Weather Chaos – at least in Scotland

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

Sitting here in the Lounge in Glasgow, still waiting for the 07.00 flight to depart, delayed (along with all other BA and other flights) because of the high winds. Problem appears to be to do with safety issues on the ramp and air bridges rather than with take-off/ landing issues etc. Staff in the lounge are fantastic, good natured, helpful as are (most) passengers!

Trains hardly seem any better – my son is on the 06.10 Edinburgh – Kings X service which is trundling south at less that 50 mph and he’s the lucky one – many other services have been cancelled!!

It is days like this when lounge access comes into its own – not withstanding price and other factors, I am glad I am not on an EZY or BE flight today!!

canucklad
    Participant

A wee update.

All Scotrail services cancelled and Central station closed due to damage

And tragically someone has died in a traffic accident, due to be blown over not to far from my work.

And Transport Scotland has escalated its travel warning to stage four red, advising people to avoid travelling.

TominScotland
    Participant

Further update. Flights now moving ex Glasgow. Lounge staff continue to be ace!!

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

I had an entertaining journey to work this morning sitting in the traffic near Aberdeen airport. First Easyjet from Gatwick aborted a landing late – quite right because he was pretty wobbly – and them a KLM Embraer almost touched down and aborted as well. Flybe succesfully landed just after that, then Easyjet had another go at it and gave up earlier this time and headed off elsewhere.

Swindoneric
    Participant

According to the T5 lounge staff the weather is moving this way but I’m hoping to get back to Edinburgh a mere 45 minutes or so behind schedule..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Reports also coming in of wind damage in Yorkshire. East Coast mainline badly disrupted. No trains to or from Leeds. Problems at Doncaster.

conshaldow
    Participant

The whole of Scotland seemed to take a beating this morning. When mother nature takes over in this way all we can really do is sit tight and wait for it to pass.

Shame about the lorry driver who died this morning, thoughts with anyone affected.

conshaldow
    Participant

On a more lighter note I was on the phone to a colleague who was travelling from NCL to GLA by train this morning and when arriving at Berwick-Upon-Tweed was told “Scotland is closed today, you’re not getting in”.

Resulted in twice having to go over the viaduct at Berwick and being told only to leave the train at your own risk… Crazy days.

Pierre
    Participant

This storm is now over Denmark up to Southern Sweden.

Swindoneric
    Participant

I got home to Edinburgh safely with a one hour delay. I thought that BA did well today. Galleries North was heaving – as one would expect – but everything looked spick and span and what I ate was presented more than adequately. I also witnessed some ridiculous behaviour by fellow passengers handled well by the crew on both flights.

BA4ever
    Participant

Glad you’re enjoying our former weather. We had deaths, injuries, closed roads and lots of cancelled flights and ferry departures. It was really scary! Please be careful, wherever you all are!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls