Weekend in Tokyo – suggestions

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I’ve an upcoming business trip taking in Seoul and Tokyo with a weekend day spent in each place.

Having never spent any time in either place and as usual, travelling alone, are there any sightseeing opportunities that forum members can recommend for example, a bus tour etc.

Also any hints and tips on both places (culture, business, do’s and don’t) would be very much appreciated.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Re the Tokoyo part, Kamakura is a nice day out, here’s the company my wife and I used for it

https://www.viator.com/Tokyo/d334-ttd?pref=02

Some of the Tokyo activities are also worth looking at, the electric area is cool and there are some lovely parks, too.

Never been to Seoul, unfortunately.

Re business culture, this website seems on the ball to me and I hope it helps you

https://www.venturejapan.com/japanese-business-culture.htm

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

FDOS.

Thank you….appreciated.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

You’re very welcome, I hope you enjoy Tokyo.

I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting and would love to return, one day.

1nfrequent
    Participant

It’s a bit cheesy but I really enjoyed the Skytree Tower when I went to Tokyo – there’s an observation level with great views over the city and there are shops where it’s kinda fun to people watch normal people going about their business. Also fascinating is to go to the main Tokyo train station to see the cleaning of the bullet trains – hear me out because I know it sounds weird – but the whole thing has a ritual to it and they are phenomenal – do the whole train in about 10 minutes and it’s spotless.

If you’re into robots and tech, then the Miraikan National Museum of Science and Innovation (which is accessible by metro) had a really good robotics section featuring Asimo (the robot developed by Honda) – the displays are at certain times so check the museum website for the schedule. Entry price is pretty cheap too and I found it all absolutely fascinating.

I’d also recommend a stroll around Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden – again easy to get to by Tube and very peaceful. I did Shibuya crossing as well but to be honest I found it a bit dull (although it is big for tourists and may be worth crossing off). If you’re a theme park fan then Tokyo Disney may be worth a day trip but I’d do DisneySea rather than the Disneyland Park because it’s got different theming to the US parks. It is pricey though and packed on weekends.

Regarding hints and tips – don’t tip for service, it’s regarded as an insult. I did make a point of thanking a manager or waiting staff for the performance of their team (which seemed to go down well).

Food wise your concierge should be able to suggest somewhere if you want a specific rec but I took potluck on ramen bars (anywhere with locals in it) and didn’t have a bad meal (they all have picture menus so you can just point at what you want).

Hope you have a wonderful time whatever you decide to do. I’m feeling quite envious right now.

1F

BugAdvisor
    Participant

I’d visit the Tsukiji Fish Market. Here’s the review I wrote on my blog:

Tsukiji Market (築地市場, Tsukiji Shijō) is a large wholesale market for fish, fruits and vegetables in central Tokyo. It is the most famous of over ten wholesale markets that handle the distribution of food and flowers in Tokyo. Tsukiji Market is best known as one of the world’s largest fish markets, handling over 2,000 tons of marine products per day.

There a nice 24-hour timeline of the market activities here:
    http://www.tsukiji-market.or.jp/youkoso/24hour_e/24hours.htm

The market has become a tourist attraction and rules have been put into place so that tourists don’t interfere with the day-to-day operation. Those who want to see the tuna auction have to apply at the Osakana Fukyu Center (Fish Information Centre) starting from 5:00am on a first-come, first-serve basis. Only 120 are allowed in and apparently many are turned away.

The idea of getting up so early to queue to watch a tuna auction really didn’t appeal. The next option is to visit the wholesale area after 10am – this is where fish bought in the auction is sold to, what I’d guess are shops and restaurant buyers.

I can imagine the people who work there are thoroughly fed up with tourists getting in the way while they try and make a living.

We visited just before lunchtime, when the wholesalers had sold their fish. The streets around the market were still pretty crowded, mainly because the area is surrounded by restaurants, street food stalls and shops selling sushi, sashimi and everything fish related:

We headed into the wholesale area – even at this time, there’s plenty of activity, with mini-trucks rushing around. If you want to see lots of fish then visit just after 10am!

We found a great little restaurant with a point to order menu.The sushi was probably the best I’ve ever tasted – not surprising really as it was fresh that morning and didn’t have far to travel.

If you are in Tokyo, then I’d definitely recommend a visit, although for me the highlight was the food rather than wandering around the wholesale market itself.

The Tsukiji Fish Market

5 Chome-2-1 Tsukiji, Chuo, Tokyo 104-0045, Japan

BugAdvisor
    Participant

For Seoul, where it will be freezing this time of year, I’d recommend wandering through the underground labyrinth of shops and restaurants. You can walk for ages underground and pick up some interesting food along the way.
    In my experience, the taxis have no idea where they are going – even if you have your hotel’s business card to show them. It’s also a long way from the airport into Seoul, although there is a train and I think you can check in and drop bags at the train departure terminal when returning.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

If you want an immersive experience of a family run Kobe beef steakhouse I couldn’t recommend Hakushu Teppanyaki enough! (https://goo.gl/maps/tnm8YDhYiRr) 3 generations of the same family run the restaurant – grandfather cuts the beef, grandmother cooks it right in front of you. Children and grandchildren serve drinks etc. Only issue is that it is small and very popular. I was visiting a friend in Tokyo and we tried to contact the restaurant for 5 hours to make a booking without success. We decided to try our luck and arrived 10-15 minutes before it opened and managed to get a table. Quite pricey but in terms of quality and service, I don’t think I have ever had better – the steak just melts in your mouth!

Whilst in Shibuya it is always great to spend time in Starbucks, overlooking Shibuya crossing as the people and vehicles move around like ants a couple of storeys below. Again, it’s very popular so it can take some time to get a window seat!

Hope this proves useful

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Sincere thanks folks. Travelling alone isn’t always condusive to sightseeing as I’m sure we can agree. However, I will take these thoughts on board and try not to simply stagnate in a hotel room (which I normally do).
    Cheers chaps.
    ST

thecartoonman
    Participant

Tokyo is a great place to spend even a day, as you can see quite a lot in a short space of time, particularly if you are on your own and therefore not held back by others wanting to see other things.

Get a good walking map of the central area.

I would recommend you visit the Meiji Shrine in Shibuya, it’s very easy to locate and a short walk leads you to a central area where at weekends you will almost certainly see a traditional Japanese wedding ceremony with the bride in full dress.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3002.html

On exiting the park you will be very close to Takeshita Street which leads you into Harajuku, this is where you can see the Harajuku girls, basically young Japanese girls dressed in the most weird outfits with brightly coloured hair and many shops to cater for their needs, it is worth a look as you will be so close.

On exiting Takesita Street turn right and head for the main crossroads and the start of Omotesando. If you walk down here, keep on the right hand side as there is a great shop ‘Oriental Bazaar’ it’s been here for ages and sells lovely Japanese gifts from small items up to full kimonos and some of the ladies have been here for years and everything is perfectly wrapped.
    http://www.orientalbazaar.co.jp/en/index.html

At the bottom of Omotesando turn right and head down Aoyami Dori which will lead you back to Shibuya Crossing and as has been said, it’s very cheesy but to sit in the Starbucks and watch the people using the crossings is worth a coffee.

This may take about 3/4 hours depending on what is going on at the Meiji Shrine, but if it is one of those lovely clear Tokyo days, then it will allow you to see the amazing contrasts of this great city – enjoy.

Iceman2013
    Participant

Hi, hope you make the most of it – All i can say is i am jealous – 🙂

Stratocruiser
    Participant

Hi,
    I spent several happy business trips based at the Hilton in Shinjuku.
    Within walking distance of there were Yoyogi Park / Meiji Shrine (excellent for a peaceful stroll on a nice day) and the Japanese Sword Museum in Shibuya.
    This sounds like a barrel of fun, I know, but I was very impressed by the unbelievable level of workmanship from so far back in history. Worth an hour or two if you’re in the area .
    At the other extreme is the area called Akihabara, where many an hour was spent browsing the latest electronic gadgets, mobile phones and cameras.
    Now reduced from its prime (who buys walkmans nowadays ?) but still worth a look, as tax free deals are still to be had for foreign visitors.
    I’ve always loved Tokyo, and its inhabitants’ politeness.
    By the way, if you should feel woozy or light headed in the Hotel, it’s probably a minor earthquake – they have dozens of them a year !
    Enjoy.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Just buy a one station ticket on the circular Yamanote line and ride around Tokyo the long way.
    It’s all above ground, providing good views of much of the central city, and provides an insight into the admirable and unequaled efficiency, order and politeness of Japanese urban life.
    Not to mention how to run a railway. Impeccable precision even DB would be unable to replicate.
    Takes about an hour.

Bob19
    Participant

It may be cold (to very cold) in Seoul this time of year, but you should have very clear skies, so I would highly recommend making the climb of mount Namsan & going up the N Tower for the 360° view of the city. It’s bewildering!

Next to this, the Gyeongbokgung Palace is worth a visit. The change of the Royal Guard is taking place a few times a day, a surprising traditional Korean ceremony! The one museum I would recommend visiting is the National War Museum, retracing the history of the country and with an entire section dedicated to the conflict between the North & the South! This leads me to the DMZ (the Demilitarized zone), about one hour drive from Seoul. If you’re limited in time, I wouldn’t bother, and visiting the DMZ must anyhow be booked in advance. Found the tour disappointing.

For eating/shopping, there is no real city centre in Seoul, as the city grew & expanded from every side. If you’re interested in Korean arts & crafts, you should take a stroll down Insa-dong street, near the Palace! Popular shopping areas are the huge malls (Lotte World Mall, COEX…), Myeong-dong (luxury brands), the up and coming Gangnam area (located on the other side of the Han river), and Itae-won (popular with expats), to name but a few.

The excellent subway system is the easiest & fastest way of getting around in Seoul; buy a T-money card and refill as you go… There are numerous free Apps to plan your journeys.

For Tokyo, I see you had a lot of reactions, so I won’t add my 2 cents!

SenatorGold
    Participant

In Tokyo I can recommend a stroll around the Meguro district – there are many nice cafes and shops lining the canal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls