Vouchers and Refunds

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

• Montysaurus
    Participant

I have just tried to book a flight next March on BA using one of my 4 e-vouchers from flights cancelled earlier this year. The BA app said that one needs to phone BA to rebook but I looked on their website and the option to book using an e-voucher was there. I clicked on it and, as asked, entered my last name and the voucher number. When I clicked on APPLY I got a message saying “check your details and try again”. The details were correct but I kept getting the same message. Has anyone else tried to rebook online using vouchers?

ASK1945
    Participant

I have just tried to book a flight next March on BA using one of my 4 e-vouchers from flights cancelled earlier this year. The BA app said that one needs to phone BA to rebook but I looked on their website and the option to book using an e-voucher was there. I clicked on it and, as asked, entered my last name and the voucher number. When I clicked on APPLY I got a message saying “check your details and try again”. The details were correct but I kept getting the same message. Has anyone else tried to rebook online using vouchers?

I had exactly the same experience yesterday, re-booking, for next April, for a flight to TLV in July, which has been cancelled by BA.

The email is very ambiguous but, having several failed online rebooking attempts, I resorted to phoning. I tried all day, but was thrown off the line every time, until at 5 pm I got through, and then had a 40 minute wait to be connected to a booking agent. He told me that re-booking using an e-voucher has to be done by phone (Doh!) and had been doing this all day.

He did the booking, took my credit card details for the upgrade I made to the outward leg, so that both legs were now in WT Plus, confirmed it had all been successful – then told me that it would be 72 hours before they took the money and sent me an email confirmation.

I have checked my Amex account and no payment is showing either in the main account or as “pending”, so I only have his word that it is all ok.

I despair!

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

Before writing the above message I checked my BA account to ensure that the new bookings were there – they were not.

I have just looked again and they have now appeared, but minus our BA Executive Club numbers. I have added these. They also did not carry our special meal requests, but BA has removed the facility to do this. It is also not posssible to pre-book seats before checkin.

From what the adviser told me, I guessed that everything was being done manually, so this could be the reason for this. I don’t know whether the removal of these facilities is temporary or permanent, during the Covid crisis.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My son is due to fly to TLV in August on BA. If he is offered a voucher in lieu of the flight, does anyone know if the voucher is transferable for his father to use later in the year?

ASK1945
    Participant

My son is due to fly to TLV in August on BA. If he is offered a voucher in lieu of the flight, does anyone know if the voucher is transferable for his father to use later in the year?

Martyn

I think you will need to phone to find out. He can get a cash refund, but (again) only by phone, and a long delay to receive the money. As I wrote, you also have to phone to use a voucher, anyway.

It seems that the only way a re-booking can be done online is if the details of the flights are EXACTLY the same (same destination, timings and cabin) with only the dates changed. The same booking number/code is used and they just transfer it across – so, of course, the passengers names have to be the same.

JohnnyG
    Participant

On Monday I had the email re BA cancelled my flight end of July but nothing mentioned re the return flight a week later.

Do I assume that that is also cancelled or will I have to cancel it myself. 3 seats booked with Avios. Or shall I just wait a while to see what happens.

Almost impossible to get a phone connection. Been on the wait for hours.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

On Monday I had the email re BA cancelled my flight end of July but nothing mentioned re the return flight a week later.

Do I assume that that is also cancelled or will I have to cancel it myself. 3 seats booked with Avios. Or shall I just wait a while to see what happens.

Is it one booking for a return / round trip, or 2 separate bookings? If it is 1 booking then you will be able to re-book or get a voucher / refund for total booking. If it is 2 bookings and only the outbound is cancelled then you are stuffed.

SimonS1
    Participant

Unless on separate tickets (in which case see previous reply) do nothing. BA are implementing rolling cancellations, in a week or so time their systems will catch up and you will see the return cancelled too.

ASK1945
    Participant

JohnnyG wrote: “…………… Almost impossible to get a phone connection. Been on the wait for hours”.

Try after 5 pm. For some reason (perhaps businesses closing) the lines become less busy then.

But, once connected you will wait for a while before an agent answers.

ontherunhome
    Participant

Update on my spat with Lufthansa over non refund of 3 flights. Having drawn a blank trying to call LH, and slow negative email responses, I asked my credit card company for a chargeback. ( MBNA). They refused stating that LH was ok to offer service at a later date and that LH T&C allowed this.I filed a complaint and a strongly worder demand under section 75 for a refund. Today I had a call from refunds dept. stating the intial refusla was wrong, and employee will be re-trained.Secondly i will be awarded £100 compensatuion for the eroor, and finally, a chargeback will be made against Visa/LH for the original tickets approx £340. LH have 45 days to challenge this, and if they do MBNA will section 75 the refund, so looks like a result.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Cruise refund from Carnival received in full, only 4 weeks after cruise was cancelled. Interestingly, despite paying via Amex, to a travel agent, refund came through via cheque direct from Carnival.

ASK1945
    Participant

Cruise refund from Carnival received in full, only 4 weeks after cruise was cancelled. Interestingly, despite paying via Amex, to a travel agent, refund came through via cheque direct from Carnival.

That’s interesting. I have a Celebrity cruise booked for the middle of October. They haven’t cancelled, yet, and are still selling cabins for this particular one. In fact, the cheaper cabins are sold out.

However, the website gives me another four weeks to pay the balance, or cancel without penalty, so I am waiting a bit longer. It will be easier and (presumably) quicker to get my deposit back if they cancel the cruise, than if I do.

simeoncox
    Participant

Having the experience of travelling within Southeast Asia for the SARS and H1N1 outbreaks, I elected for a credit with QANTAS for my future travel out of South Asia. I have been ‘stranded’ in India for four months and all advice suggests that it will remain difficult to redeem my voucher at the value it held at the time. I am in the process of pushing for a refund instead. There needs to be oversight as pointed out, money in limbo assists only the airline(s) involved.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-19/qantas-offers-customers-refunds-for-flight-cancellations/12372888

nevereconomy
    Participant

I called BA the other day, as had taken voucher for one flight but wanted refund for the other. Got through very quickly – wish I could remember the time of day..
    Charming lady took all details and had lovely conversation (which meant someone else got mad waiting!) – it remains to be seen if I get it and how long I have to wait
    for it if I do.

esselle
    Participant

We had booked a cruise from Barcelona with Celebrity for late August 2020, but decided a couple of days before the balance of the invoice was due for payment that we would defer the deposit to a cruise to be taken in 2021; they then cancelled the cruise, so luckily we were not left waiting months for the sizeable payment to be refunded.

We had booked flights MAN-BCA separately with Jet2, and I assumed we would have to claim these back through our travel insurance. However, we got an email from them last week to say the flight was going to be cancelled, offering us various refund/rebook etc options. I asked for a refund, and the full amount has now been refunded to my CC.

Chapeau.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls