Vouchers and Refunds

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

• JMarshall
    Participant

I was due to travel to Seoul in a couple of weeks time, obviously I will not be going!
    British Airways originally advised of refunds on their website, later of course there was only the facility for a voucher to be use within a year.
    I accepted the voucher, however my plans have changed and I can no longer travel within that year and would like a refund, is it possible once accepting a voucher you can change it to a refund? Much as I would like to support BA having £2000.00 in limbo, at this time is pretty frustrating, any ideas?

SimonS1
    Participant

Depends on the precise circumstances.

If you were offered a voucher or a refund, and selected the voucher by choice, it’s a grey area.

If you were only offered a voucher then regulators have made clear you are entitled to insist on a refund. In fact DOT in USA is forcing airlines to re-contact airlines and make that clear.

One option may be to ask your card provider to reimburse you and do a charge back or claim under S75 of Consumer Credit Act if a UK credit card.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Am I correct to assume that, as Amex is a charge, not credit, card, it falls outside S75 of the Consumer Credit Act?

ASK1945
    Participant

My own experience with Amex is that whatever its designation, they have operated under Section 75.

1 user thanked author for this post.

JMarshall
    Participant

Thank you, I need to contact BA but dread the amount of time spent hanging on a phone!

JMarshall
    Participant

I used a credit card so will follow up
    Thank you

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have an unused London Terminals to Sheffield (restricted off peak) valid until 3rd April 20, which I was unable to use. Ticket was bought at Doncaster station. Any ideas about use of ticket once the non essential travel restrictions are lifted… ?

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=995918][/postquote]

I believe you have to obtain a refund and then get a new one.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=995920]I believe you have to obtain a refund and then get a new one[/quote]

Thank you SimonS1 – The train company wins on this one. The used outbound journey accounted for 95% of the ticket price, the return portion was a couple of pound add on, offered to me at point of purchase.

In the whole scheme of things, not worth pursuing, just annoying…

T
    Participant

On a more positive note I had a BA holidays booking in club and the return flight was cancelled on 18 May. I phoned BA and the lady kindly refunded the whole booking without any quibble.

Excellent service!

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=996252][/postquote]

I will bet that you phoned BA Holidays, rather than BA itself. My previous experience with BA Holidays, when flights were cancelled for reasons outside BA’s control, (twice in the last 3 years) was that BA Holidays were excellent in looking after us.

Montysaurus
    Participant

I have just changed an Amex companion voucher BA reward flight through their call centre. I had tried several times to do it online but all sorts of “computer says no” messages kept appearing. The call centre gentleman was excellent and got it all sorted. I only had to wait about 2 or 3 minutes before I got through to him. I mump about BA’s attitude to its customers regularly but on this occasion I have nothing but praise.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=995937]Thank you SimonS1 – The train company wins on this one. The used outbound journey accounted for 95% of the ticket price, the return portion was a couple of pound add on, offered to me at point of purchase.[/quote]

Martyn – you must have purchased a flexible return ticket. Had you purchased an Advance fare (which like LCC tariffs are sold o/w only) it would doubtless have been a different outcome.

capetonianm
    Participant

I think this may be useful for those trying to get information about refunds and cancellation policies :

https://www.tripadvisor.com/blog/covid-19-airline-cancellation-and-change-policies/?translate=en

MartynSinclair
    Participant

P and O (and others cruise lines) have now suspended all sailings until 31st July 2020. I was due on the new IONA (which has not yet been delivered) for a May cruise. Offered 125% in cruise credit or 100% refund. Took the 100% refund, which will take 60 days!!

Ryan refund, needs to be sent to AMEX for charge back due to Ryan appearing to refuse cash refunds “until the COVID 19 emergency has passed”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls