Visa on arrival

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• Tim2soza
    Participant

Missed 4 days in Moscow and a F redemption flight on the basis that my passport had less than six months to run. My fault, but frustrating that visa on arrival for short business trips wasn’t an option. (I know Russia and UK have ‘history’)

pdtraveller
    Participant

$60 per person for an Indian visa !

For a tourist this put me right off. Why would you pay that when many countries do not require it and offer safer cleaner and wholly better experiences.

Is this the most expensive tourist visa out there or are there worse?

Cloud-9
    Participant

Andy Thailand: The Lao PDR VOA price can vary from country to country. It is US$10 cheaper to travel on an Australian passort (for example) than a UK one!

CraigWatson: See if you are able to get a VietNam based agent to arrange a VOA for you. We visited in April and it was a lot easier (and cheaper, even bearing in mind his $15 pp fee) for him to do the paperwork, which took less than a week. Just rock up with the documents and a photo.

You will end up with two pages of your passport transformed into works of art!

Simples

Cloud-9
    Participant

PD – I visited Russia a few years ago and they charged £80 pp. I imagine it has increased somewhat since….And it wasn’t VOA 🙁

The first time I was in India a visa cost €65, the last time €50. I have a feeling it is much more for British passport holders. But well worth it!

IamSpartacus
    Participant

I certainly wish there was VOA at Lagos as the two days i have to lose simply submitting and collecting my visa application here in the UK has increasingly become a detterent for me.
    I have applied for a multiple entry business visa on numerous occasions but never get one issued and there is always a new reason as to why i am not eligable. I am sure it is just an excuse to rinse me every time i need to travel. On my last trip i did meet a bishop who gave me a contact number for a friend in the London embassy who, for a fee, could guarantee me a business visa but i dont know if i want to encourage and enable this corruption by taking part in it.

HarryMonk
    Participant

Alexpo

I looked at getting an Indian tourist visa a few weeks ago, with all the visa fees, processing fees and postage the cost was not far shy of £100. With the time involved due to the postage as well as the need for me to retain my passport for other business trips and unclear information regarding the actual costs on the official website I decided that for the short duration of the trip to India it was just not worth the effort.
    However I have no doubt that the high fees and slow processing is probably due to reciprocity?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi Ian, yes, definitely. I won’t visit Angola because of the visa hassles as an example.

Another example is the US. I normally go once a year in November. However I’ve now got to fill in this ESTA nonsense and pay (while the Americans can visit here without visa, fingerprinting etc) for the pleasure. Our new Chairman has agreed we can now participate by FaceTime, so saves me several ‘000’s and is in turn another small loss to the US/NY economy.

My spend won’t register a bip, but if 10,000 others think like me, it adds up!

PS. We appointed a new head at Eltham today. Paul is retiring next year. Exciting times for the school!

narutolai
    Participant

http://www.vietnamimmigration.com is a Vietnam based visa-processing agency that helps travelers visiting their country. Besides routine visa processing, they also offer emergency services such as eVisa and visa on arrival, and are open on weekends as well as public holidays.

PegasusAir
    Participant

I have visited India both on business and leisure a few times and have friends there. I would visit them each year, maybe en route, if it wasn’t for the visa – the time it takes, risk of losing in the mail and to a lesser extent the cost, all conspire to make me keep putting it off although planning to risk it next year.
    Similarly China although am planning to tag a Shanghai (my first visit – been to Beijing before)) visit to my next HKG trip. Am travelling out to HKG and back from PVG on BA Avios but will buy my CX ticket HKG-PVG and plan to stay just under 72 hours. Does anyone know if one has to tell anyone in advance (CX?) as I am not on a through ticket, or does one just turn up? Any experiences of the 72 hour visa free stay?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I think you have to be on a through ticket for 72 hour transit visa to work.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/

PegasusAir
    Participant

Thanks TF.
    Useful link, but I can’t see any reference to it having to be on a single ticket unless I am missing it. No round trips but travelling HKG-PVG on CX and PVG-LHR on BA within 72 hours seems to qualify. I probably need to double check with CX though before booking.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

It is in the first paragraph – confirmed Interline as below:

Confirmed interline ticket and valid visa to the third country or region (if required) are needed for entry. According to presentations by the Exit and Entry Administration of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau (PSB), the 72 hour will be counted from the moment visitors get their transit permits, but not the time when they land at the airport.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I avoid india because of the visa issues. Was once a regular visitor.

However, India will be visa on arrival in 2015 !!

peterwest
    Participant

I noticed on the Sydney Morning Herald online edition last Friday that India has approved a further 37 countries for Visa on Arrival, for me the inclusion of Australia was important but of more importance to UK Business Travelers, the UK was not on the list! So tit for tat it is…………

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls