Weather causes disruption

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

There are some significant delays across the rail network today, including on routes to Gatwick Airport.

Fallen trees have affected many lines, and also a tent which blew onto the line at Wembley Central.

This video shows a tree causing problems

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Service alteration details

“Severe weather is affecting services across the Southern network.
    Train services running across the whole Southern network may be cancelled, delayed by up to 35 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
    Please use the National Rail Enquiries real-time Journey Planner to check your journey before you travel.
    Customer Advice:
    Severe weather across the Southeast of England is forecasted for today.

Weather forecasters have predicted strong winds between 30-55mph and heavy rain from 07:00 until the end of service today.

Earlier incidents that are currently impacting Thameslink, Gatwick Express and Southern services:

An earlier fallen tree on the line between Sydenham and Crystal Palace.
      An earlier fallen tree on the line in the Brockley area
      An earlier points failure meant trains were unable to run between Balham and Streatham Common.
      An earlier power surge in the south London area caused trains to halt briefly outside stations.
      An earlier tree on the line at Thornton Heath.”

capetonianm
    Participant

I was lucky as my journey to LGW yesterday from Weybridge via Guildford was as smooth as silk.

I must write to National Rail and GWR as they continue selling first class tickets for a route on which there is no first, namely the Reading-Gatwick service which I use between Guildford and Gatwick. The difference between first (£30.10) and second (£15.40) for a one way journey is significant, particularly as the trains are often very crowded and lack adequate space for luggage.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

There is so much rain in north London, surprised the fire lasted more than a few minutes…

capetonianm
    Participant

On the other side of the world, CPT is expecting a big storm tomorrow. Hopefully it will bring some relief to the terrible water shortage, sadly it will also bring its hardship, specially to the less privileged.

K1ngston
    Participant

And in Singapore, the breeze has the palm trees in my garden gently swaying ….. Damn the tropics!

esselle
    Participant

First 5 minutes climb out from Manchester this morning was very bumpy. Captain announced it would be uncomfortable for those who don’t like turbulence but disappointing for those that like rollercoasters!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

A lot of bad weather in the north eastern US and Florida – lots of flight delays with lightning already causing delays here in Ft Lauderdale

capetonianm
    Participant

We were advised from the cockpit yesterday before departure from LGW to expect some turbulence on climb-out. As I like rollercoasters I was disappointed with just a few light bumps but the poor girl sitting next to me was absolutely terrified and was in tears most of the way, convinced that the aircraft was going to ‘tip over’ in the wind.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls