin configuration they were as nice as it comes for a short-haul flight. Contrast the 737s and 320s we have to put up with now, which have roughly no passenger appeal at all.

NTarrant
    Participant

I agree David, I used to travel regularly LHR-MAN and back on these some years ago now. Liked the three cabin layout, used to get rows 7 or 8 when coming back to LHR as inverably it would pull on an international stand at T1 and disembarkation was usually from between front and middle cabin, which meant to got on the first bus.

poisonedcabinair
    Participant

Ahhh!!! Thats nice …..!! The Boeing 757 posoining Pax and Crew alike since 1983 !!! Mind all current generation jets have and continue to do so ……. http://www.aerotoxic.org Bring on the Boeing 787 Dreamliners and similar ‘non-bleed-air’ jets!!

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

And you could fly LHR-ABZ on a 757 with all that toxic bleed air & cosmic radiation then walk down Union St for some more after a few wines over the Pole (the one near Wigan that is).

Now you can do the same on a 320 if you’re lucky (more often a cram then in 319) à la LCC but you’ll need to walk back up the street to make up the risk score.

Yeah exactly, what a load of Aberdeen Angus waste. Bring on the full British breakfast aboard the 757 heritage flight and wash it down with the 1983 VK, one of his finest years.

Gulf self-loading freight? – wasn’t that the guy who wrote the tune to The Wombles? (4,6)

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls