Virgin Feedback

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• TupeloKid
    Participant

I have just returned from a trip to the UK, travelling on VS. A few days after arriving in the UK, I got one of their feedback e-mails, which included the words “We can’t wait to hear all about your experience”.

Imagine my surprise when I got round to the survey a few days later and found that – indeed – they could not wait, and “the survey to which you were invited has expired”.

Well, since you asked, Virgin, your staff are excellent, but your product leaves something to be desired.

Your Upper Class has the most bizarre business class layout I have experienced, with a combination of minimal lateral space and the “meerkat” feeling of having your head poking up with the rest of the section looking at you, and/or you looking at them, depending whether you are in the middle of the plane or near the windows.

I say “near the windows” – if you have a window seat, the seat will actually be positioned pointing towards the meerkats in the middle, and such that you can’t see out of the window without leaning forward and craning your neck.

Despite the meerkat feeling when sitting up, lying down (sleeping in the flat bed) is akin to the Saddam Hussein spider-hole experience: the combination of the narrow space and vertical walls making it quite claustrophobic. I could imagine some passengers experiencing panic attacks.

The bizarre consequence is that, having once used points to upgrade from Premium Economy, I would not do so again, finding VS Premium Economy to be excellent in all respects, to the point of being preferable to Upper Class. In other words, I would effectively not take a free upgrade. For this reason, on my return trip I even declined the opportunity to use points to upgrade directly from Economy to Upper (Premium being full).

To complete the circle of the VS cabins, Economy (which I took for the return leg) is what it says on the tin, with the seats being at least sit-on-able for long haul, unlike (say) CX even for short haul, so no complaint there. However, although I do not normally eat dinner on planes, I did wait for the meal service this time, but for the first time I ever had to (politely but quickly) return the meal opened but uneaten. Being British, I am obviously not a fussy eater, but there are limits. (I would post a photo to share how awful the dish was, but the file is too big for the forum.)

(The 3 x 3 x 3 Economy layout, though, means that a window seat is actually more hemmed in than the normally dreaded middle seat of the centre aisle, but I guess that is common sense.)

2 users thanked author for this post.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

I was surprised to read your comments. I would choose Virgin Upper Class over most other business class.

I like the flip-over seat and fitted mattress cover. I like the sleeper suit. I like the bar, although wouldn’t want my seat next to it. I thought the food was very good. The Virgin lounges are excellent.

I also wonder why you say that being British means you aren’t a fussy eater. Is that because you see British cuisine as in some way behind perhaps French? If so you’ve been eating in the wrong British restaurants these last ten years.

2 users thanked author for this post.

TupeloKid
    Participant

I agree, BugAdvisor, that the Virgin lounges (at least the LHR one) are very good. The Hong Kong one is (or was when I used it a couple of years back) very basic.

The comment about not being a fussy eater was a throwaway remark to emphasise the point that I was not being a food snob when making my criticism. (Obviously British humour has changed as much as the food since I’ve been away!) But I had three excellent British meals in the UK last week, at the German Cafe in Solihull, the Palms Of Goa in Charlotte Street, and the Lahore Kebab House in Whitechapel.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think the airline will benefit from its new business class seat. here’s the BT review

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/04/08/virgin-atlantic-unveils-new-a350-upper-class-suite/ – just noticed in the computer generated picture, the window is partially blocked….

Whilst the article suggests the new suite is only being fitted on the A350, talking to staff on a recent round trip to HKG, they confirmed the seat was being fitted across the fleet.

toonfan62
    Participant

Not a fan of the bed but have to say that the Clubhouses (JFK, LHR and LGW) and excellent as are food both in the Clubhouse and on board (in all three classes). I’m a huge fan of their vegetarian curries and their food in general is a class above other airlines I’ve flown.

AJDC
    Participant

I for one love the lounge at LHR. I find it one of the best in the world.
    A few years ago, I had a lobster bisque on board – one of the best bisque I have ever had.
    I like the seats and the fact that VS provides you with a pj.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I do like what you find displeasing on VS.

Hands down, the most ridiculous business class layout is found on carriers with seats facing the rear of the air craft. Absolutely abhorrent.

TupeloKid
    Participant

[quote quote=951139]I for one love the lounge at LHR. I find it one of the best in the world.

A few years ago, I had a lobster bisque on board – one of the best bisque I have ever had.

I like the seats and the fact that VS provides you with a pj.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I do like what you find displeasing on VS.

Hands down, the most ridiculous business class layout is found on carriers with seats facing the rear of the air craft. Absolutely abhorrent.[/quote]

Yes, the LHR lounge is fantastic. I would serious consider living there permanently.

Not sure why I didn’t get the PJs on the flight: maybe I was in too much of a hurry to crash out.

I should like to emphasise that I think the Premium Economy is the best on the route, though, despite my dislike of Upper.

AJDC
    Participant

I can’t attest to premium economy as I do not fly anything with economy in its name.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

[quote quote=951234]I can’t attest to premium economy as I do not fly anything with economy in its name.[/quote]

Thank goodness……

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls