Well Done LGW

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

A couple of weeks ago, there was some scathing comment about Gatwick’s snow problems.

This time around, lessons seems to have been learned and implemented, with the result that the airport was more resilient following the big snowfall on Saturday.

I would like to say ‘well done’ to the management and workers at Gatwick.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Gawick now shut.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

But I notice they forecast opening at 0600 tomorrow.

I can understand snow closures, can happen at many airports, what counts is how resilient the airport is afterwards.

Potakas
    Participant

I would like also to say that Edi airport is open and i just landed there, the snow that the airport had was much more than the one they had the two weeks ago, although they manage to shut down only for 5-6 hours.

I think that the only problem that the UK airports have during such a weather is the lack of experience and nothing more.

CMoir12
    Participant

What LGW forgot to mention when they said that the airport was ‘open’ was that there was severe restrictions on take-offs and landings!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

CMoir

The point is, 2 weeks ago, there were no take offs or landing for a rather extended period!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Latest from Gatwick…

Gatwick Airport: Runway closed until 06:00, Tuesday 21 December

Due to heavy snow at Gatwick the runway has been closed for snow clearance activities and no flights will leave Gatwick until 06:00 at the earliest.

5cm of snow has fallen at Gatwick in the past hour and more is forecast.

To ensure it is safe for aircraft to land and take off our 150-strong airfield team are now clearing the snow from the runway and de-icing it to ensure it can be safely reopened.

We are advising passengers already at the airport, and whose flights have been confirmed as cancelled, to make their way home, if at all possible.

If they have no option but to remain at the airport our staff are on hand to provide information, advise and support to make them as comfortable as possible

Our priority tonight is to ensure passengers currently at the airport receive the best possible care.

Passengers planning to travel through Gatwick tomorrow, and for the rest of this week, should check the flight status on their airline’s website first and only make their way to the airport if their flight has been confirmed.

Flight information is also available on our website at http://www.gatwickairport.com and we’ll provide regular updates on Twitter @Gatwick_Airport.

The road and rail networks remain impacted by the weather conditions so passengers should also check with transport operators before planning their journey to the airport.

Facts & figures

Today, 722 flights were scheduled to fly into and out of Gatwick carrying in the region of 80,000 passengers

Over 500 inbound and outbound flights have been handled today, carrying in the region of 60,000

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls