Waldorf Astoria New York

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

AspirationalFlyer
    Participant

Sorry if this topic has been discussed recently, but has anyone else stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in New York in the las ew months and been disappointed?

I stayed for three nights in the last week and (amongst other things) experienced surly staff, a huge queue to check-in and rooms that are in desperate need of renovation. I understand from one person I spoke to that a significant amount of money has been recently spent on renovation but I think that must have gone on the exterior than interior! Does anyone else agree or have a different view?

Hello. I apologize in advance for not being able to help you out, but I can’t help but comment on the Waldorf. When I read your post it brought back fond memories of staying there with my family in the summer of 1989. My mother had stayed there twenty-five years prior to that! I think that we were in unit 1789 (I haven’t got a clue as to how I remember that). It was what they probably call a ‘junior suite’. What impressed me the most about our unit was having a large bathroom window that opened! I remember our entire stay as being excellent, but of course I wasn’t as particular at that age (not yet a high school graduate).

My understanding (from friends and associates) in recent years has been that it does need a refurbishment. In my uninformed opinion (usually I travel to New York only for day trips from Toronto) it seems that there are much better options in midtown at that price point.

Sorry to hear your stay was underwhelming. Perhaps most of the money was spent on the Waldorf Towers??? Just a thought.

Well, enough from me! Best wishes, and have a great summer.

CT

Goldcardsaplenty
    Participant

The Waldorf Astoria is not the best hotel in NY but is certainly one of the most charismatic. I try and stay there every year just to soak up the atmosphere, particularly at Christmas.

It is true that some of the rooms are tired and the plumbing can be temperamental but after traveling and staying in characterless ‘Business’ hotels throughout the year (why do so many designers use so much glass?) I look forward to my trips to the Waldorf.

If I were to recommend somewhere in NY for a frantic business trip it would not be the Waldorf but for an interesting stay, evocative of bygone times, I would. Take the tour on a Thursday morning and see behind the scenes to get a sense of the history of the place. Treat yourself to Sunday Brunch in Peacock Alley and watch the constant hubbub of activity in reception – you cannot help but think of Sinatra, Monroe and a myriad of Presidents walking through this area.

Queues at check in? Yes. Some surly staff? Yes. Rooms in need of renovation? Yes. But come on, this is true of almost any hotel in NY.
    We should also be aware that a building as massive, and as old, as the Waldorf will absorb millions in renovation on an annual basis and still need more.

Hotels like the Waldorf Astoria will not be there for much longer, let’s enjoy them while they are. There are plenty of glass fronted, sterile, efficient alternatives that are more suited to the business traveller, myself included, and I am sure there will be a lot of advice on which these are and where they can be found.

All I can say is that I am looking forward to taking my wife back to the Waldorf Astoria for a few days before Christmas again this year!

SwissExPat
    Participant

We stayed there last year. Glad to have stayed there once but would not return.

Only hotel ever where I actually had to ask a staff member to leave my room, twice.

As a diamond Hilton member, being given an $8 voucher for Starbucks rather than a hotel breakfast which I get in all other hilton group hotels was the last straw.

AspirationalFlyer
    Participant

Agreed regarding the breakfast. At check-in I was offered a code for use of the Internet (although the Internet is obviously accessible for free using your HHonors code and PIN if you are a gold or diamond member anyway) and was given two drinks vouchers for a value of up to USD 20 each. I asked about a complementary breakfast but was told this was not offered at this Hilton Group property and that the Starbucks voucher benefit had stopped – the check-in agent remarked that he was embarrassed by this but could recommend some local places for breakfast!

It was not all bad: my complementary champagne (which was part of a package I had booked through BA) arrived within the hour, the housekeeping supervisor paid me a visit within about 10 minutes or arrival to make sure I was happy with the room and I really enjoyed the New York strip steak at the Bull and Bear steakhouse. I enjoyed looking at the various artwork in the hotel – for example, my floor (7th) contains photographic prints of visits to the WA by Ronald Reagan and Elizabeth Taylor.

My travelling companion was given a complementary upgrade and the view of the Chrysler Building was amazing and a great New York experience. Maybe my expectations were set too high – my only recommendation would be to only stay there if you are travelling on a special offer and get a really good price.

Regarding the bar, my recommendation would be Bull and Bear over Peacock Alley – I used both during my stay and generally found the staff to be more engaging and attentive at the former, however, this is obviously just my opinion based on a three day stay.

Senator
    Participant

I try to visit the Waldorf at least once a year. Whilst the rooms are a bit long-in-the-tooth, the recent refurbishment of the Park Ave entrance looks splendid. It has been restored to its original layout and look.

I’ve been a Diamond VIP with HH since 2005, and the on-premises benefits have clearly diminished over the years. I do have a standing arrangement with the Diamond Reception and am always taken care off very well. One recommendation is to book a room on the Concierge level which will give access to the “smallish” Executive Lounge. When I have looked, rooms tend to be about $40-60 more a night.

For me, the location is ideal for NYC visits and as Goldcardsaplenty, I find this to be a lovely break from my usual glass, steel, concrete hotels I use around the world.

rferguson
    Participant

I had a long weekend in NYC in April and we divided our time between the Barclay Intercontinental and the Waldorf Astoria (they are literally across the road from each other).

First, I think it’s worth mentioning that while the WA may not be what it once was, neither are it’s prices. I scored an amazing rate of US$219 per night which was on par with some of the Holiday Inn’s etc in Manhattan.

I must say my expectations from the WA were not that high. I was expecting a faded princess with grand public areas and somewhat neglected beyond that. How wrong I was. I loved my stay. I didn’t encounter any significant lines or crowds (except for the hotel bar in the evening). Everything from the elevators to the corridors were maintained to a very high standard with that type of carpet so thick you almost bounce off. I found attention to detail very high.

I have Hilton Gold status and was upgraded to a beautiful HUGE corner room. Yes, decor was very ‘traditional’ and may not be to everyones taste. Yet all the mod cons were there (bar Tea/Coffee facilities – a pet hate) and I found service to be good. None of this vile OTT lingering for tips and what not.

I really look forward to returning there again.

I cannot say the same for the Intercontinental though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls