W Hotel Istanbul – Pretentiousness as an Art Form, or am I just too Old?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Ardmarnoch
    Participant

I have only stayed at a “W” hotle once (New York City) and had the same feelings about the place as Simon… Never spent a night at one since…. (message sent from J.W. Marriott tonight – same group, much more to my comfort level – maybe I am getting old!)

continentalclub
    Participant

Simon – I love your analogy of the wardrobe and the toilet; it’s brought a smile to my face on an otherwise dreary day!

And fascinating (though not unsurprising) input from others too. Though I’m sure that Starwood would never suggest such a thing, I strongly suspect that sleep is actually not quite such an overriding priority to many of those in the W target audience. From what I can gather, it seems rather more about partying and crashing than relaxation and slumber.

Even the Maldives outpost is noted for it’s pervasive music, up to and including along the ocean boardwalks.

I’m also interested in your mentioning of The Trafalgar, Simon. Although I can see that it’s certainly more ‘contemporary’ than a Four Seasons, I once again wouldn’t compare it with a W. I find it light and airy, but cold and a bit soulless. In general, that’s the opposite of what W aims for; the latter being – as you suggest – if anything rather dark and oppressive. Starwood PRs would use different adjectives I’m sure, but there again I am settling down to a mug of cocoa……

Commercially, I like the idea that Starwood are making a success of W, and I appreciate that they would never ever suggest that the guest rooms and the time spent within them are not a priority, but the fact is that, fundamentally, the guiding principle is ‘nightclub with rooms’.

The problem seems to be that some of their marketing is so successful, and many of us are so aware of what Starwood do in their other chains, that we can miss that basic proposition and we assume ‘funky Westin’. By contrast, I bet that the vast majority of W customers (remember, their target includes local drinkers and diners, not just in-house residents) have no idea that the chain is owned by the folks behind Sheraton, if they’ve even heard of Sheraton. Beyond SPG, I also suspect that that’s exactly what Starwood want them to think.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

RBrown9’s recollection of the W Times Square in NYC brought back an entertaining memory. I stayed there many years ago and was distinctly unimpressed – everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in the room was beige. Walls, ceiling, carpet, bed, furniture, even the artwork was beige. I had just arrived after a long flight, was tired and wanted a bath. No bath, just a (very poky) wetroom. Ugh. Anyway, I called my wife to tell her I had arrived safely and was leafing through the room service menu as I was doing so. Suffice it to say that when I got to the dessert section I rather lost the train of the phone conversation and ended up guffawing helplessly, and it took me several attempts to read out to my wife the final item on the dessert menu, which was (from memory) strawberries, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, a plastic sheet and two condoms (!!)

What CAN I say???

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Oooh Ian :O) i didnt think you would have it in you!!! I would however like to think you and the “memsaab” had a very happy and eventful stay!!! lol 😉 xxx

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

Just back from IST and stayed at the Four Seasons – the one in the old town. A relatively small hotel that once was the prison, and so its location is right beside for all the tourist things you need to see, and their excellent tram service. Recommend.
    Conservative style and quality. Surprising quiet location, especially if you have a room overlooking the courtyard. Unexciting breakfast, probably due to the smaller size. Pleasant roof terrace and bar overlooking Aya Sofya, the Blue Mosque, and an archaeological dig. Can recommend their apple tea.
    Fir business it must be better staying at the other 4 seasons on the north side of the Golden Horn that is truly beautiful with it setting right on the Bosporus and it convenience for the business area and again the tram .

RBrown9
    Participant

Well the W Singapore in Sentosa was equally interesting. We checked in for a four day stay on the 6 th of October. Arrived at 1.30 and no room ready. They did not offer any complimentary refreshments whilst we waited. Eventually got told we had been “upgraded” to a marvellous suite to which I advised them “this is the room booked that we are paying for”. Checkin took half an hour. The special booked included a bottle of Verve Cliquot on arrival, 2 vouchers for “Signature” cocktails in the Woo Bar and breakfast for two. We were told that there was no menu for ” vouchers” and a voucher covered one beer,house wine, a water, a soft drink or a single shot of spirits. When I donated my voucher to my partner who wanted two cocktails, they insisted that his double vodka ordered was two vouchers. Hardly “Signature” cocktails! Went back to the room and found they had placed Chandon Brut Australian sparkling wine rather than the Verve Cliquot promised. When my my partner complained, the trainee said she was sure the service would improve in a couple of months. We decided to leave the next day. They were insisting on charging for the entire room service breakfast rather than the tray charge only (when breakfast included in rate). However, at this stage a very helpful member of their team (the only one encountered) insisted it was on the house. I had spoken to the GM day before who was dismissive of the issues encountered and gave me the impression he did not understand the fundamentals that guests expect ina 5 star hotel, even if it is a W. When I tried to checkout at the SPG desk I was told by a trainee that it was not in use so had to wait. And baggage delivery took over thirty minutes. At over US$650 per night, I felt cheated as this has to be the poorest hotel I have ever stayed in. This reminds me if a stay earlier this year at the W Doha. Not good either. Seems like W is becoming a pretentious chain with absolutely no substance or service to support their brand which was once good.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls