West Coast line on Feb 16

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Capetown2k
    Participant

good morning

i need to travel to london from manchester/stockport by train on 16th feb, i understand maintenance work is being carried out on the west coast line

what are my options avoiding the WCL

thanks in advance

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

For upwards of £36 of your hard-earned money, Virgin/Aer Lingus will fly you down

Or the world’s favourite will do the same for upwards of £55

Probably cheaper than the train and defo cheaper than a hire-car + petrol.

BigDog.
    Participant

The closure is between Euston and Hemel H. Assuming the trains end at Hemel there should be buses for short connection to Watford and the metropolitan tube line into London.

I would avoid going to Birmingham then cross country lines via Leicester to Bedford for the first capital connect.

Alternatively, if flying was an option MAN is much closer to Stockport than Manchester itself.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Capetown2K –

You did not mention at what time you would be travelling.

February 16 is a Monday and according to virgintrains.co.uk trains will run at normal times from 16.30hrs.

Recognised rail diversion route is via Sheffield using EM Trains and the Midland Mainline to St Pancras.

But, judging by previous experience (when there have been no Manchester-London Euston trains) these services will be crowded so reservations are essential for the Sheffield-London sector. (Reservations may not be possible for Manchester-Sheffield).

But because of the longer rail journey and the fact that rail engineering works can overrun I would suggest you fly down to London (assuming, of course, that flights will not be disrupted by bad weather).

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/updates/route-improvements/spanner/?utm_source=bookingengine&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=spanner

canucklad
    Participant

Hi capetown2k
    I’d suggest the ECML service from Doncaster into Kings Cross, I’m sure you can get a Trans Pennine Express to Doncaster direct from the airport.
    The trouble is, I’d assume you’d have to pay for a fare that allows you the any route option.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

The other alternative is to take the xCountry train to Reading and change for the FGW trains to Paddington or SWT trains to Waterloo (depending on your final destination. Another option is to change at Birmingham New Street, walk across to Moor St station and get the train to Marylebone with Chiltern trains.

XCountry fares are expensive but there a plenty of split ticketing options available on a route like that can dramatically reduce the price.

Otherwise fly to Southampton with FlyBE and get the train to Waterloo.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

The trains all seem a lot of hassle when you could simply jump in a cab to Manchester Airport, fly to Heathrow and then hop on the Heathrow Express into town…

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Trains on the 16th are running from Manchester/Stockport through to Euston throughout the day, with 2 trains an hour instead of 3. Looks like journey time is 20 minutes longer than normal for possible works as they may be using slow lines on approaches into London. But no need to go via any other route. If you have a normal Saver ticket – then you can go via Sheffield but this will take much longer than the direct service to Euston.

Routing via Doncaster would not be permitted (and is even longer).

Other option is take to Cross Country to Reading and then get a train into Paddington – but this is very slow. Or change at Leamington Spa and get train into Marylebone.

However – I’d just take the direct service that they are offering

Capetown2k
    Participant

thank you all for your kind help
    think ill book virgin now, and have via reading as back up

leaving man about 11am

thanks again to all

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Capetown2K

Since you originally posted this thread, there has been a landslip which will affect trains operating directly between Manchester and Reading.

Originally the line was supposed to be closed at Harbury (between Leamington Spa and Banbury for a week. And that is what (at the time of writing) Cross Country trains is telling passengers on its website.

But Network Rail, which is undertaking the repair work has just indicated via Twitter (@networkrail) that the line is now expected “to be kept closed for several weeks.”

As you are travelling on February 16, you may wish to review your options.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls