Well, we are now well into our round the world trip.

Back to Forum

This topic contains 118 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  canucklad 24 Sep 2018
at 12:15

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 121 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

our home country was never Zimbabwe but always Rhodesia. ……… I routinely refer to the airport in Johannesburg as “Jan Smuts” something it has has not been since the early 1990s !
    I have no idea if this is some sort of repressed racism or simply habit on my part

I lived in Rhodesia for two years and routinely refer to it as that unless the context specifically requires me to say the Z word, which I detest. A few weeks ago I was having dinner and asked the very pleasant young waiter who was serving our table where he was from, and I was delighted that he said ‘Rhodesia’.

I have previously posted pictures of my boarding cards for Swiss flights to CPT, which still refer to D F Malan airport. One of the reasons I love flying Swiss. I still refer to Jan Smuts, etc.

Nostalgia lives on, and I shall keep it going as long as I have breath.

Charles-P
    Participant

LuganoPirate – in my experience the attitude of those who lived under Colonial rule is by no means universally negative. Although I am not defending the Colonial period I have experienced many positive comments as well. Clearly for countries like Rhodesia and Burma for much of the population life was certainly better under British rule. In France we employ two men of Algerian birth who have repeatedly said the country was better when it was run by the French and how the entire ‘Independence’ movement had more to do with a grab for political power and the influence of the religious elite.

It’s a subject far more complex than the simplistic right/wrong narrative we are now told is the only correct one to follow.

Regarding Vernon and Olive Lindsay, I do know an Andrew Lindsay born early sixties in Mazoe, might be a relation ?

Charles-P
    Participant

A follow up to my earlier post, here at the hotel I just now received a hand written note from the son of the wood carver I bought the elephant from. It contained his father’s detailed instructions for the care of the wood, where to place the carving in relation to the sun and his thanks for our conversation. Beautifully written and sent purely because of a craftsman’s love for his creation.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I frequently meet black people from ZA and RH who agree that life was better under the Nats/RF than it is now under the evil, corrupt and oppressive regimes that only look after their elite.

Charles-P
    Participant

I am currently reading “Cry Havoc” by the mercenary Simon Mann – he has written eloquently on the tribal based corruption that pervades much of Africa and how still to the day so many ‘ordinary’ black Africans look to Europe for a return to the old days. He mentions something that I have heard on more than one occasion how the ANC in South Africa was and is lauded by the European intelligentsia while in reality they have simply replaced the old unaccountable white elite with a similarly unaccountable black one.

Charles-P
    Participant

This Friday we fly to Vietnam via Singapore with Singapore Airlines, we are flying Business Class with them and I understand they operate the A330-330 on that flight. Any observations or comments from forum members on the best seat etc ? I was advised 14A and B as being good ?

Thanks

capetonianm
    Participant

the ANC in South Africa was and is lauded by the European intelligentsia while in reality they have simply replaced the old unaccountable white elite with a similarly unaccountable black one.

I’m not sure I’d call them ‘intelligentsia’, but rather hypocrites such as the loathsome Peter Hain who have overseen the wreaking of havoc and then stepped back.
    The old white elite set up functioning infrastructures for all. Granted those for the indigenous blacks were of a lower standard than those for whites, but without the ‘evil colonisers’ they would have had nothing.
    The new regimes have overseen the destruction of so much, to the detriment of the majority, precisely those whom they had promised to uplift. That is the tragedy.

Charles-P
    Participant

Many years ago a former girlfriend of mine had a number of “right on” friends who were more than happy to tell me that my family were “Colonial oppressors” and “land thieves”. When I (repeatedly) pointed out that my family had stolen no land, indeed my great grandfather had cut a farm out of uninhabited bush and then provided not only employment but also education and medical facilities to his workers not to mention accommodation and pensions to retired staff I was still told that I had “blood on my hands”. In the UK where one of my daughters is studying she was told that slavery in Africa started with the arrival of the White man, when she pointed out that African slavery pre-dated Colonialism by hundreds if not thousands of years she was told her comments were “deliberately provocative and unacceptable”. She later received a letter from her tutor asking her to “reconsider” her views on Africa.

capetonianm
    Participant

Charles, sadly it will never be possible to convince the ‘liberals’ and lefties of the world of the error of their visions. One can only hope that they grow out of it. Many do, and some continue with their blinkered and self-righteous approach until they draw their last breath. The most vociferous are often those who have never even set foot in Africa, or as is the case with an acquaintance of mine, she knows all about Africa because she has been to Morocco on a one week package holiday.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘capetonianm’ sadly you are probably right.

On a happier note the next stage of our adventure continues this evening with dinner at the Tintagel on the recommendation of my wife’s friend Sri Lankan based Belgian artist Saskia Pintelon who produced much of the artwork there.

Inthesandpit
    Participant

Charles-P, I still refer to Zimbabwe as Rhodesia as my father did, having grown up in the 60s the country names as then got lodged in my brain from Geography, the same with Airport names. I cannot get my head around some of the airports with famous celebrities names, LPL will always be Speke, MME Middleton St George (I grew up there), BHD Belfast harbor etc etc. My father always called India ‘The jewel in the crown’ it still sticks with me to this day of course I do not use it, and of course I delight in calling Trump land ‘the former Virginia Colonies’. It is not at all racist, colonial or insulting but just a throw back from the era I grew up in and a warped sense of humour.

Inthesandpit
    Participant

Here in the sandpit in the industry I work in I work with a lot of SAFFAS who were compelled to leave SA when many industries sought to replace manager and supervisory roles with employees of non European extraction. Some have been here over 25 years, one guy can trace his family back to the first Portuguese settlers in the Cape, he often recounts family history that has been passed down that there were no indigenous peoples living in the cape at the time of the first Europeans and in fact those that claim to be indigenous actually came south from Central Africa.This has been born out by studies conducted at the University of Manchester about the movement of indigenous peoples in Africa after the settlement of Europeans. Some theories state that if there were indigenous tribes in the cape they would have been more anthromorphically similar to aboriginal peoples.

Charles-P
    Participant

Restaurant review – Tintagel

We discovered on arrival that the restaurant had once been visited by the Prince of Wales and was the former home of the resident British Governor so we felt our choice had been a good one.

We were greeted warmly and offered a glass of Champagne as soon as we sat down by our waitress. The building is very beautiful and we were given a tour to view the various rooms. The menu is of a European style but with one or two Asian touches, I had the pork belly which was well seasoned and cooked while my wife had a Tandoori chicken which she described as moist and full of flavour. As might be expected the service is discreet and elegant although it was very slow. The final price was rather high or what we had and on balance we would probably not return although we enjoyed the evening.
    Today we are spending the day by the pool before we pack and move on to Vietnam tomorrow with Singapore Airlines.

Inquisitive
    Participant

SQ regional business class seats are old design 2-2-2 configuration, deemed lie flat but not very comfortable to sleep.
    I think there is only one night flight from Colombo. But business class service is top notch and IFE selection is good although the screen is small compared to new business class design.
    So it is better to enjoy the service with champagne and good food and just dose off for a while in recline mode. It is very short journey.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Sorry missed the main question. 14A/B is good, row 12 also good.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 121 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls