Vueling to expand at Edinburgh

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The news has hardly been reported at all south of the border …

But next year sees Vueling expand at Edinburgh with the addition of three new routes: Paris Orly, Rome Fiumicino and Alicante.

The first two destinations will be of interest to business people. But bear in mind that flight frequency (to each destination) is limited to x3 a week.

It would appear that IAG is using low-cost Vueling to launch international services from the UK regions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34542037

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks, Alex

It seems that they are copying the LH model in this and that is good news for Scotland. These flights will also attract (some) Avios and tier points, I think i am right in saying.

SimonS1
    Participant

You can only earn Avios/TPs if it’s a BA codeshare.

openfly
    Participant

With IAG Spanish carrier opening new routes such as these, it can only be a matter of time before we see them as “New BA” gradually taking over the legacy BA routes at Gatwick.

TominScotland
    Participant

openfly +1

Probably makes sense, too, given the success that Easyjet have from their Gatwick base. Seems to be what the punters want!!

openfly
    Participant

TominScotland……Easyjet as a success everywhere! Totally agree.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Openfly & Tom
    I’ll add to your point about LGW. I firmly believe there is a long term strategy at Waterside to gradually and quietly, almost covertly get rid of their short haul operation altogether..
    In doing so, they will further reduce costs, such as catering, airport fees like paying for jet ways etc., But the biggest saving will be found, as always by steadily and progressively reducing their current short haul workforce. With each route switch from BA to Vueling they increase their crew flexibility by having LCC crew contracts.

As an added bonus, they increase the value of the Avios programme, simply by reducing the circulation, caused by the increasing ineligibility of flights. Similar to how BD managed their DC with BMI Baby.

My prediction, The next BA route swap to Vueling will be a seemingly insignificant LHR T3 flight to a regional Spanish destination. And since Bilbao is the only Spanish destination I’ll predict that one.
    The next step I’d take is to creep in Vuelling aircraft to operate some of the IB flights at T5, beginning with the flights that aren’t as business heavy, but finally Vuelling will become the norm, and we won’t take a second thought…….then it’ll be BA flights to secondary European cities, until finally it’ll be a Vueling Airbus on the EDI –LHR route .

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Vueling already operates a seasonal BA LGW route to Florence

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/fx/public/en_gb?eId=111011&timestamp=1019090055

TominScotland
    Participant

Given discussions elsewhere about possible feeder links between FR to IAG (BA and EI) and EZY to LH, making more use of their own LCC would seem to be a very logical step for IAG.

canucklad
    Participant

I suspect, if my prediction comes true, my BAEC account will start to become less and less relevant, as my earning opportunity diminishes, since EDI will ultimately become a non-BA airport.
    Maybe IAG will put the customer first and create their own version of Flying Blue, but I fear they will protect their Avios asset, by not merging Punto and whatever IB’s FF programme is. And of course not forgetting Gold Circle !

transtraxman
    Participant

It seems that Vueling is expanding fast from the British Isles with multi-route flights from Edinburgh, Birmingham, Cardiff, London and now Manchester.

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/vueling-airlines-reveals-two-new-manchester-flights/

The airline already offers flights to Barcelona from the aforementioned airports but also Dublin, Belfast, Leeds, Liverpool and Newcastle.

It looks likely, then, that these airports will also offer flights to Rome, Paris, Alicante and maybe elsewhere in the near future.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls