Virgin Trains Joins Virgin Atlantic’s Loyalty Scheme, Flying Club

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Since December 7 2009, Virgin Trains joined Virgin Atlantic’s loyalty scheme, Flying Club

The aim is to encourage people to use Virgin Trains where they may not normally do so.

Members of the scheme can earn miles on flights, car hire, hotel stays, shopping, Virgin Balloon flights and, now, Virgin Trains too. There are just over one million members of the Flying Club with many based in the South East.

Members can now earn two miles per £1 spent on a Virgin Trains journey booked via http://www.virgintrains.com.

How it works

Within the scheme miles can only be earned on journeys booked via http://www.virgintrains.com for travel on Virgin Trains only and a Flying Club membership number is provided at time of booking. Any other journeys or booking channels will not earn miles. If a journey starts or ends on another train operator then we advise members to buy the different journeys separately to ensure points are earned on the Virgin Trains journey.

Advance tickets are non refundable and therefore points will be allocated after the journey date has passed. Miles will be allocated up to five days after the day of travel. Anytime, Off Peak, Super Off Peak and Virgin Business tickets allow more flexibility about the date or time and are refundable so miles will be allocated up to 65 days after the outward date of travel.

Under the scheme customers can only earn miles with Virgin Trains, not redeem them.

Managing customer queries

Any retrospective claims for points, where a member didn’t enter their Flying Club number, will be handled by Virgin Atlantic. Customers should be advised to go to the Flying Club section of Virgin Atlantic website to claim for missing miles.

————

Quite handy, especially if you fly VS only rarely and need something to keep your Flying Club miles alive.

The Virgin Pendolino First Class service is excellent midweek, though the trainsets’ tilting action does make me feel queasy.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’ve earned a few hundred miles with this scheme; well worth bearing in mind when you make bookings on the vomit-inducing Pendolinos.

hazban1
    Participant

Have earned a few miles from Cumbria to London, but in February it is costing much less to drive to Manchester Apt-park-fly BMI to Heathrow-stay overnight at the Hilton, then fly Upper Class to Miami, than it would be to pay to park at Penrith Station and travel Virgin to Euston and on to Heathrow!

Where is the logic in that, why not a ‘through’ ticket including rail and air?

ktjltd123
    Participant

Has anyone suffered the frustration in buying a Virgin Trains season ticket (from the station, as these are not available online) and then being told you cant claim the Virgin flyer airmiles?

This is an extrememly frustrating situation given that i am paying a premium of nearly £17,000 per year to use the vrigin trains pendolino service into London Euston.

I just wondered if there were any similar instances with other season ticket holders where this was actually resolved with Virgin Atlantic?

MarcusUK
    Participant

I have used Virgin Trains regularly in the last couple of years, booking when logged into my Virgin Atlantic Flying Club account.
    Have always had my miles added quickly, and using the Virgin Atlantic Black card, added another 2 miles per £1 spent, so 4 per £.

I find the trains the best service in the country for 1st Class, though the food standards and selection has gone through the floor compared to the same 2 years, and a year ago.
    Excellent value for off peak weekday 1st class travel…

ktjltd123
    Participant

My frustration is NOT being able to book the season ticket via the Virgin websites (these are only available at the train station), so wondered if anyone had this problem and if they ever managed to secure the flying club points from the train tickets purchased from the station?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls