Virgin From Gatwick

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Johnnyg
    Participant

Interesting article in yesterdays Sunday Times magazine (09 June 2024) re Virgin and Richard Branson.

Firstly RB stated that he wanted a bar area to return as soon as possible and that is was a mistake to axe them. More importantly it will soon announce a raft of new routes including North America and beyond many flying from Gatwick.

It will be interesting to see what routes, start dates and schedules.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes that’s interesting Jonnyg.

LGW certainly wants growth and, I suspect, long-haul rather than short-haul leisure.

Timesofaviation.com today carries an interview with LGW’s CCO Jonathan Pollard who reveals that LGW has been in discussions with both Air India and Indigo to add more services. (Indigo currently does not serve LGW)

Pollard says that an airline can operate from LGW for “50 per cent less than from Heathrow.”

He claims that “LGW can provide airlines with greater incentives than can Heathrow.”

sparkyflier
    Participant

Johnnyg- thank you for your post. I do not mean to hijack it but can I politely suggest all Virgin routes discussions are kept in one thread .. to avoid duplication etc. I hope this suggestion does not cause any offence …

Virgin Atlantic joining Skyteam – what “new routes” can you envisage?

2 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Personally, I think Virgin Atlantic joining Skyteam (and any resulting new routes that follow) and Virgin Atlantic relaunching services from Gatwick are suitably different topics to justify their own, separate posts.

It’s not as if there is just the single thread about BA!

6 users thanked author for this post.

wyltk89
    Participant

I do agree about the bar, it didn’t seem like a good idea at the time and it seems that has been proven. I was very fortunate to fly upper with my parents and enjoy a drink with them in the bar on the 747 several years ago and it will always be something I remember.

For Gatwick to thrive it does need some improvements, especially in regards to public transport to and from the airport. As someone that travels from outside london to get to heathrow/gatwick its a bit of a struggle

Mark
    Participant

I would love to see Vs leave LHR and really work hard at bringing back the heyday the airline created from LGW.

Passengers flocked to Virgin in the early years because of the great service and experience.

If Global airlines are potentially seeing an opportunity with all the hype they are creating for LGW…..

MGGA (Make Gatwick great again) lololo

4 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I’m not sure I would want Virgin to leave Heathrow but it would be great to have them back at Gatwick operating long-haul leisure flights and, hopefully, providing BA with a bit more competition on existing routes (Cancun for example) and perhaps even starting some new ones.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

I presume that restarting Gatwick wouldn’t necessarily mean leaving Heathrow.

On the other hand if they cashed their slots at Heathrow it could be quite lucrative?

SimonS1
    Participant

In other news, news reports indicate a KM Malta pilot was using her rest days to fly for Virgin!!

KM Malta pilot caught flying for another airline in breach of safety rules

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

That is baffling on so many different levels that it’s hard to know where to start with any comments.

cwoodward
    Participant

If this report is accurate it raises a lot of questions.

Seemingly she is rated on KM Malta’s A320 -but Virgin dont fly the A320 thus she must have done a conversion course or possibly her Virgin employment preceded her employment with KM and she was rated on the A330/ A350.

While she almost certainly broke her contracted terms with her employer(s) providing that she did infringe flight time limitations (FTLs) and worked under 100 flying hours within 28 day possibly she did not no break flying regulations. If she also observed the statutory rest regulations then she may have satisfied these legal requirements also.

It is not unheard of for pilots to operate for more than one airline (but with consent) and way back pilots working for small AU airlines often operated overnight freight flights for another airline a couple of times a week.

MarkivJ
    Participant

I don’t ever see VS leaving LHR and I wouldn’t advise them to, at this stage. Back in the BA-BCAL days, LHR and LGW were almost like today’s JFK and EWR: 2 separate standalone hubs that both had their own traffic, connections, aliances, etc. Today, LGW is seen as the poorer sister of LHR, very few premium airlines fly there, or to premium cities, so I doubt anyone would want to fly into LGW unless there’s a really good fare. VS will have to poach all of its skyteam sisters to LGW if they’re cashing in on transit traffic – which again makes up a big chunk of European carriers’ load.

Best case scenario is VS does what BA is doing: keep LGW as a secondary minor hub

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

There is precisely zero chance of Virgin leaving Heathrow although, as already stated, I would love to see them re-start from Gatwick. For that matter, I would also like to see BA increase it’s long haul flights from Gatwick.

5 users thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Just picking up on MarkivJ’s point about LGW and premium carriers, I read CX is not coming back winter 24/25, as was being touted.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls