Walsh the cynicist….!

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

Openfly – “A person who is cynical, or affected by cynisism…..whatever WW is!!”

A cynic, I think you mean?

canucklad
    Participant

The fuel surcharge amongst all of the other add on charges, is to the mass majority of infrequent flyers probably missed, unless you look for it. Plus a lot of BA’s traffic is transit fares , ex-europe, where again ironically, the whole fare is cheaper. WW knows this and just as importantly, so do his marketing team.

What surprises me about his attitude to the whole APD, isn’t necessarily his hypocrisy, more his lame duck tactics. I don’t particularly want to know about the damage APD has on local economies, because frankly the people living in an airports wider economic zone, probably see it as a pest to be used as an occasional convenience rather than a generator of wealth.

WW should hand over the mantle of ditch APD to his countryman…..and then let him positively cite as evidence a case study. And although a small airport the removal of its tax, has allowed this little bit of Ireland to flourish, so once again. I give you Shannon and its impact. on south western Ireland.

BigDog.
    Participant

A good set of results by BA this quarter benefiting from US and UK economies so one hopes the fuel surcharge is lowered significantly or removed.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-10-31/british-airways-owner-iag-boosts-earnings-30-percent-on-spanish-cuts

nibbler
    Participant

BA likely doesn’t immediately benefit from falling fuel prices. I don’t know their fuel hedge and its likely a significant trade secret; but I’m going to assume its weighted towards the general trend of rising oil prices so covering most of their fuel use. So they are likely overpaying for fuel at the moment compared to the market rate until the hedge rolls out and they negotiate on the current price.

SimonS1
    Participant

Fuel costs down 7.5% year on year according to today’s results.

Senator
    Participant

I think the only thing that is unfair with this thread is to single out BA and Walsh. I understand that he is hot on the topic of APD. However, it is not like the Lufthansa Group and the AF/KLM Groups is quickly running to drop the fuel surcharges.

Also, I want to add to the list SAS EuroBonus who do not levy a fuel surcharge on their own award redemption. They do however, levy when mandated by other operating carriers like Lufthansa when points are used on Lufthansa flights.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls