Weekend in Tokyo – suggestions

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Thanks tonce everyone for these great suggestions. Much appreciated.
    ST

Krsnp
    Participant

Hello,

I know that you’ve got plenty of things to do in Tokyo on your plate. However, if you do have the time, I would heartily recommend you to have lunch at Ukai Restaurant (the full name is Tokyo Shiba Tofuya Ukai), not far from the Tokyo Tower. I was invited by a family friend recently and was extremely wowed. As the name suggests, they specialize in tofu dishes (“tofuya” means “tofu house/shop”) and have several set menu options to choose from. Some people may not be prepared to pay premium for tofu dishes, but I would argue that it’s not just about the food (which was invariably very good and beautifully presented with Japanese precision). The restaurant occupies an old-style traditional building and has its own (gorgeous) Japanese garden. We had a traditional tatami room for the four of us with views over the aforementioned garden, and the service was just magnificent. Not sure if they cater for foreigners equally well, though, as all of us spoke Japanese.

More details here: http://www.ukai.co.jp/english/shiba/

I can also recommend a side day trip to either Kamakura, Ashi Lake & onsen/hot spring experience in Hakone, or Nikko. The Asakusa/Sensoji Temple would also be a good place for a more typical Japanese must-see experience.

Wishing you a wonderful trip ahead!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Currently sitting in our offices in Seoul, overlooking the brand new 123 Tower (Lotte) after spending a very enjoyable weekend on Tokyo.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions.

I did an organised day tour on Saturday (temples, shrines, gardens etc) which was great (although the advertised cruise around Tokyo bay was poor in comparison) also did the famous ‘crossing’ which really has to be seen, and then up the Tokyo tower for some amazing views.

Thoroughly enjoyed a Japanese craft beer brewpub at T.Y. Harbour Friday evening and generally enjoyed the total experience in this city.
    Perhaps the most enjoyable country I’ve visited – clean, tidy, well ordered and politeness taken as an art form – queuing for trains and flight boarding, well mannered and respectful.

Incredible clear blue skies not seen anywhere else.

I would really like to see more on my next visit.

Home to the UK on Friday & a quick turnaround to India on Monday……

thecartoonman
    Participant

Glad you had a great time, Tokyo is an amazing city and Japan a fantastic country.

On a previous visit, we purchased a Japan Rail Pass and used the Bullet Train to go to Kyoto and then on to Hiroshima and the Peace Park, on one of the those ‘incredible blue sky days’ which made the whole experience so humbling, they have a fantastic memorial museum there which was very well done.

Japan has so much to offer and the politeness of the people and the well ordered nature of the country is a joy and makes you wonder what they think of London and the UK when they arrive here?

India will be a little different methinks 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls