Virtual mobile number

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Inquisitive
    Participant

Need advice on virtual mobile phone numbers.
    I was assigned to US sometime ago and back to my home location. I canceled my US phone numbers. Now I need a US mobile number for OTP for some of my bank transactions.

I see a lot of options in internet. Does anyone have experience using virtual mobile phone – especially for getting OTP?
    Any other recommendations?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

I use a company called Truphone for my UK number. I am simple PAYG because that suits me. Not sure if it is still possible as PAYG but they had a feature whereby you can have a virtual US, ES or HK number on the same SIM.

Here is a link https://www.truphone.com/#welcome

No affiliation with them just a customer

3 users thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Is it possible with Skype?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have the reverse situation, whereby I need OTP sent from a US bank whilst Iam in the UK. Whilst these can not be sent to a UK phone there is an option for them to be sent to an email address instead.

If the OTP can only be sent by text I am not sure whether a virtual web based number can accept texts via computer. I am sure someone else can answer. If your bank will send OTP by email, then a virtual web based number should work, just use the option for OTP via email.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1091574]

As far as I am aware Skype only have virtual land-lines, and I have one.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

For the sake of clarity: One Time Password (?)

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I thought ‘online transaction payments’ but I could be wrong. I also have a US bank account and card, but they are happy to send me codes and other checks to my UK mobile. But that may of course vary from bank to bank.

flytlink
    Participant

transcomvoip.com is pretty good, been with them for many years. Immediate setup, plus SMS options, forwarding and unlimited as standard.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Sorry, I should have clarified. Yes, one time password. [postquote quote=1091940]

Inquisitive
    Participant

[postquote quote=1091767]

I have 2 bank account. On one code via email is possible, but for the other one, it allows only mobile phone and that too only US number.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1092055]I have 2 bank account. On one code via email is possible, but for the other one, it allows only mobile phone and that too only US number.[/quote]

Perhaps someone can answer whether a web created virtual USA number can accept text messages – if so, you may have a solution.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Maybe you know someone who could buy a PAYG card for you and have it sent to your home? You could then top it up with your credit card.

simeoncox
    Participant

[postquote quote=1091940]

One-time password: a real-time electronic confirmation when enacting an online transaction (such as a flight ticket purchase or food delivery from a restaurant aggregator).

I have had both my Australian and two Indian mobile numbers cancelled for different reasons (but each rooted in bureaucracy) and am left in a position where (a) I am living off street food in India and (b) having to email my Australian bank each time I want to make a ticket purchase (when trying to secure my passage out of India).

I was unaware of virtual numbers for such a situation, so this topic offers new opportunities for me.

RoyJones
    Participant

Be interested to know if this works. I have a US PAYG phone and it doesn’t connect to a network outside the US and Canada (and a few Caribbean countries that have +1 as their country code). I can get emails on it, but only using wifi.

RomP
    Participant

I use a company called Numero eSim, I to was in a similar situation with BOA. I spent nearly £30 on a phone call to BOA trying to resolve or find a workaround as I was sceptical of using a using a virtual number. With all my options exhausted (I believed) and after spending a fair amount I had enough and decided to give them Numero a try. Downloaded their app on my iPhone, signed up to for a number in NY for 12 months, I think it cost €12 for the number and I paid €1 for 100mins of call time (most calls are $0.01/min). I set it up, updated my banking details with the number and hey presto, just like that my account was fully functional online again. I recently topped up €5 as I needed to make a ‘proper phone call’ i.e not using a social media app or teams/zoom. I have been had this for 5-6 months.

There seems to be lots of other things you can do but, for now its really just of OTP for my online banking and the occasional USA calls.

Their Link:
    https://www.numeroesim.com

I am not affiliated to these guys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls